Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

democracy, free speech, civility, protest?

5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This is why I stressed even ONE protest (and even from a team a NFL fan may not even care about \ watch).

E.g. My friend just got back from visiting his 78 year old day for the Labor day weekend.  His old joker had watched the NFL every weekend for decades.  Decades.   We watched the Super Bowl and this is where I found out that was the first NFL game he watched since the protest started.   I didn't ask a lot of questions (he is a classic angry old white guy),  but I assume he is boycotting again.    The guy was in the military and was a fireman. 

Yes,  to me there people are 'nut cases' but like I said they exist.   They will always view such protest as unpatriotic.   

Note the left is doing something similar;  E.g. the New Yorker was having their annual group-hug meeting and the editor invited Bannon.  Well after most of the guest speakers (e.g. Jim Carrey),  said they would NOT attend,  he had to un-invite Bannon.    The editor really had no choice since a majority of guest speakers threaten to pull out. 

Bottom line is that boycotts can be effective if the numbers are there. 

Didn't someone here post the New Yorker editor's memo on why Bannon had been dropped?

I read it somewhere. They probably should have just let him speak, knowing that he's just going

to give out with the same old nut job stuff he always does. Yes, boycotts can be effective if they

start to really hurt the boycottee and if customers disagree with the company. A company like

Chick Fil A wouldn't be hurt by a liberal boycott since most of its customer agree with the company.

I watch NFL games if it is a team I'm interested in. I'd likely skip a Jaguars-Titans match up, etc.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hard for me to predict what people will do when I don't really 'get' why they feel so strongly,  but if I was an NFL owner or part of senior NFL management,  I wouldn't be as optimistic as you are they 'almost all will come back'.

The main reason being Trump.    Most of the people I have meet that are really upset about these NFL protest are Trump supporters and anti-black athletes in general (I'm not saying they are racist,  but they are outspoken about how much they dislike rich black athletes that complain \ are outspoken \ don't just "play ball").    

Now that Nike has taken the side of the players \ black athletes, we have a classic culture war feud and I don't see either side just getting over it.    Note that there is already a boycott of all Nike products (E.g.  there are videos on-line of men burning all of their Nike products (well mostly their kids products),  to protest Nike's stance and of course black athletes all coming out to support Nike and recommending people that support the 'cause' buy more of their product.

I find support by the black community for Nike humorous since Nike products are mostly made by Asians,  getting 'slave' wages and way over priced for the average member of the black community (or any community).   In fact Jordan (MJ) was criticized many years ago by black activist for supporting Nike and getting paid millions for doing so,  since Nike employs few Americans,  and almost no black Americans.    

Not being an athletic fan of any kind, probably don't know what I am talking about.  But, the football fans I know worship the sport and I just don't see them letting this issue come between them and the support.  Not more than a couple of percent anyway.  As for Nike, never have thought much of their products and many "sports" products are all PR or celebrity hoopla anyway.

47 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

VoteVetsVerified account @votevets 2h2 hours ago

Thank You @Nike for standing up for the Constitution of the United States we have fought to protect and defend! #JustDoIt

DmhbgC0XgAAFmJD.jpg

What is going on in the NFL is a labor dispute.   It has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment.

I just don't understand why so many people,  like this VoteVet group, are confused about that.     

16 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Thank you, Nike! Your slave labor is A okay now. Woohoo!

Nice to see that someone else understands Nike.   Here is what I posted a few days back:

I find support by the black community for Nike humorous since Nike products are mostly made by Asians,  getting 'slave' wages and way over priced for the average member of the black community (or any community).   In fact Jordan (MJ) was criticized many years ago by black activist for supporting Nike and getting paid millions for doing so,  since Nike employs few Americans,  and almost no black Americans.    

