Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The worst film ever to win Best Picture and why . . .

You know, it's funny. I found that I only agreed with the academy six times for Best Picture. I think in 80 years that had to get it right sooner or later.

This is kind of negative. If a movie wins the Oscar it must have something. Just because I don't get it or somebody else doesn't get it, that doesn't change that alot of people liked it.

One case in point is Around The World In 80 Days and I've heard people that have seen it on TV say they just don't get it, and that is indeed the problem because they saw it on TV. From what I gather you had to see it on wide screen Cinerama to fully appreciate this movie. Perhaps the same is true of Greatest Show on Earth. Some movies just aren't the same in pan and scan on the small TV screen. I've heard people say they don't get Gone With The Wind, but again they are seeing it on TV, not the big screen which was awesome.

Myself, I didn't get Out Of Africa or English Patient. I think Tom Jones is just a whole lot of nothing. I like the singer but not the movie. Maybe I'm just not seeing it right or I'm missing something in these movies. ....On the other hand I liked Million Dollar Baby but some people I know didn't, probably because of the ending which goes against alot of peoples religious beliefs, but I liked it.

Then there are great movies like the 1990s version of Last of the Mohicans or The Firm and these movies don't win anything, but I really liked them. Or a movie like Hard Times with Chales Bronson which is not an Oscar movie but its a good movie set in the depression era. I liked Cinderella Man and I think that did win some awards. I really enjoyed Steven Kings " The Mist " and the other one with the motel room number. I'm guessing 1408. Those get nominated for nothing but those Steven King movis are usually worth watching. Sometimes his stuff gets noticed like The Shinning, The Green Mile or Shawshank Redemption or Misery.

But I don't really get into saying what the worst movie to win the Oscar was. Not everything is for everybody. When I was a kid I liked the Sound of Music. I don't like it as much years later. That doesn't make it any less of a movie. Many people still love it. I still like Climb Every Mountain, or the Baron choking up singing as he sees his family and nation over run by Nazis. The rest of the movie is children songs and I just am not into that anymore. Because I have changed does not change the movie. Just because I think 'Swing Time " is a better musical doesn't mean its so.

So what I'm getting at is everything is not your cup of tea. I do think that if a movie wins the Oscar, and you don't like it, you or me are probably missing something and thats OK. We don't have to like everything. There had to be something to the movie to win that we aren't into. I walked out of a movie theatre and you could hear the entire movie theatre grumble about " Pulp Fiction ". They thought they had been ripped off. The same with " Get Shorty " and on that the audience was probably right for grumbling.

I will say that not all old movies are good, and not all new movies are bad. I've been hearing that all my life that they don't make good movies anymore. I heard it in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and now and its just not true. Some movies don't hold up over time, a good example would be Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice which I didn't like even then but I just can't see how this story line holds up today. Some movies become out dated. Others are timeless classics such as " The Best Years Of Our Lives " . That could just as easily be soldiers returning from Iraq if you watch it right.

So heres to the Oscar Movies, even if I didn't get into some of them. I liked most of them.

I've learned a lesson about movie bashing from discussing King Kong of all movies. Now I like the original Fay Wray version. ...but the 1970s version has very good music that sticks with you and the special effects aren't as bad as I thought they were. Plus its got the Twin Towers as a co-star. ......the 2000s version uses modern effects and its watchable also. So just because I like the original version doesn't make me right or anybody else wrong. Its all matter of opinion. ......Same as with this who was the worst Oscar stuff.....again, if you've only seen some of these movies on TV, then you never saw how it looked like on wide screen. I know The Music Man was great on wide screen. Come to think of it, thats what made Sound of Music, that big opening mountain shot on wide screen. I'm sure thats whats missing watching Cinerama movies on TV. Its not the same experience at all.

Message was edited by: WhyaDuck

nicely said......

CHICAGO has great music and good cast but the directing/editing was god-awful and ruined most of the dance numbers

I see the Oscars this way: You have to go year by year, each film won for reasons that came from that year alone. Maybe politics, maybe good campaigning, maybe artistic merit, but they all won the Oscar for reasons that were immediate to that time. Looking back over the years, the film will probably lose something as trends grow, technology changes, attitudes turn and the film may not be the time capsule it should be.

I can complain that It's a Wonderful Life or Singin' in the Rain didn't win the Oscar for Best Picture but in 1946 and 1952 these films weren't major hits, they became classics through the progression of time as a new generation discovered them.

It is kind of pointless to argue over the worst mistakes the academy has made but sometimes you can't help but look back and shrug your shoulders. That's just my perspective.

