Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The worst film ever to win Best Picture and why . . .

lol.. because it was sprawling.... plus it was based on windbag Edna Ferber's novel....

I admit I like the first half better, and I really like Irene Dunne and Edna May Oliver.... also interesting is silent star Estelle Taylor as the saloon girl.

That year's nominees: Cimarron, East Lynn, The Front Page, Skippy, Trader Horn,

That year contained the least impressive list of Best Picture nominees, except The Front Page, I liked that one.

Yup... THE FRONT PAGE was excellent... SKIPPY was drippy.... TRADER HORN was more famous for its location shooting and Edwina Booth's illness than for drama.... Never seen EAST LYNN....

My vote would have been a toss-up between CIMARRON and THE FRONT PAGE....

Never seen EAST LYNN...

It's never been released in any kind of home video format. There is one copy in existance and it's stored at UCLA.

I thought Cimarron was a long lumbering dinosaur, large in scope but little on inspiration.

EAST LYNN apparently was of the WAY DOWN EAST genre and a famous old war-horse of a play.... it starred Ann Harding, Clive Brook, and Conrad Nagel....

> {quote:title=Bargar wrote:}{quote}

> When you consider that "Touch of Evil"(Orson Welles triumph) and "Vertigo" were

> released at the same time as "Gigi", and weren't even nominated, that was a

> major oversight, in my opinion. Considering J. Stewart's dark perfomance and Hitchcock's

> direction, it puzzled me.

I agree with you about "Gigi". And "Vertigo" should have won. But I am sure the reason "Touch Of Evil" didn't win is because it's original version was a B-movie, and the producers slashed TONS of the Great Welles AMAZINGNESS out of it. (They WERE idiots!)

The restored version should have won, but I can see why the original version didn't win.

"Gigi" is DEFINITELY up there with "The Greatest Show On The Earth" (I think "The Quiet Man" should have won that time.)

Last year I asked my mom if she had seen it (I hadn't seen it then), and she said "Eww, it is a movie about a dirty old man marrying a young girl." I HAD to see it then :) . I realized that Louis Jourdan was not EXACTLY a dirty, old man, but I still found the movie not very well made.

I know I will probably get in trouble for this, but it was like "An American In Paris" for me. It felt some how incomplete.

>EAST LYNN apparently was of the WAY DOWN EAST genre and a famous old war-horse of a play.... it starred Ann Harding, Clive Brook, and Conrad Nagel....

Variety wrote: "A lavish production, some corking direction, and the elemental appeal of all dramatic hokum."

A comedy called East Lynne on the Western Front was released in 1931, in which soldiers put on a production of East Lynne. Variety wrote: "Recording is not good and the production shoddy, but it's crammed with hoke and will do good business for juvenile matinees and in the neighbourhoods."

"Chariots of Fire - the only film I ever walked out of the theater...after I had fallen asleep."

I love it...

Harold M. Abrahams: If I can't win, I won't run!

It may not have been the worst Oscar winner, but *Chariots of Fire* was the most disappointing. I believe it won over the superior *Reds* because the Academy could not bring itself to vote for a movie that seemed to glorify the Russian Revolution. Academy voters were sensitive about being called leftist and so picked *Chariots* the same way they were more recently sensitive about being called gay and so picked *Crash* over the vastly superior *Brokeback Mountain.*

But I think one of the worst choices was *My Fair Lady* over *Becket, Dr. Strangelove,* and *Zorba the Greek.*

" I believe it won over the superior Reds because the Academy could not bring itself to vote for a movie that seemed to glorify the Russian Revolution. Academy voters were sensitive about being called leftist. "

Superior Reds...

Why so...

By the way, I think Jack Nicholson, Warren Beatty and Dianne Keaton are great actors...

I don't dismiss watching their movies because, well let us say, we are on the different side of the fence when it comes to politics.

I enjoy watching them...

Jack is one of my all time favorites...

But Chariots of Fire is a Great Movie...

Religion,, a rebel...God...Nationalism...Racism...the whole works...

Nope. for me,,,it is a well deserved Academy Award winner...

But, each to his own...

Message was edited by: JakeHolman

Message was edited by: JakeHolman

"Another bad one: All the King's Men. Who wants to spend two hours listening to Broderick Crawford screaming?"

A great film depicting American Politics...

Warren Penn was a genius...

Does one have to have sympathy for characters to like a film, or have it be a deserved Oscar winner??

And Seik..."METROPOLIS" would have been the more forward thinking thought. But no one could ever accuse the Academy of NOT making safe choices. Ugh!!

AMERICAN BEAUTY was a great film. It beautifully stripped away all the facades we wear in our daily lives. It revealed the secrets we don't want revealed. If you didn't get that, it's no wonder you disliked it. Perhaps you should see it again and reflect upon the similarities to the lives you and your contemporaries live. You might learn something that will take you to a higher level of self awareness.