Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nando_Morton

Over-Rated/Under-Rated

*To Newclassicfilmfan.*

I do think his performance in 'Mutiny on the Bounty' was brilliant (and I also actually liked him in 'Guys n' Dolls', despite the fact that posterity has been less than kind about his performance in that movie.).

"I think we can conclude that this is a pretty tolerant thread (although, in saying that, I haven't yet made public my belief that Al Pacino is insanely over-rated.....okay! Now I must run for the hills and take cover!)"

Come out! Come out, where ever you are!!! Oh there you are Nando...

*Hi,CINEMAVEN: Come out! Come out, where ever you are!!! Oh there you are Nando...*

I'm coming out with my hands up...and clutching a copy of 'The Godfather' in one and 'Scarface' in the other. ;)

Okay...that's a good start to make amends. We'll add jelly to your bread and water, though you might have a point there in his later work. ;-)

*CINEMAVEN:Okay...that's a good start to make amends. We'll add jelly to your bread and water, though you might have a point there in his later work.*

Cinemaven, if I also say that I really liked him in 'Guys n' Dolls', do you think I can get some peanut-butter with that jelly. ;) Oh! And if I say that I loved ol' Al in 'Glenn Gary, Glenn Ross' (one or two N's in those glenns?), do I get a glass of milk to wash it down with. ;)

*Hi, CINEMAVEN:Dude, you get the whole enchilada. Good make-up sex. Saaay, was Pacino in "Guys & Dolls"???*

LOL. I love having the whole enchilda (and who DOESN'T like good make-up sex?!?!?!) But I meant The Big B was in 'Guys and Dolls' (one can only imagine the heights of over-acting that Al would have gone to! Okay...sing this in the typical Pacino accent: 'Me...I'll KNOW when ma luv comes long...Me....I'll KNOW den and der...!' ;)

LOL! ;-)

I saw a young man on the "J" train last week (NYC) who looked like a very young Al Pacino. Even sat there like Michael Corleone did in his last shot of "Godfather II." I shamelessly stared...and told him before I disembarked the train, that he looked like Pacino. His response? "Thank you. I've never seen 'Godfather II'. I have to check it out." YIKES!! Youth is wasted on the young.

"I may as well 'fess up' that I'm not diggin' on Marlon, either. I thought his performances in Mutiny and Streetcar were wonderful...but what happened?"

Bizarre as it may seem, Brando is my favorite actor. I just believe he, well, became disinterested. I think the whole "method thing" is way overstated. He had great movement, hit his marks, all that jazz. He was WELL TRAINED. But he was inattentive and apathetic towards his career, and it showed. My reason for saying he's overrated is more about "failed potential". I believe he could have left us so much more, but just didn't care, or couldn't stay focused, whatever the case may be.

I can watch almost anything by him, most over and over. But for the "eccentric perfs", not so much for the film. He made a bunch of slow, talky films that are fascinating character studies, but damned near intolerable to watch, as far as "plot=interest" go.

*Hello,Cinemaven:Youth is wasted on the young.*

LOLOL! :) LOVED the story of your Al-inspired subway buddy. Oh my....good old Oscar was right; youth really IS wasted on the young! (So thank GOD that age is spent WELL on the rest of us!)

*Mickee: 'Wasted potential'.*

First off, it's not at ALL bizarre that Brando is one of your favorites, and I think that - had he lived up to the ENORMOUS potential of his early outings - he would probably be one of mine. But I think you totallly hit the nail on the head when you talked about him becoming apathetic after a while. I think that one of the problems with 'the method' is that, for actor's of Brando's intelligence, once it has been fully explored, then it's like solving a puzzle: once it's solved and mastered...then why keep doing it. Maybe that's why Brando became disinterested. I've said a few times that I love his early performances....and then, something happened, and I can hardly equate the 'older' Brando with his younger self. Yours was a VERY interesting post, and it's set me thinking about other actors who didn't live up to their original potential.

Hey - Nando & Poinciana, come on in the water's fine. Look - I am still swimming with

the sharks. :) Mick & I started the whole Brando debate. I also mentioned James

Dean. Oh, horrors, I did it again!!!

Nando...Don't give in TOO much!! I will throw in a PB & J and a banana split with

nuts, whipped cream, and a cherry on top...IF you don't surrender!!

*BARGAR: Nando...Don't give in TOO much!! I will throw in a PB & J and a banana split with*

*nuts, whipped cream, and a cherry on top...IF you don't surrender!!*

LOL ;) and.....Cue another movie cliche! Indecisive character standing between two opposing groups....he turns one way....he turns another...'Don't Surrender!' shouts one of the good guys....but he's already started to sell his soul....can he redeem himself? Can he EVER go back???? He turns....he's sweats....he turns again....eyes, huge and confused and imploring....DOES he have the courage to do what's right??? Or are the siren woos too much for a mere mortal???....... ;)

OK I'm coming in kicking and screaming....

I just never found Brando (or the typo which describes him for some, Grando) compelling or attractive. That's it. After I read Anna Kashfi's book abt her life with him, well, let's put it this way, I couldn't watch him without becoming queasy.

COURAGE, Nando! Get off the fence and land on the side of the defenders of the

right to express our unpopular opinions. "United we stand, divided we fall".

(Ok, I have wooed enough :)

Poinciana, you find -G-Brando OVER-RATED? Okay, I guess you've made it clear that you do.

You're wrong. Dead wrong. He & Monty Clift came up with a different style of acting. More natural, more motivational and coming from within and not cardboard. Monty, Brando & James Dean changed the face of acting.

That he became a big tub of lard in his later years has nothing to do with his acting. Okay, that one connected Poinciana.

But you NEVER found Brando attractive. Girl, you don't even believe that. You're trying to sell us wooden nickels.

You know I love you Ciney and would never sock you in the jaw!

Sorry, well I'm only sorry 'cause it bothers you, but Brando gives me a stomachache and Monty gives me a headache. What else can I say?

Here, you can batter and bruise me again 'cause another icon I find so nothing is Greta the Garbo...

MOST under-rated:

Ray Milland: was superb in "The Lost Weekend", "Dial M For Murder", "The Girl On The Red Velvet Swing" AND anything else he did!

Dana Andrews: "Laura"....don't get me started! Also, "The Best Years Of Out Lives" (I thought he deserved an Oscar more than Fredric (can't remember his last name)! ), He was also good in "The Ox-bow Incident" and others

Franchot Tone!!!!!: He TOTALLY deserved the Oscar for "Mutiny On The Bounty"! I thought his performance was so subtle and well "emoted"! He was so good in everything and I am trying to watch more of his "dramas"!

Deanna Durbin: SO AMAZING! I LOVE HER!

Bobby Darin (you knew it was coming....lol!): Really good! He brought SO much to movies! He deserved the Oscar in 1963 (or was it 62?), instead of Melvyn Douglas!

Frank Sinatra: "The Chairman Of The Board". (period!)

MOST over-rated:

My list would probably get me murdered in my sleep, so I am going to keep it to myself.

Poinciana - I can't believe I'm doing it again, but I agree about Garbo! When she was

quoted as saying "I want to be alone", I said OKAY!

(Remember, Cine...I admire and respect you! Ouch, was that you?)