Having said that four of the first six Oscar movies were not very impressive, I'd like to say that "The Life of Emile Zola," is the first really disappointing best picture nominee. I thought that the Dreyfuss Affair, a truly malignant and powerful conspiracy worthy of Oliver Stone's most perfevid indignation, was done rather blandly.

"The Great Ziegfeld," does not have many admirers. I wouldn't know. Looking to the forties, "Rebecca" and "How Green is my Valley," are slightly looked down upon because they took the award from movies that deserved it better. But they're generally respected as important works by major filmmakers. "Mrs. Miniver" is not as respected, but some people like it (it is believe George H.W. Bush's favorite movie). I've never seen "Gentleman's Agreement," though people nowadays think it's not the best way of dealing with racism. I believe it was the director Elia Kazan who said that its message was that you should never discriminate against a Jew because he might actually be a gentile.

Ok, rather than intermittently go over all the Best Pictures, let's put them in categories.

WINNERS THAT EVERYONE AGREES WERE THE BEST OF THE YEAR: All quiet on the Western Front, Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather, Annie Hall, Unforgiven, Schindler's List

WINNERS THAT ARE CLEARLY ARE AMONG THE GREATEST EVER MADE, BUT MIGHT NOT NECESSARILY BEEN THE VERY BEST OF THE YEAR, OR WHICH SOME INTELLIGENT FILM CRITICS STRONGLY DISLIKE: It happened one night, Gone with the Wind, The Best Years of Our Lives, All About Eve, On the Waterfront, The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Apartment, West Side Story, The Godfather, Part II, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Deer Hunter, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, No Country for Old Men

WINNERS THAT ARE GOOD, BUT ARE PROBABLY NOT THE MOST IMAGINATIVE MOVIE FOR THE BEST OF THE YEAR: Grand Hotel, Mutiny on the Bounty, Hamlet, All the King's Men, From Here to Eternity, The Sound of Music, A Man for all Seasons, In the Heat of the Night, Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection, The Sting, Ordinary People, Gandhi, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Platoon, The Last Emperor, The Silence of the Lambs, Million Dollar Baby, The Departed

WINNERS THAT ARE GOOD, BUT CLEARLY DID NOT DESERVE TO WIN BECAUSE OF THE COWARDICE OR SPITE OF THE ACADEMY: Rebecca, How Green was my Valley

WINNERS THAT ARE DISLIKED FOR WINNING OVER BETTER ONES: Gigi, Dances with Wolves

WINNERS THAT ARE DISLIKED FOR WINNING OVER BETTER ONES, BUT WHICH ARE ACTUALLY PRETTY GOOD: Around the World in 80 Days, Oliver!, The English Patient

WINNERS THAT SHOW THEIR AGE OR WILL NOT LAST THE TEST OF TIME: Wings, The Broadway Melody, The Life of Emile Zola, Mrs. Miniver, Going my Way, The Last Weekend, An American in Paris, Marty, Tom Jones, My Fair Lady, Rocky, Kramer vs. Kramer, Chariots of Fire, Terms of Endearment, Driving Ms. Daisy, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Chicago

WINNERS THAT ONLY WON BECAUSE THEY WERE OBSCENELY SUCCESSFUL: The Greatest Show of All, Ben-Hur, Forrest Gump, Titanic

WINNERS THAT ARE CLEARLY UNDESERVING: Cimarron, Cavalcade, The Great Ziegfeld, Gentleman's Agreement, A Beautiful Mind

WINNERS THAT, WHATEVER OTHER CATEGORY PEOPLE MAY PUT THEM IN, I CLEARLY DESPISE: Forrest Gump, Braveheart, Titanic, Gladiator, Crash

"I see the Oscars this way: You have to go year by year, each film won for reasons that came from that year alone. Maybe politics, maybe good campaigning, maybe artistic merit, but they all won the Oscar for reasons that were immediate to that time. Looking back over the years, the film will probably lose something as trends grow, technology changes, attitudes turn and the film may not be the time capsule it should be."

Very insightful Selk, I agree. I'll also say that almost any film of any year that is "on the edge", ie, topical towards any contemporary trends or movements, runs the risk of being dated quickly. What that means is, if one doesn't take their "head" back in time on a social level while judging these films, their greatness can be easily missed.

> {quote:title=skimpole wrote:}{quote}

> WINNERS THAT SHOW THEIR AGE OR WILL NOT LAST THE TEST OF TIME: The Last Weekend

"The Lost Weekend" Hate to correct, but I HAVE to stand up for Ray! Surprisingly I just watched it again last night. And even though the last time I saw it was only a couple of months ago...I was amazed. Now you are talking about a teenager, who usually prefers NOT to watch dramas, but likes musicals and comedies. But it is SO powerful.

