Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The worst film ever to win Best Picture and why . . .

There were many years when I think the "wrong" film won for Best Picture ( "Crash" over "Brokeback Mountain"; "Ordinary People" over "Raging Bull" !; come to mind); but as far as really BAD movies winning the Oscar, I'd have to go with GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, DANCES WITH WOLVES, or THE STING

'DANCES WITH WOLVES" Nah...say it ain't so Ennis. "...Wolves" was a good spirited epic out the lost of the West, Native Americans... Gee.

SEIK: "My choice for the worst film in the modern era would be Gladiator, I haven't made myself very popular by saying that..."

Boy, I can see why. Another epic, ultimately a sad story for our hero... Gee.

ILRM, You are so right about "the idiots" in regard to Orson Welles' films in general.

I think your Mom's statement about Louis Jourdan is hysterical. Do you think she

was confused and thought it was Maurice Chevalier?! :)

"The Quiet Man" is a favorite of mine and it definitely should have won over the "circus"

picture. It has such wonderful character actors and John Wayne and beautiful Maureen

O'Hara. So romantic!

I have enjoyed this little exchange. Soon....Bg

"Chariots of Fire, Shakespeare in Love and Million Dollar Baby are also high on my list of duds."

I compliment you on your unquestionable taste in movies...

Harold M. Abrahams: If I can't win, I won't run!

Sybil Gordon: If you don't run, you can't win.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19810101/REVIEWS/101010313/1023

Chariots of Fire, Shakespeare in Love and Million Dollar Baby are also high on my list of duds.

Chariots of fire - Would have picked Raiders

Shakespeare in Love - Would have picked Saving Private Ryan

Million Dollar Baby - Loved that film, good choice

I liked *No Country for Old Men* but I had an issue with the ending.

I liked *Annie Hall* but I wasn't too crazy about the more serious, sophisticated Woody Allen. I miss films like *Love and Death*.

I just think the guy is too old to be elected President. He's in his 70's - imagine if he gets elected for a 2nd term..he'd be close to 80.....

I don't want to have a political debate...but NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN can be an excellent cartoon strip for McCain. Obama can use it in his campaign too!

Chariots of Fire, Shakespeare in Love and Million Dollar Baby are also high on my list of duds.

Hated the first, disagreed with the acadent about the second, loved the third.

"Forrest Gump"!! This was 1 of the worst films ever made!! Ever!! I hated it in theater, & I still do!! A pile of sugar coated crap!"

Really? You little dip...

Forrest Gump: Mama always said, dying was a part of life.

NCF: "McCain has to be laughing at the Democrats - they are fighting each other instead of fighting McCain."

As a Democrat, I'd agree. But after the official nominee is picked, the "regular" election will be very anti-climatic. Now, let's have a thread to vote for the "worst President ever to win an election."

I would like to see No Country for Old Men - I heard it was a good movie.

Actually it is a very good movie. But the ending is kind of a question mark.

I'd go with 1952's choice of "The Greatest Show on Earth" beating out "High Noon" and "Singin in the Rain". Obviously the academy was trying to pay tribute to Cecil B. DeMille and thought this was their last chance. If they had waited four years they could have given him a more legitimate award when he made "The Ten Commandments".

Then there is the 1936 decision for "The Great Ziegfeld" when "Dodsworth" was clearly a much better film.

There is the 2004 decision for "Million Dollar Baby". The film is not bad, it's just not the year's best by any means. It is interesting that the voting for best picture that year was going on at the same time the Terri Schiavo case was in the news, paralleling the message of the movie.

It seems that the Academy makes their worst decisions when they are either trying to make a political statement as with "Million Dollar Baby", or when they are trying to rectify what they see as past omissions and mistakes and - in the process - make even more omissions and mistakes.

Singin' in the Rain was only a minor success here in the states in it's initial release. DeMille's film won because a lot of academy members were either in it, worked on it or knew someone who worked on it. Greatest Show on Earth was a box office hit.

Historical note: In 1952, while Joe McCarthy and his sycophants were looking for communist messages in American movies, we were shipping movies to Europe. Singin? in the Rain was a modest hit here in it?s initial release but in Europe it was seen as an mirror of the American Dream. Those people assumed that we all drove cars, owned televisions, sang and danced and were dressed beautifully. They wanted that opulence and so it turned many away from Communism. So while we in America were looking for Communist messages in our own movies, our own movies were in Europe helping to fight off Communism.

The Soviet Union and Communist Bloc nations endured quite nicely for another thirty-seven years after SINGIN' IN THE RAIN came out. The idea that that film, or any American movies, "turned people away from Communism" is ludicrous, especially since most American films were never released in the U.S.S.R. and Eastern Europe.

Those Western European countries with strong Communist parties, like France and Italy, were distinctly un-aligned with Moscow, anyway, so the influence of U.S. culture in keeping them from drifting eastward was limited, to say the least.