Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

Who Makes Ya Laff?

A 2002 post gets a reply in 2006 - what staying power!!!

I could list my favorite standups, but you want movie comics, so here goes:

(By the way, if I don't cite a particular film or character, it means the comic

or character actor is funny to me in any comedy or light-hearted movie.)

Richard Pryor (my all-time favorite funny man in any genre!)

W. C. Fields

Jerry Lewis

Wallace Beery

Laurel and Hardy

Bob Hope

Robin Williams

Groucho Marx

Peter Sellers (Pink Panther roles only)

Marie Dressler

Redd Foxx

Steve Martin

Peter Falk

John Candy

Belushi (Animal Farm)

Jonathan Winters, et al (It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - funniest movie!)

Red Skelton

Marilyn Monroe (exceptional comedienne - very underrated for that skill)

That's all, folks!!!

I still enjoy watching the Lil' Rascals/Our Gang comedies. I've got a DVD collection (for $4.50) that showcases five of their best episodes, especially the banned "Wild Man of Borneo" segment. This was the one where a wild man from Africa escapes from a circus and for various reasons the kids think he's Spanky's real-life uncle. The episode was yanked after pressure groups said it was demeaning to blacks. Also, the Marx Brothers and Lou and Costello are both great fun to watch. And I'll never pass up a Laurel and Hardy short.

patypancake:

I was thinking that since TCM is the only place you can see the occasional Laurel & Hardy short wouldn't it be nice to feature those films on a Saturday or Sunday time slot.(Especially their silent shorts.) TCM did an overnight showing for Chaplin last year so L & H could get the same treatment. I could use new recordings.

Yes, yes, yes. L&H deserve the same revival that is being given to the Marx Brothers. L&H are the Apollonian to the Marx's Dionysian. We need especially to see the shorts, many of which seem to be unavailable these days. I recall L&H on TV on Sunday mornings for years when I was younger.

There's no question that those who are unfamiliar with them will like them, if only they can see them in action. I give you as an example, the fact that my daughter, when a little girl, was rather indifferent to L&H, but as a teenager, watching 'Twice Two,' she turned to me and said 'Hey, they got good!'

Cicely Courtneidge is making me laugh this morning as TCM shows her in The Perfect Gentleman (Frank Morgan is the title character). Previously I'd only read about Miss Courtneidge. When I saw that TCM would be showing one of her films I made sure to see it. She's a delight!

For me it's Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, Danny Kaye, Clark Gable(in his brute roles), John Wayne(when showing hostility to his leading lady), Thelma Ritter(Drunk roles), Carol Burnett, Eddie Cantor(his voice and popped out eyes), Edward Everett Horton(when scared), and Lucille Ball.

"L&H are the Apollonian to the Marx's Dionysian." I think Stanley would say "thank you", take off his hat, scratch his head, put his hat back on, then smile that big smile.

My wife howled at "Towed In A Hole" when it was on TCM. Her favorite bit was Stan poking his finger in the eye of the drawing of Ollie and the Tic Tac Toe game when he was being punished.

Noting you are from NY and depending on your age I taped a lot of the shorts on WOR when it was part of the cable channel. Maybe we were watching the same show.

Yes, you are right. In fact, I taped those on my first, pre-cable, humongous VCR, and there are places on the tape where you can see that I am trying to adjust the picture by clicking the antenna. Remember the opening of that WOR show, with Babe singing "Fre-eesh Fi-i-ish!!"?

It would be wonderful to have all of the L&H work restored. I have a few commercial tapes that are of really bad quality. Seeing the excellent condition of "Sons of the Desert" on TCM recently made me realize how very much better it would be to have all of this work look so good.

I do remember. The annoying part is having that big "9" in the corner. The other funny part is when I wasn't able to monitor the taping I now get to see how lame 15 year old commercials are.

Have you checked your public library? I have found the rare DVD that has one or two shorts on it. Sometimes they're matched up with a Charley Chase short.

Wow, it's great you two got to see those shorts on channel 9. If it was 15 years ago I was only 10 and not able to record, haha. I've just seen a few of their movies and they just kill me. I can't believe I forgot Jerry Lewis. He's another favorite of mine.

"Putting Pants On Philip" if I remember correctly. A funny silent short about getting him out of the kilt and into a pair of pants. It was not an easy task.

Harold Lloyd. Memorable Moment: in The Freshman, with the kitten inside his sweater.

Frank McHugh. Memorable Moment: epecially in Footlight Parade, when he's showing the chorus girls how to move like a cat!

Guy Kibbee. Memorable Moment: in The Dark Horse, when, as a gubernatorial candidate, he remembers to pause, look pensive, and apply his index finger to his chin before answering a reporter's question with a long drawn out "Y-e-e-e-s, but then again n-o-o-o."

Eve Arden. Memorable Moment: in everything, but especially in Mildred Pierce as the truth-telling second banana to you-know-who. Even when there are no lines, her expressions say it all.

Thelma Ritter. Memorable Moment: in A Letter to Three Wives, as she struggles to remove a screen and announce dinner, emerging from the shambles with her little maid's cap askew, (earlier in the movie I think she'd mentioned that she thought it was something to put on a lambchop.)

Phil Silvers : Memorable Moment: Rarely funny in the movies, though he has his moments in Summer Stock, but repeatedly in the old Bilko shows.

I could imagine it now and laugh at the thought of those two fighting to remove a kilt. haha

Eve Arden, Eric Blore, Laurel & Hardy, Edward Everett, Harlow, Monroe, Kahn, Rita, Cary, Edna May, Monty Wooley, Eugene Pallett, Isabel Jeans, Alice Brady, Lombard, West, Charles Coburn, Misha Auer, Zasu, Billie Burke, Una Merkel, Clifton Webb, Rosiland Russell, and wordmaster and DavidEnglish!(What Role Would You Recast?)

Funny, and witty, people!

Oh, REALLY? Well, leave me in the rain and call me Rusty...such a revelation I never had in all my born days!

the 3 stooges have been making me laugh since i can remember! tony randall is hilarious in the doris day movies, and lucy was so funny when she made fun fun of ricky's accent! cary grant in walk don't run and monkey business, maureen o'hara in parent trap, and tony curtis in some like it hot. nowadays i like anyone from saturday night live, and bea arthur is genius in the golden girls.

So many..Let me see. Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, Martin & Lewis, Bob Hope, Danny Kaye, The Three Stooges and The Marx Brothers.

> Without any doubt Madeline Kahn. She was the

> funniest woman who ever lived.

She really was the funniest woman who ever lived in my book also. Not as funny in a kilt as Stan Laurel but she was great. I love her in Blazing Saddles when she singing about being tired.

William Powell, Eugene Pallette, Edward Everett Horton, Cary Grant, The Three Stooges, Buster Keaton all make me laugh. Peter O'Toole in My Favorite Year. Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop, Robin Williams and Nathan Lane in The Birdcage. Monty Python movies. Just love comedy in general, I would rather laugh than cry. Lifes too short.