> WINNERS THAT ARE CLEARLY UNDESERVING: Gentleman's Agreement

Why was it undeserving? It was an amazing film that had some pretty explosive themes for its time. And for today, the point it gets across IS relevant and quite necessary to remember at times.

Once again, maybe older movies were better at the time than you think they are now. New movies you may learn to like more over time. Maybe you don't like musicals, or westerns, or comedys, or mysterys, or love storys, or English dramas. Maybe some of the older movies looked better before time destroyed the copies of the film. Such an example is what is left of " On The Western Front ". It has been restored to be better than it was, but I'm sure it looked better when it came out. If you've only seen some of these movies on TV, then you didn't see them as intended on the big screen. I doubt if any of us on the board have seen ALL the movies ever nominated for the Oscar. Some may indeed be lost before restoration was started.

So I think the negative look to worst Oscar ever is narrow minded because not all of us like everything.

Instead, lets applaud some of the movies that DIDN'T win. Here are a few that I think were pretty good :

San Francisco

Goodbye, Mr Chips

Mr Smith Goes To Washington

Of Mice and Men

Stagecoach

Wizard of Oz

Wuthering Heights

Grapes of Wrath

Citizen Kane

Maltese Falcon

Seargent York

Suspicion

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Streetcar Named Desire

High Noon

Caine Mutiny

Mr Roberts

12 Angry Men

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

The Defiant Ones

Anatamy of a Murder

Diary of Anne Frank

Judgement at Nuremberg

To Kill A Mockingbird

Lilies of the Field

The Sand Pebbles

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

M*A*S*H

American Graffiti

The Exorcist

Chinatown

Jaws

Network

Star Wars

Coming Home

Raging Bull

E.T.

The Verdict

A Few Good Men

Scent of a Woman

Shawshank Redemption

Apollo 13

LA Confidential

Saving Private Ryan

Seabiscuit

The Aviator

There are many other nominated movies besides these, but I think these have Oscar quality.

There are even more good movies that were never even nominated. I didn't see where The Big Country or Modern Times were ever nominated. I didn't see Spartacus or the 1990s version of Last of the Mohicans nominated. If you want to see a nice movie watch Anthony Hopkins in what I believe is called The Worlds Fastest Indian ( I know I'm at least close on the title ). Did Cinderella Man win or get nominated for anything. If not, its a great movie.

So instead of complaing about who won this year or 5 years ago or 20 years ago or 70 years ago........Lets just accept that we all like some of the Oscar winners over the years and hate some of the Oscar winners over the years. ...We all have movies that we like that never won or

were never nominated. .....and the same can be said of Box Office Hits over the years......Myself, I didn't care for Shrek 2 but alot of people paid to go see it. ....

Myself, Oscar has got me to watch some movies that I really liked, but it has also had me sit through some movies that I didn't like. ....So you just have to live with that.

Perhaps to clarify matters, I have not seen the following Best Picture winners:

Wings

The Broadway Melody

Cimarron

Cavalcade

The Great Ziegfeld

Mrs. Miniver

Going My Way

Gentelman's Agreement

All the King's Men

The Greatest Show on Earth

In the Heat of the Night

Driving Miss Daisy

Dances with Wolves

For what it's worth, I didn't find The Last Weekend very special. On the other hand Michael Gebert's Encyclopedia of Movie Awards and the Hindsight Awards at madbeast.com are quite scathing about it.

A short list:

_Worst movies_: *The Great Ziegfeld*, *The Greatest Show on Earth*, *Around the World In 80 Days*, *Chariots of Fire*, *Danced with Wolves* (boyfriend and I actually treat this one like a comedy), *Gladiator*, *Titanic*, *Shakespeare in Love* (SiL's win still makes me mad), *Crash*, *A Beautiful Mind*

_Wholly undeserving of the Oscar, though not exactly bad_: *An American in Paris* (vs. A Place in the Sun and Streetcar??? Wha??), *Gigi* (vs. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and The Defiant Ones? Huh?), *Silence of the Lambs*, *Forrest Gump* (sorry guys, it's epic, full of great performances and played on nostalgia... but more important than Pulp Fiction or better than Shawshank and Quiz Show? I say nay.), *Chicago*, and *Million Dollar Baby*.

Annie Hall (there were tons of better pictures that year Aka. Star Wars, Goodbye Girl, Close Encounters, Etc.), No Country for Old Men (Juno was Ton's Better), The Apartment (As good as that movie is, I really don't think it was best picture quality.), Ordinary People (Terrible Movie. The sourness really starts to get you after a while), Kramer Vs. Kramer ( I don't think that the script was as good as it could of been.), Million Dollar Baby (Again, I don't think it's as good as the other movies that year).