Black Police Group Supports Nike Deal with Colin Kaepernick Despite Police Unions’ Boycott

.......... the National Black Police Association released an open letter they sent to Mark Parker, Nike’s CEO. In the letter, the group not only condemned the calls from traditionally white police organizations to boycott Nike, but congratulated Nike on its new campaign featuring Kaepernick. .....

“NAPO believes that Mr. Kaepernick’s choice to openly protest issues surging police brutality, racism and social injustices in this country makes him anti-police,” Pruitt wrote. “On the contrary, the NBPA believes that Mr. Kaepernick’s stance is in direct alignment with what law enforcement stands for—the protection of a people, their human rights, their dignity, their safety, and their rights as American citizens.”

The letter is powerful not only because it debunks many popular notions about how police feel about Kaepernick. It also shows how much of that rhetoric is more about race and culture than it is about the profession of policing....

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/05/colin-kaepernick-nike-ad-black-police/.

• Like 1

Reddit bans Qanon subreddits after months of violent threats

Reddit was key to Qanon’s emergence from the fringe corners of the internet and into more mainstream conspiracy and far-right media circles.

The community, called /r/GreatAwakening, had more than 71,000 subscribers making over 10,000 comments on average per day before it was banned. A backup subreddit, /r/the_greatawakening, was also banned, along with 17 other Qanon focused communities, including r/BiblicalQ and r/Quincels.

The subreddit, which is a term for the common interest groups that make up Reddit, has been host to a stream of violent threats based on the conspiracy theory — despite repeated calls from the community’s moderators urging them to stop, particularly in recent weeks.

Qanon devotees falsely believe that President Donald Trump is secretly waging a war with special counsel Robert Mueller to take down a global pedophile ring led by Hollywood celebrities and the Democratic Party, most notably Hillary Clinton....

Threats to kill Clinton pervaded GreatAwakening earlier this month when users were incensed by a Qanon-based theory that she was somehow causing military planes to fall out of the sky. GreatAwakening members implored the community to “kill all enemies” ....

moderators moved Qanon posts from 8chan, a hard-to-navigate internet message board used mostly by trolls and younger people, to Reddit, making it accessible to a larger, older, and less internet savvy audience of conspiracy theorists. From there, Qanon crept to Facebook, where it continued to grow.

A spokesman for Reddit confirmed the banning in a statement to NBC News.

“As of September 12, r/greatawakening has been banned due to repeated violations of the terms of our content policy,” the spokesperson said. “We are very clear in our site terms of service that posting content that incites violence, disseminates personal information, or harasses will get users and communities banned from Reddit."

............GreatAwakening users began to waver in their support when former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort was found guilty of eight felony counts as part of Mueller’s Russia probe, and the president’s former personal lawyer Michael Cohen pleaded guilty to eight felony charges. Q had repeatedly led posters to believe Mueller, Manafort and Cohen were working in tandem to catch the alleged child sex ring.

“Q” posted on 8chan shortly after Reddit’s action, aligning the ban with Alex Jones, who along with his website Infowars were recently removed from Facebook, Google, Twitter and Apple.

On its last day, r/GreatAwakening users had reverted to rote conspiracy talking points from years’ past — claiming 9/11 was an inside job, and that the Anthrax investigation was covered up by Mueller.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/reddit-bans-qanon-subreddits-after-months-violent-threats-n909061

:rolleyes:

:)

Florida governor booed out of restaurant over red tide algae issues

Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) was reportedly booed out of a restaurant as protesters vented their frustration over the state’s red algae tide crisis.

Scott was making a campaign stop in Venice, Fla., when he was met with angry protesters outside of Mojo’s Real Cuban restaurant on Monday,

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/407141-florida-governor-booed-out-of-restaurant-over-red-tide-algae-issues

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Sen. Ted Cruz Heckled Out Of DC Restaurant By Anti-Kavanaugh Activists

The Texas Republican has come under fire for his unwavering support of the Supreme Court nominee who is accused of sexual misconduct.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ted-cruz-brett-kavanaugh-dc-restaurant-protest_us_5ba9ae48e4b0375f8f9fea11?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Not right that Senator Cruz and his wife Heidi were surrounded and forced to leave a restaurant last night because of protesters. The Cruz family should be treated with respect.

