Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1960 through Present-Day (films)

Films I saw recently I liked:

You Can Count on Me (2000)

The Departed (2006) - Scorsese should have won for Raging Bull or Goodfellas, and though this isn't on the level of those masterpieces, I greatly enjoyed seeing this one again.

Into the Wild (2007) - Disappointing that this didn't receive more Oscar attention this year.

Not so great:

The Notebook (2004) - A lot of people love this film, but the script and direction is too cliched and unoriginal to be considered great. What gives this film some poignancy are the wonderful performances of James Garner and Gena Rowlands (whose son, Nick, directed). I like the cast overall, especially Ryan Gosling. He's OK here, but his performances in later films like Half Nelson and Lars and the Real Girl shows he's going to be among the best actors of his generation.

I agree with you, completely. We all walk to a different drummer. That's what's so enjoyable about these forums and posts. All the joys of good debate, without (most of the time) the insistence that anyone' s right or wrong...personal opinion, not a fight to the end.

While some may feel that the classic studio era ended in 1962, many of the studios such as Fox, Warners, Disney and others continued to produce films such as *The Sound of Music*, *Mary Poppins* and other classics.

By the early 1970s, most of the studios had changed ownership and were under the care and handling of such corporations as Gulf-Western (Paramount), Kinney (WBros), etc.

Jack Warner was, as I recall, the movie mogul last standing and still working at his studio, when he retired in the early 1970s.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm excited about this thread Popcorn, so kudos to your great idea!

I have to disagree. I wouldn't say that A night to Remember is far better than Titanic, I would just say that they are for different tastes. Personally, I love the stuff that is produced between Kate and Leo in that film. I'm a plain old sucker for the sappy stuff, and there isn't much of that aspect in the older film. Then again, after viewing the film the other night, it definately deserves a lot of credit since Cameron redid so many of the scenes. I never knew that he did that until I saw it!

Also, I can't wait for Sam Mendes' Revolutionary Road. Finally, the two of them will be back together again. I mean, c'mon, it's Sam Mendes. That's enough for me, all of his films are great works. I was just watching Jarhead on HBO the other day in spirit of Memorial Day.

I got a real kick out of "There Will Be Blood" last year. Yeah, it was over the top, tested my ability to suspend my belief, and had a bizarre, completely unrealistic "baroque" style bloodbath at the end.

Loose ends all over the place.

And yet, it reminded me of those old Hollywood morality tales as well. The kind often associated with Somerset Maughms stuff. Yeah. I felt a strange kinship between it and 1932's "Rain", another flawed film that I've always loved.

BTW, I'm not looking to "kickstart" the useless debate on this film that we went through ad nauseam earlier this year. I'm just saying for me it worked.

"By the early 1970s, most of the studios had changed ownership and were under the care and handling of such corporations as Gulf-Western (Paramount), Kinney (WBros), etc."

Yes, and we know how creative corporations can be. That's why when they mention films on the TV networks and even Public Broadcasting all they can dwell on is how much a movie earned in a week.