Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NZ

MOVIE MUSICALS YOU'RE STILL WAITING FOR ON DVD

"Show Boat " (1936), and I don't know why it's taking so long.

Considering some of the crap that regularly gets released on DVD, it is shocking that this "Show Boat" still hasn't had an official DVD release (I hear there's a Brazilian-made bootleg version, but I definitely don't want a cheap knockoff.)

I realize that the "restorers" are scouting for the best material, but come on now! DVD's were introduced in 1998, and this is 2008.

I remember way back when the 1936 film was first shown on cable in 1983, and we had to wait until 1990 to get a pre-recorded VHS copy. We have had to wait even longer for the DVD.

I have deliberately put off buying other items so that I could afford the 3 disc DVD set they have been promising: the 1929, 1936 and 1951 versions all in one package. However, it is now October 2008, and there's still no sign of anything.

Message was edited by: AlbertCD

I agree. There is a lot of junk being peddled by all the majors while a great number of immortal classics remain buried and out of sight - Show Boat being among the almost forgotten.

Warner Home Video waffles between doing an outstanding job on their DVD releases of classic movies (such as their latest release of An American In Paris - superb) and their abysmally second rate offerings of their Holiday Collection Vol. 2 which features among the poorest examples of DVD mastering I have seen since the format's debut. There just seems to be no consistency to their level of quality which makes one weary of buying their product on a hit or miss basis.

Worse, we keep getting the same movies re-released in Special Editions, Collector's Editions and Ultimate Collector's Editions. Do we really need another copy of Casablanca (apart from a 1080p Blu-Ray). The 2 disc offering in SD a few years ago provided stunning picture quality that will unlikely be enhanced on the Casablanca box set.

While other movies like Show Boat remain out of print or available in second hand/second rate incarnations, it would behoove the good people at Warner to reconsider releasing more high quality transfers of films that have yet to have their DVD debut - among them, a goodly number of MGM musicals.

I don't believe for a second that Warner Home Video is deliberately leaving these titles off their roster. Perhaps some need major restoration. But I agree with you that ten years after the debut of SD DVD has been long enough of a wait for at least a first offering of some of these titles.

These include, but are not limited to, the following titles:

Show Boat

Holiday In Mexico

Luxury Liner

Three Daring Daughters

Athena

The Merry Widow (both versions)

Naughty Marietta

Rosalie

Rose Marie (both versions)

Bitter Sweet

The Student Prince