Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Well, It's happened again. . . .

7 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

That had to be a long, long time ago. I don't recall TCM ever having shown that.

One of my favorites is the very quiet, All the Way Home (1963). There's a great moment when he gives his kid some money to get an ice cream and a movie so he and his wife (played by Jean Simmons) can be "alone".

Robert Preston is truly wonderful in this often overlooked film.

I just have twice in 2000.

Thanks for letting me know.  My link to your page on when things were last on TCM couldn't connect.

I'd consider 19 years a rather long time between airings.  Perhaps it's time to screen it again!

How about Robert Preston for Summer Under the Stars?  Has he ever been chosen?

On 6/27/2018 at 6:20 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

"BAAAAAAAAALLLZAC!"

Not to quibble, Lorna, but ... I seem to remember it as:

"BAAAAAAAWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLZAC"

...with the distinction between bawl--- and bal---significant because the former is incorrect pronunciation while the latter is correct. Part of humor consist in the fact that the ladies in their unabashed contempt unwittingly pronounce it incorrectly.

Robert Preston is as good as anyone could possibly be in this or any other movie, one of supreme performance of all time. And I never cease to be mesmerized by the antic (if that's the right word) rhythm of that number on the train at the beginning.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Thanks for letting me know.  My link to your page on when things were last on TCM couldn't connect.

I'd consider 19 years a rather long time between airings.  Perhaps it's time to screen it again!

How about Robert Preston for Summer Under the Stars?  Has he ever been chosen?

Make sure you update your bookmarks with my new link, it is very similar to the old one (the new one is a DOT COM, the old one wasn't):
http://www.moviecollectoroh.com

• Thanks 1

I just saw this for the very first time. I rate it 7/10, mostly for Robert Preston, I can't think of anyone else being able to pull this one off. 

In the fan dedication Ben Mank makes a reference to Cary Grant being offered the movie role of Harold Hill but turning it down, saying that he would not even see the film if Robert Preston does not play the part. I had always heard that story about Grant turning down the Henry Higgins part and Rex Harrison in "My Fair Lady", which one is true, can it be both?