Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can AMC and TCM play the same movie and the same time?

Moviebuffer,

The terms of most film rentals (TCM and AMC both have to rent the films they run, just like any other movie channel) will give exclusive rights for airing a film to only one channel for a specified amount of time.

For example:

So, if AMC has the broadcast rights to the 1930s Universal Horror films, they won't be available to TCM for rent.

If TCM has the broadcast rights to *Two Rode Together*, then that film wouldn't be available to other movie channels such AMC or Encore Westerns or etc.

If Fox Movie Channel has the broadcast rights to *The Ghost and Mrs. Muir* you won't find that film on any other channel.

HBO and some of the premium movie channels have started to broadcast some of the classic era films late at night or early in the morning, so those films wouldn't be available to other channels either.

Message was edited by: lzcutter because i forgot the word Universal

Whenever I see a John Wayne film on TCM, I feel like I AM watching AMC! (being facetious!) The only thing the "new" AMC has in common with the "old" AMC is a passion for showing Wayne's films. The big difference over TCM is the frequent cuts for commercials.

Interesting info from lzcutter.

Thelma

There is an exception to the rule. If a film is considered to be in the public domain, which means nobody still has a copyright on it, then any channel who owns a copy could show it anytime they wanted to.

For example, the John Wayne movie *ANGEL AND THE BADMAN* is PD. TCM has run it, AMC has run it, Encore's Western Channel runs it now and then as do many local stations. However, public domain films make up only a very small fraction of TCM's programming. So while it could theoretically be shown at the same time on both TCM and AMC it would be pretty unlikely and if it did would be a unusual coincidence.

Mark,

Good point about films in the Public Domain.

For years, *It's a Wonderful Life* was in the public domain but now is back under copyright.

NBC has the broadcast rights tied up in a multi-year contract meaning that no other channel can air the Christmas perennial favorite.

ABC has long held (and continues to have) the broadcast rights to the DeMille /Heston *The Ten Commandments* at Easter as well.

If TCM has the broadcast rights to Two Rode Together, then that film wouldn't be available to other movie channels such AMC or Encore Westerns or etc.

Many, if not most, of the contracts TCM has with other distributors are surely non-exclusive. TCM needs films to fill 720 hours a month, and they can't demand exclusivity, even if the distributors could abrogate existing contracts with other channels to meet the demands of any one service. Even in the case where TCM leases films which aren't being leased by any other channel, exclusivity would cost them more, as it would preclude the distributor's being able to maximize its income on a title, or package of films, and TCM simply doesn't have the kind of budgetary flexibility to pay for that kind of exclusivity.

*"Can AMC and TCM play the same movie and the same time?"*

It might be possible now that AMC is a commercial-supported cable channel.

I have assumed that "exclusivity" is (often) awarded only to a channel so that it is kept off channels that directly compete with the lessee.

I think the "competition" for film leases breaks down as as "pay cable" / "subscription" channels (and that includes TCM), commercial supported cable channels (AMC and TNT, for example) and then broadcast network channels (ABC or NBC) followed by local broadcast channels.

I may be wrong but if channels aren't direct competitors in terms of format that a film _could_ be sold to more than one outlet. I thnk of *The Wizard Of Oz*. In recent years, the film pops up on TCM, on TNT (I know. It's still a Turner channel) and also on local broadcast channels.

But I also think CSjr is right that "exclusivity" comes at a premium and that some channels may choose not to pay extra for the "exclusive rights" to a film. I am sure when TCM had the rights to show the *The Lord Of The Rings* last February, it wasn't the only channel showing the film that month. And it might not have been the only "pay channel" able to show it.

Kyle In Hollywood

>ABC has long held (and continues to have) the broadcast rights to the DeMille /Heston The Ten Commandments at Easter as well.

Why does ABC show this film at Easter? It's not an Easter film. It's not related to Easter in any way.

>Why does ABC show this film at Easter? It's not an Easter film. It's not related to Easter in any way.

I've often wondered that myself. I suppose that Passover and Easter are sometimes close together, so maybe that was the reason ... although this year, they weren't close at all.

The determination of when Easter begins is based on when Passover does. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS is obviously about the Ten Plagues and the Hebrews' subsequent Exodus from Egypt, so the telecast of DeMille's film is simply ABC's attempt to make it coincide with the broadest section of religious observances.

Interestingly, on the night of the Motion Picture Academy's commemmoration of the 40th anniversary of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, Tom Hanks, who delivered the opening remarks, then had to run off to church and miss the rest of the program. He explained that the Greek Orthodox Church, to which he belongs, celebrates Easter later than do Western churches, and that the April 25 service was dictated by when Passover was to fall this year.

Pre Wikipedia...

In October 2002, AMC changed its format from a classic movie network to a more general movie network, airing movies from the 1970's onwards in order to appeal to a wider audience.

It is argued that the format change has led newer films to have higher priority to be shown on the network than are older films.

The channel now tends to present widescreen films in a pan and scan format, as opposed to the letterbox format it once favored. The commercial-free format has also been abandoned, although the network has claimed to air fewer commercials per hour than any other basic cable channel

Unfortunately I threw out my 1990s AMC magazines several years ago. Those magazines were much like the TCM Now Playing guide. Here is a recollection I posted in an earlier thread in January:

Our cable provider transitioned from the Nostalgia Channel to AMC around 1990. Bob Dorian was the original AMC host. Later Nick Clooney alternated as host. For a time Gene Klaven was another host.

