Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mickeeteeze

Left Right Left.....

>This thread is one of those pods that "The Thing" thread spawned !

Yes, looks like it. Also, it might turn out like "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street", which is an old Twilight Zone episode.

>Also, it might turn out like "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street", which is an old Twilight Zone episode.

Oh, how I hated the kid in that episode.

"Aha! You spelled the lefties wrong. It's "Moore" and "Rhodes." Freudian slips, maybe

;)

HAHA.

Maybe. But Sean and Ann Make anymore sense than Michael Moore?

You don't really believe that, do you?

>ANN COULTER=MICHAEL MOORER

I don't listen to those people. I've got my own mind and my own opinions. If I listen to those people for 10 seconds, I get upset.

I have to constantly switch from CNN to FOX News, to MSNBC, then I get mad at all of them and I have to go to the internet for news.

Oh, to relate this topic to the "cinema", this reminds me of an old classic movie titled ?The Man Who Reclaimed His Head?.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025453/

This film used to air on local TV years ago, but I haven?t seen it in a long time.

It is about WW I and about how a capitalist newspaper owner ?steals? a liberal writer?s ?mind? (his ?brain,? his ?head?), and forces him to write articles promoting the start of WW I.

The writer, played by Claude Rains, finally goes nuts and goes and cuts off the head of his capitalist boss. That?s what the movie?s title is about.

This film was slightly disguised as a ?horror? film, but it was specifically a political film.

But Sean and Ann Make anymore sense than Michael Moore?

A lot less. Ooops, there I've done it.

>The writer, played by Claude Rains, finally goes nuts and goes and cuts off the head of his capitalist boss.

So who plays the head?

Well, my point being that Cine Sage wasn't the only "ideologue" loose last night.

I DVR'd a supposedly good special on "Pres Bush I"

I got news for all that think they know TRUE LIBERALISM. HW Bush made something of his "borne wealth"

That counts..

As everyone knows, this Twilight Zone episode is just an example of McCarthyism.

>As everyone knows, this Twilight Zone episode is just an example of McCarthyism.

With McCarthysim, you had one person trying to finger many people. In the TZ episode, you many people trying to finger just one.

This just in ... the UA 90th Anniversary Film Festival is coming to a theater near you!

Well, Freddie, I?'m running out for beer. If I could get you one, garanteed, I would. Mickees never shied from buying.

But, if I'm the closest thing to a leftist, we've got no fight. I'm a former Marine that hates the corporate grip on our political parties. I'm not as much a leftist as I am a realist.

Jobs in China? Debt in China?

BOTH?

Hows that help us? Without the spin?

Not at you Fred.....anyone.

Answer me if you can. I'm out for beer. I'll be back in 20.

Peace. Mickee.

>So who plays the head?

The capitalist is played by Lionel Atwill.

First, the title sequence opens with some eerie music, so it sounds like the start of a sci-fi film.

The opening scene shows a very unhappy looking Claude Rains walking down some street in Paris, carrying a round satchel. We already have the title of the film, so we all guess what is in the satchel.

Then he goes to his lawyer?s office and shows the lawyer what?s in the satchel. We don?t actually see what?s in it, but we figure it out by the title of the movie, and by the reaction of the lawyer. He is SHOCKED when he looks inside the satchel. Then the lawyer slowly opens the top drawer of his desk where we see a gun. Then we have the impression that the lawyer thinks Claude Rains is CRAZY, and the lawyer might have to use his gun to protect himself.

The lawyer asks him to tell the whole story, and Rains starts the long flash-back sequence.

He is so good at telling the story, at the end of the movie the lawyer jumps up and shouts, ?NO JURY IN FRANCE WILL CONVICT YOU FOR WHAT YOU?VE DONE!! (or something like that).

>With McCarthysim, you had one person trying to finger many people. In the TZ episode, you many people trying to finger just one.

I agree. It was a good episode about ?neighborhood paranoia? in general. The same sort of anti-Russian paranoia that went on in the ?50s also went on in the ?40s about Nazi and Japanese spies in our midst. Early during WW II, even Americans who were born in Italy decades earlier were under suspicion.

But that Twilight Zone episode is about us, people like us, becoming paranoid about each other, and not really knowing a solid reason why.

Note in that episode that the people weren?t only looking for a single victim to blame, but they were also searching for some crime to accuse him of committing.

>it was a good episode about ?neighborhood paranoia? in general.

More than that even, a classic example of searching for a scapegoat. Am I remembering right that there were extra-terrestrials who exploited this situation, to expose the nature of the "earthlings" or something like that? Wasn't that part of the punchline at the end? Or am I thinking of something else.

Well Fred, this "3 pages of replies in 1 hour" thread does prove one thing, how boring "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp" is. TCM - WAKE UP. I've heard of "99 bottles of beer on the wall" but 99 heads! The Boer War - who cares.

Message was edited by: hamradio

Yes, you're correct. And the spaceship scene at the end is footage from Forbidden Planet. One other bit of trivia: the episode was filmed on the street used in the Andy Hardy movies.

>I've heard of *99 bottles of beer on the wall" but 99 heads!

Well, assuming each beer had a head, this is an example of a one-to-one correspondence. In fact, Galileo used the idea of one-to-one correspondence to prove that there are just as many natural numbers {1, 2, 3, ...} as there are squares of natural numbers {1, 4, 9, ...}. This, of course, has nothing to do with this thread ... although Galileo did get in trouble with the Church for his views ... anybody wanna pick on Galileo?

>More than that even, a classic example of searching for a scapegoat. Am I remembering right that there were extra-terrestrials who exploited this situation, to expose the nature of the "earthlings" or something like that? Wasn't that part of the punchline at the end? Or am I thinking of something else.

Yes, you are right. That was the real "message" of the episode. It was about how so easily humans are manipulated and become fearful when things happen that they don't understand.

Reminds me of all the airport searches of old men, little old ladies, and little kids.