Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Beatles changed everything.  I was there in the before and after.  I remember seeing them for the first time B.S. (Before Sullivan) on the Jack Paar show.  He had been to England and returned with film footage that he ran at least a month before The Boys appeared on Ed Sullivan's stage. They had a look and a sound unlike anything before them. They were original and revolutionary.  The early songs, which some people dismiss as fluff, were radical for their time (I actually prefer their earlier music to their later work). Rather than being an extension of the 1950s, they signalled its end. Such was their transforming power that literally nothing was ever the same after the Beatles.

I remember standing in a queue that went around the block just to buy an advance ticket to see A Hard Day's Night when it was first released.  I still have my ticket stub. The movie to me is reminiscent of the old Marx Brothers shenanigans -- fast-paced, playful, irreverent, with fantastic dialogue.  I can't say enough about the Beatles or A Hard Day's Night -- one of my top five films of all time.  I sense that Dr. Ament and Dr. Rydstrom are kindred spirits.  I'd like to thank them for including A Hard Day's Night in this course and for their insightful comments in the Lecture Video.   Beatles 4 Ever!

• Like 3

Great post, Charlie's Girl!  I feel the same about the Beatles though I gained my love and respect from my dad's younger brother who lived with us a while in the late 1960s and played drums in our basement!  My first song as a child was "Baby You're a Rich Man", my mother told me. I know I liked the part about "keep all your money in a big brown bag inside a zoo. What a thing to do!" 

When I was 13 I saw "A Hard Days' Night" in the dollar theater near my house at least 12 times over 3 days. I emerged from that weekend feeling like I knew each Beatle in depth, which made our professors' discussion about each boy's character being shaped in the film ring very true to me.  It also makes the film "Let It Be" so sad to see how distant each is to the other after that close interaction and fun of their early days. 

I was immediately attracted to Edwards phrase "Charming Radicalization" as you also seem to have been. Excellent wordsmithing!   Have you seen Howard Goodall's Sgt Pepper documentary?  It's excellent. 

From one fan to another!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mariaki said:

Great post, Charlie's Girl!  I feel the same about the Beatles though I gained my love and respect from my dad's younger brother who lived with us a while in the late 1960s and played drums in our basement!  My first song as a child was "Baby You're a Rich Man", my mother told me. I know I liked the part about "keep all your money in a big brown bag inside a zoo. What a thing to do!" 

When I was 13 I saw "A Hard Days' Night" in the dollar theater near my house at least 12 times over 3 days. I emerged from that weekend feeling like I knew each Beatle in depth, which made our professors' discussion about each boy's character being shaped in the film ring very true to me.  It also makes the film "Let It Be" so sad to see how distant each is to the other after that close interaction and fun of their early days. 

I was immediately attracted to Edwards phrase "Charming Radicalization" as you also seem to have been. Excellent wordsmithing!   Have you seen Howard Goodall's Sgt Pepper documentary?  It's excellent. 

From one fan to another!  

Ooooh!  Always wonderful to meet a fellow Beatles fan.  I never outgrew my Beatlemania.  I have not seen Howard Goodall's documentary but I will definitely look for it.  I've been to many Beatles festivals, lived in Liverpool, and I have heard countless tribute bands.  I've lost count of the number of times I've seen the Beatles' films.  But A Hard Day's Night twelve times in three days has got to beat my record!  Impressive!  A true fan.  <3

• Like 1

I heard a millennial-era colleague humming “Let It Be” at work the other day, just like it was 1969. She loves their music. It’s amazing how The Beatles never get old.

• Like 2

I remember the first time I heard the Beatles' music: sitting in my mother's kitchen in January 1964 doing my home work, the transistor radio playing "She Loves You" and I was hooked. Saw Hard Day's Night when it came out among a mob of teenage screaming girls. Not being much of a screamer myself, I was a little put off because I couldn't hear the film. Now, almost 55 years later, I'm addicted to the Beatles channel on Sirius XM. There are some songs that I've actually never heard until recently, like Hey Bull Dog. Makes it new every day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Suzy-Q said:

I remember the first time I heard the Beatles' music: sitting in my mother's kitchen in January 1964 doing my home work, the transistor radio playing "She Loves You" and I was hooked. Saw Hard Day's Night when it came out among a mob of teenage screaming girls. Not being much of a screamer myself, I was a little put off because I couldn't hear the film. Now, almost 55 years later, I'm addicted to the Beatles channel on Sirius XM. There are some songs that I've actually never heard until recently, like Hey Bull Dog. Makes it new every day.

Great song!  Thanks for sharing your Beatles memories!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1