The HillVerified account @thehill 46m46 minutes ago

1,600 men voice support for Christine Blasey Ford in New York Times ad

http://hill.cm/mSOcSE3 

"We are 1,600 men who now stand behind Professor Anita Hill, as well as Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, because we believe them," the advertisement reads.

"As men who are allies in the fight to end violence and harassment against women and girls, we write to express our strong support of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford for her willingness to speak out publicly and testify before the Senate about the sexual assault that she says was perpetrated against her by Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh."

"demands that both Dr. Blasey Ford and her story be treated fairly, impartially, and with respect” and calls for "all men of good will to stand with us to ensure that Dr. Blasey Ford's story is carefully and fully examined without bias or prejudice."  .....

DoDtr5XU0AAyHiL.jpg

Activists, politicians call on EPA to drop Trump plan to relax emissions standards for coal-fired power plants

Environmental and health advocates from across the country flocked to Chicago on Monday to speak out at the only public meeting on the Trump administration’s coal-friendly energy proposal.

Groups gathered throughout the morning at the Metcalfe Federal Building to call on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to abandon President Donald Trump’s Affordable Clean Energy proposal, which would relax emissions standards for coal-fired power plants.

A half-hour into the hearing, about two dozen activists wearing shirts reading “Stop killing us” assembled in the front of the meeting room and began shouting,

“When people and climate are under attack, what do we do? Stand up! Fight back!”......

The Trump administration proposal was largely viewed by environmentalists as another attempt to prop up the withering coal industry, which is being supplanted by natural gas, a cheaper alternative that also emits less carbon dioxide.

It also roused concerns as many cited an EPA analysis that acknowledged the pollutants given off from the Affordable Clean Energy rule could lead to as many as 1,400 premature deaths per year by 2030 and 15,000 cases of upper-respiratory problems.

“The EPA is taking an existing rule that doesn’t do enough and making it worse,”......

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-clean-energy-rule-epa-hearing-20180930-story.html#

• Like 1

Common Dreams @commondreams 25m25 minutes ago

Mass Arrests as Thousands Descend on Senate Office Building Demanding Lawmakers Reject Kavanaugh

"Incredible scene on Capital Hill right now, where thousands of anti-Kavanaugh protesters have taken over the Hart Senate Office Building."

"Whose Senate? Our Senate!" anti- Kavanaugh protesters at the Capital

http://ow.ly/p5Qs30m6Cp1 

Doskv8TW0AAfNko.jpg

Saluting the Trump administration, not so nicely

With raised middle fingers, many in and around D.C. are telling the president how they really feel.

"......the gestures — generally protected as free expression under the First Amendment — serve as reminders that at least some of Washington has greeted the Trump administration as a hostile occupying power. Former President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden would occasionally show their faces in public here, popping into D.C. burger joints to grab lunch and make some political point.

Trump, on the other hand, tends to venture only to his own hotel for high-dollar fundraisers and gatherings of supporters.

When Trump’s aides do show up in public in or near Washington, the reception can be hostile...

The flipping phenomenon is not limited to Washington. In New York, a city built on fewer pretensions of civility, flipping off Trump Tower has become something of a pastime.

In Chicago, flipping off that city's Trump Tower came into vogue during the presidential primaries, when a valet at a nearby hotel told the news site DNAinfo that he saw “at least four people a day“ doing it. There is an entire Instagram account, @FlipTrumpOff, dedicated to saluting the nation’s Trump-branded properties. .....

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/10/trump-anger-washington-obscene-gesture-880707

:D

"I Confronted Mitch McConnell And Interrupted Susan Collins.

And I’ll Do It Again."