For several years AMC programmed a great mix of classic movies from Fox, Paramount, Universal, and Columbia. There were also occasional movies from other studios, including the smaller studios. AMC had annual Film Preservation Festivals and raised money for that purpose.

Beginning around 1992 AMC began showing a few widescreen movies (sometimes shown after the pan and scan version of the same movie to give viewers a choice). The widescreen version of The Big Trail (1930) was hosted by Alec Baldwin on 27 April 2001, at the end of the AMC "classic" era.

From 1996-1998 AMC produced Remember Wenn, a drama series set in a Pittsburgh radio station circa 1939-41. The Lot, a drama series set in a movie studio, replaced Remember Wenn in 1999.

On Saturday mornings Bob Dorian hosted Movie Palace Memories from a variety of restored movie palaces, including Radio City Music Hall (owned by AMC's corporate entity). There were Betty Boop cartoons and Screen Songs (often mixing animation with a bouncing ball sing along led by popular performers of the day); Popular Science and Unusual Occupations shorts, all originally from Paramount; Fox Movietone or Paramount Eyes and Ears newsreels; Laurel & Hardy and a few other Hal Roach shorts; the next chapter from a cliff-hanger serial; followed by a featured film.

Occasionally there were Laurel & Hardy shorts marathons (that included some Spanish language versions); and a number of serials where all the chapters were run in a single four hour programming block.

AMC co-produced or showed a number of film documentaries and biographies.

Beginning around 1997 AMC began programming more 1960's and 1970's movies into the mix.

AMC hosts Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney departed in the summer of 1999. Commercials began airing between movies in late 1999/early 2000. There were attempts to attract younger viewers with the much younger John Burke as the main host. There were many more 1970's and 1980's movies added to the mix. There was frequent cross-promotion and programming blocks borrowed from AMC's second network "Romance Classics" (later WE--Women's Entertainment). Leslie Nielsen hosted a series of Three Stooges shorts. The American Pop series was aimed at "babyboomers." While I am a babyboomer I always prefered early talkies through the film noir era so my AMC viewing dropped way off. Toward the end of this period about the only classic movies AMC programmed were those of Shirley Temple; and classic Universal horror films shown in the Monsterfest series, sometimes with such guest hosts as Linda Blair, Carmen Electra and Whoopi Goldberg to appeal to younger viewers.

In 2001 commercials interrupted movies and there were very few "classics" in the programming mix. My AMC viewing had ended. John Burke departed sometime in 2001. In 2002, as I surfed channels, I saw that American Movie Classics had become "amc" and completed their youth transition where a bunch of twenty-somethings sat around spewing mindless chatter about 1980's and 1990's movies.

ADDENDUM:

From a discussion of the TCM business model (soon after the above posting) I made these and related observations:

Since TCM and AMC did not receive advertising revenue or a premium level of subscription revenue, both networks actually competed for the most viable business arrangements with the various cable providers. Since TCM and AMC shared a specific and limited "niche" viewership that would likely support but one such network per cable provider, one or the other network seemed doomed to fail. AMC blinked first by adding commercials to increase revenue. Soon after that followed drastic format changes designed to draw in more and younger viewers. Advertising revenue increased with the increase in viewership ratings. Instead of programming classic movies uncut and without commercials, the "bottom line" became AMC's cause.

Message was edited by: talkietime

I noticed your discription of the early years of AMC. Hard to tell if you are talking about AMC or TCM. We all noticed how AMC went downhill in the late 1990's - early 2000's, why do I fell deja vu with TCM !

AMC is not the only cable channel I use to watch in the 1980's with great programming that took a nosedive with unsuperior programming - CNN, Discovery, TLC, A&E all were very neat in the 1980's but absolutely STINKS today. Why is A&E showing "Crossing Jorden" and "CSI Miami"? I use to get FMC but Directv changed how its packaged and I won't pay the extra to get it.

Maybe the song "57 Channels and Nothin' On" better suits everything, should be updated to "200 channels". Lyrics http://www.brucespringsteen.net/songs/57Channels.html

I think THAT is the only thing that hasn't changed in the past couple of decades.

Thank God I don't own a .44 magnum!

SmileyCentral.comimage.gif

I remember one time, about eight years ago, that AMC and TCM showed THE LITTLE PRINCESS with Shirley Temple in almost exactly the same time slot! It started on AMC at 7:15 am and on TCM at 7:30 am. I caught it on AMC, and liked one musical number so much I switched over to TCM to see it again!

Could someone show me an old AMC Schedule?

Here are a few daily schedules. AMC wasn't a 24/7 channel in its early days--notice the break after the 6 a.m. movie in the first schedule:

Sunday, Dec. 3, 1989

Somewhere in the Night, 12:30 a

Charlie Chan in Paris, 3 a

The Glass Web, 4:30 a

Charlie Chan in Paris, 6 a

A Woman?s Secret, 1 p

A Time to Remember: The 1930s, 2:30 p

From This Day Forward, 3 p

This Is Your Life: Pat O?Brien, 5 p

The Last Time I Saw Paris, 5:30 p

A Time to Remember: The 1930s, 7:30 p

Quality Street, 8 p