Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BLOOD MONEY (1933) ON FMC

BLOOD MONEY (1933) with Frances Dee and George Bancroft is gong to be on the Fox Movie Channel Sunday morning (website says 10a, which I think is eastern time) and on Wednesday, May 28th at 9:30a (which I believe is eastern time) I haven't seen this one before, but I hope it is good!

I watched a tiny bit of it Sunday afternoon, and it looks like it should be pretty good!

It looks like it has a bit of the Warners' grittyness to it. Not surprising, since it's from Zanuck's 20th Century Pictures.

It's a wild movie, for sure! Frances Dee's character is a complete freak in the film.... I came away most impressed by the Pre Dame Judith Anderson. This was her first film, (1933) and didn't make another one for 7 years! She seemed to be more than ready for film, don't know what the issue was(though not a classic beauty by any means, still kind of sexy in the film)

If you missed it, they run this film more than most other pre code films...it seems to be on at least once a month....

They ran *Call Her Savage*, a week or two ago, I hadn't seen that run on their channel in 3-4 years...

Scottman: I just missed seeing this on Sunday morning, but I am looking forward to watching it next week. I have "the scout" on my satellite set up to remind me, in case I should forget. Thanks for letting us know about this film.

blood_money.jpg?width=410&height=600

I got a chance to watch Blood Money yesterday, and what can I say? I think this is one of those films that go so far in the direction of being a bad film that it turns into a good film. I think that it falls in the same category as Alibi both of which I now consider guilty favorites. I really enjoyed seeing Frances Dee as a woman too eager to be ?manhandled,? and her father referring to her as having ?an underworld mania.? I also enjoyed the performances of George Bancroft as Bill Bailey and Judith Anderson as Ruby. This film was a nice surprise, thanks again for the recommendation.

While I agree that this was a poor movie, (despite Frances Dee's interesting presence), I watched it to catch a glimpse of *Sandra Shaw*, who played the "girl at racetrack". As she later asked, "Let's not talk about my career, for which I was singularly ill-suited."

Why the interest in a bit player? "Sandra", who came to Hollywood to visit her uncle, art director Cedric Gibbons, was born *Veronica Balfe*, was called Rocky by her friends and family, and became Mrs. Gary Cooper after completing her not so burdensome duties at the track in *Blood Money* in 1933. Btw, you can also catch Sandra Shaw screaming prettily in a slightly better known film of the same period: *King Kong*. Here she is below with her husband in real life:

319477804.jpg

• 2 weeks later...