Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sound issues with Seven Brides for Seven Brothers?

I'm watching it again, for the umpteenth time and I never noticed until now that in the scene where Millie and Adam are getting married and the Preacher is facing them and has his back to the camera his voice sounds like it's coming through an old transistor radio. It's audible with no static but very thin and reedy. And in the scene when Adam goes up to the bedroom on their wedding night, at one point he is standing near the left edge of the frame and his voice, also, has that thin cheap radio sound. When he steps over to where Millie is standing his voice comes in clear and strong. I don't know if there are any other scenes like this or not, as I paused the video to go to the computer to post this.

I don't know how I never caught this before but unless this is a first it escaped me completely every other time I've seen the movie. It could be my TV but I've watched it at least twice on the same TV and literally never noticed a thing until now.

I also wondered about how she was ringing the dinner bell while she was holding it. I thought, wouldn't that mute or muffle the ringing? A little later I was reading the "Goofs" section on IMDB and the dinner bell was actually one of the goofs mentioned.

Well apparently it's my TV. I put it to the ultimate test and watched the Lida Rose/Sweet and Low number from Music Man. Sometimes I couldn't hear Shirley Jones at all.

The TV is our first and only flat screen TV, an older version that friends gave us when they upgraded a couple of years ago. I would think I've seen either Music Man and/or Seven Brides at least once since then but maybe not. So I'm thinking either the TV doesn't have stereo speakers or a component has gone bad.

I hate that...we don't have the money to get a new one and won't for the foreseeable future.

2 hours ago, DeannaDares said:

Well, fwiw, I noticed this as well when it was broadcast recently. And that was the first time I've ever heard that weird sound, and I've seen the movie more than a few times on TCM...

It sounded like there was one mic suspended from the ceiling and sometimes the actor(s) would step out of range. I actually found what sounds like a decent TV on Walmart.com for less than $100 but I don't want to invest even that much if it's an issue with the broadcast and not with my TV. Did you notice on any other movies or just Seven Brides?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, BlueMoods said:

It sounded like there was one mic suspended from the ceiling and sometimes the actor(s) would step out of range. I actually found what sounds like a decent TV on Walmart.com for less than $100 but I don't want to invest even that much if it's an issue with the broadcast and not with my TV. Did you notice on any other movies or just Seven Brides?

I immediately changed channels to see if it was my TV as well! But the dynamics, volume and sound were fine on the other channels…

I stream TCM on Sling TV and before that DirecTV Now, so I'm used to some glitches from time to time and that's what I thought it might be. TCM is one of the glitchiest channels on streaming services in my experience.