Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forbidden (1932)

whistlingypsy

Isn't Iowa City like the best college town EVER? lol. Yeah, i still have close friends there, one of my longest friendships, he goes back/forth from there to Miami where he owns/lives. His mom is still there in Iowa City. Just saw someone in my neighborhood (Astoria Queens) who had an IOWA tee shirt on Monday nite!

Who do you enjoy the most of the pre-codes? any favs?

greeks20233bigrj8da6.jpgIMAG002.GIF

The Greeks Had A Word For Them (1932)~The description of the film reads: Three gold diggers out for a little quick silver! They started out as working girls but ended working men. "Give and Let Give" was their battle-cry as they charged the men-brigade---And how they charged!

I find it interesting that you mentioned The Greeks Had A Word For Them (1932) since I recently found this lobby card and photo when I was searching for information on another film. I agree with you regarding the scene that you described, I remember seeing a similar scene but I likewise cannot be certain that this is the film. However, I can think of no other film that captures the ?phenomenon? so nearly while avoiding an actual depiction of the act. I also find it interesting that the concept of ?gold digging,? and all the word might imply, seems to have fascinated filmmakers during the pre-code period. I found four pre-code titles that featured a ?gold digging? theme, but I?m sure there are many more. The Greeks or Three Broadway Girls (1932) and Three Wise Girls (1932) appear to be dramas, while The Life of the Party (1930) and The Gold Diggers of 1933 are musicals.

IMAG003.GIF3wise_still_7b507.jpg

Three Wise Girls (1932)~The description of the fim reads: All of the good men seem to be married. What's a girl to do!?

12192.jpg

The Life of the Party (1930) was filmed entirely in Technicolor and would retain it's hues (although not most of it's music) by the time it reached cinema screens, yet it can only be seen today, for a variety of reasons, in black and white. The dialogue is standard fair for pre-code films and Winnie Lightner delivers this gem ?To a man, a Widow is like finding another drink in the bottle after he thought it was empty.?

jb6.jpg<ahttp://www.artsjournal.com/outthere/forgottenman.jpg>

I have to say that it is Joan Blondell singing My Forgotton Man in The Gold Diggers of 1933 that saves this fim from being a complete piece of fluff. The words just break my heart:

Remember my forgotten man

You put a rifle in his hand

You sent him far away

You shouted, "Hip, hooray!"

But look at him today.

I ran across this really interesting piece of information regarding Joan Blondell: the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan presented a retrospective titled Joan Blondell: The Bombshell from Ninety-first Street from December 19, 2007?January 1, 2008. A really nice tribute to Joanie, I?m glad to see that she is being recognized and honored.

iowahawkeye: Thanks for letting me know that your enjoying the photos and the information. I'm having a lot of fun searching out these "goodies," and I'm learning more about pre-code films, too.

I was wondering if you are aware that Barbara Stanwyck will be featured during TCM's Summer Under The Stars? I believe that her day is set for August 19 and you will have a chance to see Forbidden (1932). I'm really looking forward to seeing her in this film.

OMG, yes, almost since the day the August schedule went up, i noticed that her list of films shot up to like 19-20 total, and initially didn't know why, then saw they were all on the same date! I printed out the whole list, and then read about the August special they are doing. I'm thrilled that she is one of the featured stars, as i noticed that Gary Cooper is not, so they only picked certain stars for whatever reason (licensing, popularity, who knows?). Thanks for the heads up.

I'm certainly hoping that at some point in the near future, Sony will release on dvd the other Capra films in their library, 4 of which star Stanwyck and 1 of those now being in public domain (meet john doe). Doesn't hurt to hope, right? The guy who runs dvdbeaver.com is a big Stanwyck fan, so if there's any good news, i know he'll revise his release calendar immediately! Plus we hope that the next "Forbidden Hollywood" box set will have at least one more Stanwyck picture.

If you are interested in seeing more lobby cards from both Forbidden and The Bitter Tea Of General Yen plus a poster from Ladies They Talk About pay a visit to this website and search for items featuring Barbara Stanwyck. Click on New Arrivals or choose Poster Search and you'll find a great collection of posters and lobby cards.

http://www.filmposters.com/

Absolutely! Thanks for letting us see the lobby card. Pre-code films are fun to watch even if they are, in my view, a bit tepid when it comes to the sexy stuff. Some are very lurid (The Black Cat and Night Nurse), but I agree that none that I've even seen comes close to that one scene in The Greeks Had a Word for Them for the almost-depiction of real sex. Another interesting aspect of this whole discussion is the fetishistic "baby burlesque" movies that starred people like Shirley Temple. Disguised as being cute, these movies are really bizarre, and, from what I gather, were very popular.

Gypsy: on your other matter. I certianly agree that "My Forgotten Man" is one of the most powerful pieces of music ever put on screen. The only other movie music that can move me to tears is "Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?" The Depression tapped into the deepest of emotions and both songs reveal them. The lines from "Brother"...."once in khaki suits....and "oh, don't you remember they called me Al..." break me up. and Joan Blondell, radiating sexuality and youth is the most excellent visual counterpoint for "My Forgotten Man." I really loved Joan Blondell. Wottababe!

Hawkeye: I enjoyed my time in Iowa City. And I'm still loyal to the University. I agree that it is always fun to see an Iowa alumni t-shirt or cap far away from Iowa. As for my pre-code faves, "The Greeks", of course, and "Baby Face"---and I also love "42nd Street", which is nominally pre-code, with some very racy dialogue.

• 1 month later...

iowahawkeye: I don?t know if you visit the site frequently, but I thought I would take a chance and hope you find these. You mentioned that you are interested in a poster from Ladies They Talk About, well I found a poster and two lobby cards that might interest you. The lobby cards are somewhat on the small size, but the images are still incredible.

ladiestheytalkabout.jpg?width=393&height=600

29263_1_lg.jpg?width=450&height=35329264_1_lg.jpg?width=450&height=352

wow, you are amazing! the poster really doesn't look like her, buti love the lobby cards! what was the site again (tho i think i bookmarked it), thanks! Alas, i hope all this leads to hope that a dvd box set from Sony arrives someday, if i dare to dream! It's so difficult, since her work is scattered thru all the movie studios....thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know--was Three Broadway Girls/The Greeks Had A Word For Them one of the films that got chopped? I have a copy of this film, but I don't remember the sex scene described, so maybe I have an edited version?

Archived