Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> The Widmark day looks pretty cool too, and gotta give props for *PICKUP ON SOUTH >STREET*!!

I'm pretty happy about this, too. It's just a shame that Richard Widmark made so many memorable films at Fox. What I wouldn't give to see TCM play Panic in the Streets (also a good choice for Jack Palance's day!) or My Pal Gus (a rather sentimental story, but Widmark makes it work for me).

>And not just the usual suspects, some cool different things with Eddie, like >*NIGHTMARE* and *I AM THE LAW*!!!

Nightmare is the one movie on the August schedule I'm most psyched about. I've seen Fear in the Night and welcome the chance to compare the two.

My wish list for next year: days devoted to Thelma Ritter, Dan Duryea, and James Gleason.

Di

*" already on notice. Although it's quite possible my daughter will spend some of the day with me."* - movieman1957

Sounds like a great Father-Daughter experience.

And in case you hadn't noticed, some of the Laurel & Hardy shorts are being made available On Demand this month. *The Live Ghost* (never seen before) has been available this past week and *Beau Hunks* became available for a week starting today (Friday). I hope you have access to them on your cable system.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks for the heads up. "The Live Ghost" has been on my On Demand before (or I got it from TCM) but I will sure keep looking for "Beau Hunks." It will be great if some of the other shorts wind up there too.

In response to lzcutter I have to remark that I am thrilled that Marie Dressler is finally getting a day to herself. She was the number one box office star in the early 1930's right up until her death. Joan Crawford has had several days of honor including many years where she was part of "summer under the stars". So please lzcutter and those like you let's give some of the other stars a chance. I would love to see stars like Ramon Novarro, Anita Page, William Haines and John Gilbert get their chance as well. I'm so tired of Joan and Bette and Kate Hepburn. Give it a rest! Besides, several of Joan's films are available on video and DVD as opposed to two or three of Marie's films.

Message was edited by: smokey15

Hey Kyle,

My main man! Yep, well...not sure it makes up for *RUSH HOUR*, but I wasn't a hugely outspoken critic of that...I could see what they were doing with that. My only criticism of the event in June is that I would love to see more Chan films!! CHARLIE Chan, that is!! :)

Oh yeah, I'm totally grooving!!!

Yo smokey, you misread lzcutter's post. She copied someone else's comments about Joan Crawford and was responding to those. I'm a little tired of Joan Crawford as well.

Wow the August Schedule looks great! I look forward to the Richard Widmark day of films - and Pickup on South Street is a terrific film - I'm glad TCM will be showing this!

The other day I look forward to in August is the Marlon Brando day of films on August 29th. He's one of my favorite actors and I'm glad TCM is devoting a day to him.

Thanks TCM for the Richard Widmark and Marlon Brando "days in August" !!!!

Note: I would have loved to see Streetcar Named Desire on the Brando day as well as The Men and Viva Zapata - I wonder if TCM will ever show these Brando films as they are some of his best work.

Message was edited by: newclassicfilmfan

> {quote:title=newclassicfilmfan wrote:}

Note: I would have loved to see Streetcar Named Desire on the Brando day as well as The Men and Viva Zapata - I wonder if TCM will ever show these Brando films as they are some of his best work.{quote}

TCM has shown *Streetcar*, in fact within the last year. As for *The Men* , I think that was shown last May as part of the salute to the Brando.

*Viva Zapata* , besides being a Fox film, I think is tied up in rights hell.

I'm happy that Claude Rains is included in the August line-up. Unfortunately, TCM does not have access to his Universal titles...THE INVISIBLE MAN; MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD; THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD; THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA...all important Rains titles.

:-(

"TCM does not have access to his Universal titles...THE INVISIBLE MAN; MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD; THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD; THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA...all important Rains titles."

I agree. I taped EDWIN DROOD and THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD many years ago when they were broadcast on Z Channel here in LA, and would love to get newer copies of those titles.

I have been watching TCM since 1997 and a member of the TCM "Message Boards" for five years. There are so many things which go on in the world I don't know about. I am going to bring closure to one of those things as of now with the help of my esteem colleagues of TCM Nation and hopefully TCM Programmer. Here is the question:

How, where and when does one find out when the TCM movie listings 90 days in the future are on the Internet? I have never been able to figure out how out of nowhere someone will post the "August Listings Are Up". TCM Programmer: Why can't TCM send the TCM movie schedule listings 90 days in the future to those of us who already receiving the monthly schedule via e-mail? I understand changes are made to the movie schedule during the ninety day period but it would be nice to see what you have plan for us and stop this surprising and clandestine way of having the movie schedule introduce to us as it has been done for all these years.

Yeah...just found this info...........More Joan Crawford in August 2008...Thank God! :LO)

All Times Eastern!

August 4

The Hollywood Revue of 1929 6am.

August 7

Grand Hotel. 12am.

August 14

When Ladies Meet. 4pm.

August 15

Susan and God. 6am.

There's nothing that's meant to be surprising or clandestine. The "official" schedule isn't what people are able to see 90+ days in advance - that's our working schedule that, as you say, is subject to a lot of changes. But because of the way our database connects to the website some people are able to access it (I have no idea how) and see what's planned. We could (I assume) cut people off from being able to see it that far out, it isn't something that's meant for the public, but there doesn't seem to be too much harm in the fact that some people are able to find our working schedule.

TCM Programmer,

Thanks, dude, for coming on here to respond to some of the concerns and questions. Always straight up, and a pleasure to see some official response on the board.

Let me cast my vote for being able to see the schedules way in advance, despite the fact that there are sometimes changes which can cause some disappointments (though I've seen a few changes that caused the opposite reaction also!). Please don't restrict that access, because it's a joy to be able to look ahead in that way. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so excited TCM is playing Reducing (1931) and Prosperity (1932) on August 4! That's two of Anita Page's films that I still have to see. And they're playing it on her 98th birthday! How exciting!

Also The Hollywood Revue of 1929 is on that same day. Anita has an appearence in this film too. Gosh, they should have just made it "Anita Page Day". That would make me a _very_ happy gal! But still, I can't wait until August 4!

Dizzy

• 3 weeks later...

TCM PROGRAMMER

I have asked this question numersous times. As much as TCM likes Doris Day why is the Star Story segment on her and Irene Dunne. My suggestion is Barbara Hershey to narrate a segment on Doris. Hopefully they will have something by the time her day is on in 10 Aug

I'm not trying to avoid answering your question, but I don't know. I'm not sure if our on-air department has ever approached Barbara Hershey or if that's something she'd want to do. But you're right, we do love Doris Day.

TCM PROGRAMMER

I have asked this question numersous times. As much as TCM likes Doris Day why is the Star Story segment on her and Irene Dunne. My suggestion is Barbara Hershey to narrate a segment on Doris. Hopefully they will have something by the time her day is on in 10 Aug