"..... I am the executive director of Positive Women’s Network – USA (PWN), a national network of women and transgender people living with HIV — but you may know me as one of “those people” who followed McConnell through Washington, D.C.’s National Airport last week, as seen in a tweet that quickly went viral. I, and others like me, confronted McConnell and other politicians in airports and offices and elevators earlier this month

because they refuse to meet with the people whom they allegedly represent. ......

I was one of six people arrested in the Senate gallery and detained by Capitol Police for seven hours for disrupting Sen. Susan Collins’ (R-Maine) speech affirming her vote for Kavanaugh, as we attempted to make a desperate, last-minute appeal to her humanity and her own experience as a woman who has certainly survived patriarchy. 

I will do it all again whenever and wherever I’m needed ― and I am not alone. As a woman of color living with HIV and the daughter of immigrants, I want to make it clear: There are tens of millions of us with a lot of skin in the judicial game. Women. People of color. LGBTQ individuals. People with disabilities and chronic health conditions. Low-income folks. People born in other countries who have made the U.S. their home, or who hope to someday.

We understand that our rights hang in the balance and, for many of us, our lives are literally at risk. We are survivors not just of sexual violence, but of entire systems designed to harm us....

We will not sit down and shut up. We will keep screaming.

We will continue to confront our elected officials wherever we encounter them. We will not be dissuaded by the police or fines or jail time. We have a brave, bold vision for the world we want to live in and of what justice means to us....."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/activist-confront-mitch-mcconnell_us_5bbe273ce4b01470d0580741?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

2 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

"I Confronted Mitch McConnell And Interrupted Susan Collins.

And I’ll Do It Again."

"..... I am the executive director of Positive Women’s Network – USA (PWN), a national network of women and transgender people living with HIV — but you may know me as one of “those people” who followed McConnell through Washington, D.C.’s National Airport last week, as seen in a tweet that quickly went viral. I, and others like me, confronted McConnell and other politicians in airports and offices and elevators earlier this month

because they refuse to meet with the people whom they allegedly represent. ......

I was one of six people arrested in the Senate gallery and detained by Capitol Police for seven hours for disrupting Sen. Susan Collins’ (R-Maine) speech affirming her vote for Kavanaugh, as we attempted to make a desperate, last-minute appeal to her humanity and her own experience as a woman who has certainly survived patriarchy. 

I will do it all again whenever and wherever I’m needed ― and I am not alone. As a woman of color living with HIV and the daughter of immigrants, I want to make it clear: There are tens of millions of us with a lot of skin in the judicial game. Women. People of color. LGBTQ individuals. People with disabilities and chronic health conditions. Low-income folks. People born in other countries who have made the U.S. their home, or who hope to someday.

We understand that our rights hang in the balance and, for many of us, our lives are literally at risk. We are survivors not just of sexual violence, but of entire systems designed to harm us....

We will not sit down and shut up. We will keep screaming.

We will continue to confront our elected officials wherever we encounter them. We will not be dissuaded by the police or fines or jail time. We have a brave, bold vision for the world we want to live in and of what justice means to us....."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/activist-confront-mitch-mcconnell_us_5bbe273ce4b01470d0580741?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Far too many of these GOP representatives in Regional and federal government seem to think that once they get in their office it is their personal property.

It's never too much nor is it ever wrong to remind them that they represent all of their constituents, whether you voted for them or not.

These people need to be reminded that they are in a democracy; they are representing real life human beings. And they need to listen to what those people have to say to them. They don't have a choice in that. If they're going to be real public servants and not just corrupt grafters.

• Like 1

ACLUVerified account @ACLU 4h4 hours ago

The Trump administration wants to:

✓ close 80 percent of the White House sidewalk

✓ put new limits on spontaneous demonstrations

✓ open the door to charging fees for protesting

And this is our LAST DAY to stop them. Don't wait.

https://action.aclu.org/petition/dc-restrict-demonstration-rights