Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skibone

Favorite Musical Acts in Non-Musicals

What are your favorite musical acts in non-musicals?  I'll post a few of mine below.  I'll warn you that some of these are campy but I like them haha.

Vanity performing Seventh Heaven in The Last Dragon -  She wasn't the greatest singer but she was absolutely beautiful.  This scene sets her up just like it's supposed to as the alluring celebrity that's close enough to touch but just out of reach.

Rita Hayworth - Put the Blame on Mame (Acoustic) - I've heard somewhere that this is actually her voice in this one.  I can't find the the interview she did when she mentioned that her voice was used a couple times.  I like this better than the "striptease."

Rita Hayworth - Please Don't Kiss me

Beetlejuice!

I also liked Ingrid Bergman performing See Me Dance The Polka in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. (Couldn't find a clip)

• Like 3

How about Peter Boyle and Gene Wilder doing "Puttin' on the Ritz," in "Young Frankenstein" (1974). Actually, Clark Gable does an acceptable version of this song in "Idiot's Delight" (1939).

• Like 5

I really like the song that Meryl Streep sang in Postcards from the Edge.  Meryl sang it well, but I prefer Reba's version from the Academy Awards.

• Like 1

I liked when Irene Dunne sang to her daughter and other children in the hospital in I Remember Mama. She really had a beautiful voice.

I don’t know who dubbed Deborah Kerr in An Affair to Remember. I think the song was called. How Do You Get To Tomorrowland. It was first sung by her character in a night club and then the children sang it to her after her accident.

Jean Harlow singing Reckless in the film, Reckless.

• Like 1

Not exactly a musical "act" but more of a musical "scene" -- in an early Hitchcock film, The Man Who Knew Too Much.  An assassination attempt in the midst of an opera.  The tension is palpable.  

And another "opera" scene -- a comedic one this time with the fabulous Fanny Brice. 

Another one I've always enjoyed is the song and dance interlude in "Citizen Kane" (1941). For lack of a better name, I'll call it the "Charlie Kane Song," performed during a testimonial thrown for the owner and editor of the Enquirer, Charles Foster Kane. In the excitement, Kane (Orson Welles) joins the dance line and leads the song.