Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have loved every moment of this course but I do have one complaint. Some of the movies that have been discussed have been aired at horrible times to be able to watch. Some movies have been aired after midnight and some have started at 5am. I’m lucky to be able to watch all the movies from morning till midnight but I have to sleep sometime and feel some of the movies could have been aired on Wednesday afternoon or evening especially this last week. I’m lucky that I’ve seen most of the movies ( some many times) but the few I’ve never seen I would like to be able to watch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Were it not for DVR I would have the same issue. As it is, I'll be watching DVR when my husband's at work for weeks to come. I also opted to skip some, ones I've either seen and not been overly impressed by or ones I've never seen and never had an interest in doing so, in order to preserve the limited space on my DVR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I totally get why TCM only devoted Tuesdays and Thursdays to Mad About Musicals. They pride themselves on different programming blocks, and while there are enough musicals out there for them to have been shown every day in June, not everyone is as gaga for them as we are. The fans of Noir Alley, TCM underground, and Leslie Howard (the star of the month) would get really peeved if we stepped on their blocks. 

I have a heck of a lot of musicals on Blu-ray, but I, too, have been DVRing the ones I don't own that have aired when I'm either at work or asleep. I've been watching TCM live Tuesday and Thursday nights, and the other days of the week, I've been watching a mix of Blu-rays and DVRs that correlate to the week's decade. Because we're cramming both the 60s and 70s this week, what I'm doing is focusing mainly on the 60s in general and only on the 70s films the course is highlighting. Then, for my own enjoyment, I'm going to continue the 70s on my own next week along with the scant few 80s ones. I'll probably keep going after that just because I've made it that far, so why not?

• Like 3

For those of us without a DVR it has been sometimes frustrating, especially when movies featured in the lectures are shown at odd hours.  But TCM has to make programming choices.  Overall, it's been a great course! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lady Lewyn said:

I have loved every moment of this course but I do have one complaint. Some of the movies that have been discussed have been aired at horrible times to be able to watch. Some movies have been aired after midnight and some have started at 5am. I’m lucky to be able to watch all the movies from morning till midnight but I have to sleep sometime and feel some of the movies could have been aired on Wednesday afternoon or evening especially this last week. I’m lucky that I’ve seen most of the movies ( some many times) but the few I’ve never seen I would like to be able to watch. 

Hi Lady Lewyn.  If you have Comcast/Xfinity you can always watch all the movies On Demand for probably a 4 days to a week after.  So this weeks movies you should be able to watch them to the end of this week and the beginning of next.  I'm not sure how any other cable provider works but maybe it works the same way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I should have mentioned I don’t have access to OnDemand or a DVR so I can only watch what TCM broadcasts, when they broadcast it. Over all, I’ve loved watching, learning and discussing these great musicals. 

In previous courses they have always made sure that one or two of the featured films every week is available in some sort of public access format. I agree -- couldn't do this without the Tivo / DVR, and even then, there's not enough space to keep them all. ...let's face it, TCM is hoping we'll buy a few of our favorites from their shop.  And maybe I will!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Barbara C said:

Are any of these movies on Netflix?

I havent seen any musicals on Netflix. I got The Music Man from them but that was many years ago. They might not have it still. In general there is a severe lack of classics on Netflix (streaming is much worse).

I mentioned this earlier in another thread.  TCM airs its movies at the same moment across the country.  So a film that starts at 7:00 pm eastern also starts at 4:00 pm pacific.  It is impossible for them to air a film at a time that is not inconvenient for some part of the country. 

I think they depend on our DVR'ing those we want to see.  And for that, I would love to see a list of films that will be discussed in the lectures or daily doses.  The recommendations provided do not do this.  Some of the films are available for viewing at any time on Watch TCM's Movies on Demand.  They seem to be there for a limited amount of time, but right now there are quite a few movies that air on TCM this week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am retired so I thought I could watch the movies, but I found that I couldn’t sit and watch all day. Most of the movies I’d seen several times so I didn’t watch them again. 

19 hours ago, Barbara C said:

Are any of these movies on Netflix?

They are if you have the DVD option.  We have the streaming and DVD plan and I order often.  The movie Silk Stockings arrived here a few days ago.  I either order from Netflix, or many times my area public library has many different genres of DVDs that are available for loan.  

The problem with relying on the OnDemand option, as I have discovered this week to my chagrin, is that TCM doesn't have the rights to all of these movies -- especially the musicals from this past week.  It would have been extremely helpful if TCM and/or the instructors had let us know in advance which films would not be available OnDemand after they were shown on the network.  I don't have a DVR, so I would have made a specific effort to watch some of the films as they were being shown if I'd known I wouldn't have a chance to see them later.  

On 6/28/2018 at 2:44 PM, jawz63 said:

I am retired so I thought I could watch the movies, but I found that I couldn’t sit and watch all day. Most of the movies I’d seen several times so I didn’t watch them again. 

I'm with you.  I am also retired.  It is very hard for me to sit still and watch any movie (not just my favorite - musicals) without getting antsy.  I am planning to watch some documentaries (one of my favorite genres) on musicals.  I am also going to brush off all the "That's Entertainment" videos, as well as "That's Dancing".   

• Like 1

Don't forget about the old Public Library.  They might have quite a few of these on DVD to check out for free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, nohojim said:

Don't forget about the old Public Library.  They might have quite a few of these on DVD to check out for free.

I volunteer at my local public library every week - shelving and shelf-reading the DVDs.  I find quite a few classics in the mix.   There are movies, TV shows, foreign films, instruction videos, and documentary films.  It is a wonderful resource.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's free. I don't have DVR. They can't cater an entire cable broadcast network to a free course either. I think they are wonderful and appreciate them offering this to us. The course outlined the film suggestions each week, one, two, or four. It wasn't necessary to watch 20 hours of film a day. Could we have? Sure. Did it feel like we were missing out on a lot since things were discussed that we didn't get a chance to watch? Sure. However, you can always check things out from a local library for free, sign up for free trials to various services to piece things together, and make it work. Sling offers a 1 or 2 week trial and offers the movies on demand. I was able to catch a few that way.

• Like 1

Plus we’ll always  have the insights from this course,  so when we get a chance to watch these films again in the future – as we undoubtedly will, because TCM shows films over and over again – we can think about what we’ve learned.

11 hours ago, ShanStinson said:

It's free. I don't have DVR. They can't cater an entire cable broadcast network to a free course either. I think they are wonderful and appreciate them offering this to us. The course outlined the film suggestions each week, one, two, or four. It wasn't necessary to watch 20 hours of film a day. Could we have? Sure. Did it feel like we were missing out on a lot since things were discussed that we didn't get a chance to watch? Sure. However, you can always check things out from a local library for free, sign up for free trials to various services to piece things together, and make it work. Sling offers a 1 or 2 week trial and offers the movies on demand. I was able to catch a few that way.

Let me just add that watching a whole lot of movies each week doesn't leave much time for reflection, especially if you have other commitments during the day.

I have a DVR, and I didn't look at a lot of movies each week.  I looked at all of the uploaded videos and occasionally recorded a movie that had been mentioned in one of the lectures and peaked my interest.  It seemed to me that the thrust of the course was to look at each film as a reflection of its time and by doing so we learn something about the time and about the film.  It's an approach one can learn with a few or with many films.  Does watching a lot of films in the course of one week improve the learning process?  Maybe, but it seems to me that at some point the emphasis shifts from learning to watching.  Watching only a few films each week allows more time for thinking about what one has seen and learning from it.