Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Katharine Hepburn Quotes

MissGoddess

I found these in an online article (which misspelled her name) about Kate and thought some were amusing enough to share with her fans:

Quotes by Katherine Hepburn:

?Acting is the most minor of gifts and not a very high-class way to earn a living. After all, Shirley Temple could do it at the age of four.?

?Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get ? only what your are expecting to give ? which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving.? ?If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.?

?Plain women know more about men than beautiful ones do. But beautiful women don?t need to know about men. It?s the men who have to know about beautiful women.?

Quotations from Hepburn?s movies that will bring back memories:

? As Terry Randall in Stage Door (1937): ?Unfortunately, I learned to speak English correctly.? ?As eggs go, I probably have my points.? ?Don?t be sentimental. Remember, you?re a ham at heart.? ?The calla lilies are in bloom again. Such a strange flower ? suitable to any occasion. I carried them on my wedding day, and now I place them here in memory of something that has died.?

? As Linda Seton in Holiday (1938): ?Frankly, I stank. ?I tell you, I?m the mad sister, family problem, the one they don?t speak about.?

? As Mary Matthews in State of the Union (1948): ?Mister, you?re looking at a mighty dry waffle.? ?No woman could ever run for president. She?d have to admit she was over thirty-five.? ?You politicians have stayed professionals only because the voters have remained amateurs.? ?I?m different from Grant. I?d rather be tight than be president.?

Kate?s opinion Of others:

Humphrey Bogart: ?He was a real man ? nothing feminine about him. He knew he was a natural aristocrat ? better than anybody.? ?Bogart was like Fonda ? proud and happy to be an actor.?

Tom Cruise: ?He has the ability to make me trust myself.?

John Ford: ?I liked working with Jack Ford very much, he and I were great friends. But he was as unsuited to that material [for Mary of Scotland] as a director as I was unsuited to Mary of Scotland as an actress.?

Greta Garbo: ?I?m a legend because I?ve survived over a long period of time and still seem to be master of my fate. I?m still paddling the goddamed boat myself, you know ? whereas Garbo has always been a mysterious sailboat who disappeared over the horizon the moment she felt she couldn?t cope. She represented a kind of elusive beauty, and she felt, I think, that when that elusive beauty started to fade she would wave goodbye and disappear.?

Spencer Tracy: ?Spencer was a typical American product, he never gussied it up. He just did it, he let it ride along on its enormous simplicity. That?s what was absolutely thrilling about Spencer?s acting. There was something unguarded ? like an animal or child. It just got to me. That is the kind of actor I would like to be.?

And about Kate:

Henry Fonda: ?It was a magical summer for both of us. We worked together as though we?d been doing it all our lives. Kate is unique ? in her looks, in the way she plays, most of all in herself. I love Kate for playing with me in this film. Other movies have had a lot of meaning for me ? but On Golden Pond is the ultimate role of my career.?

Spencer Tracy: ?Well, we just got used to working together. She butts in, and I don?t mind, and I pick it up when she leaves off. We just got used to working together, that?s all.?

Cary Grant: ?As an actress she?s a joy to work with. She?s in there trying every moment. There isn?t anything passive about her, she ?gives.? And as a person, she?s real. There?s no pretense about her. She?s the most completely honest woman I?ve ever met.?

hi ya MissGodess,

thanks for that.....very cool....some of those quotes i have heard her say...lol,....i just loooooove her,...she was amazing....a great actor...i think i like what Cary Grant had to say best.....how shes there in every moment...and the most honest woman hes ever known, and only a man knows just how IMPRESSIVE that statement is.....lol....yup she was definitly one of my fav actors...

ty for that again i loved it...

AvaG :-)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings