Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Monik

A tribute to Vivien Leigh

Viv and Marilyn at a London press conference for Prince and the Showgirl (directed by Laurence Olivier, produced by Marilyn's newly formed production company)

MarilynViv.jpg?t=1215729402

Miss G.....

Looooooooooove that pic of Viv and Larry and Jimmy....Viv looks sooooo happy and sweet and she looks like shes laughing.....surrounded by all the gents....as usual.....lol...

Ty for that..

Ava :-)

I am so glad you have posted the pictures with Vivien. She would've been very happy to see how many people still love her.

Vivien

I just saw her in Anna Karennia and thought about the mental illness that took her life. It was devastating. She was believeable in films in which she went mad - Anna Karennia, A Street Car Name Desire and probably Ship of Fools (I didn't see the whole picture).

She looked great with Larry, unfortunately no children from this awesome couple.

Robin

Vivien's mental illness was, indeed, a great problem for her. And maybe if she had been happier, she would have been still alive, just like Olivia de Havilland. I think that if she would have married Clark Gable or Robert Taylor, her life would have been different-in a good way.

Gable and Taylor owned ranches, rode horses, shot game, camped out.

Somehow, I don't see the Lady Viv roughing it, eating canned beans and doing what bears do in the woods.

She lived the life she lived. Wish there was medication for her mental illness. She was an amazing actress. Poor soul.

What kind of mental illness did she have? I knew she was slightly emotional, but I didn't know about the mental problems. She is listed on the TCM data base as having died from T B. I once read a book called "Scarlet, Rhett, and a Cast of Thousands". It was about the making of GWTW. A very good book. Poor Viv did have problems. She would often pitch little fits to get her way. One other interesting info in the book was about a man who worked for the studio. His job was to keep track of the lady stars periods. They were allowed 2 days a month off when they had their period. Some of the other GWTW ladies got angry because they gave Viv 3 days off. Also, the studio realized the strain of playing such a big, demanding role as Scarlet, and they gave her some time off during the making to go see Lawrence Olivier. She was very happy when she came back, telling about all the love-making they did. She was also known to tell a dirty joke now and then. She was a jewel, and every southern woman, even today, feels that there is a little Scarlet in each of them! There is no one else I can think of who could have done justice to the role of Scarlet. Not then...and not now. Amen.

One of my favorite pictures of young Viv, before Scarlett, from a stage production of The

School for Scandal.

SchoolforScandal2.jpg

The photos are wonderful, MissGoddess. Thank you. I think that every Vivien Leigh fan admires all of them.