Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Asian Silent & Pre-Code Stars

I noticed that TCM is running several silents & pre-Codes with the beautiful Anna May Wong in June. It also looks like there's a bio on Miss Wong as well. Is this a new bio, or something I just have never seen?

Looks interesting...the only one of Miss Wong's movies I've seen in Shanghi Express. Anyone here seen any of her other work?

She is excellent in PICCADILLY (1929), although I don't care much for the film's music score.

She is also very good in TOLL OF THE SEA (1922). I think it may be the only footage of her in color.

She has a very small role in OLD SAN FRANCISCO (1927).

I am looking forward to watching the rarely shown DAUGHTER OF THE DRAGON (1931) and

A STUDY IN SCARLET (1933).

She made a bunch of films for Paramount in the "30's. I have KING OF CHINATOWN, DAUGHTER OF SHANGHAI, ISLAND OF LOST MEN (re-make of 1933's WHITE WOMAN) and DANGEROUS TO KNOW. She also did WHEN WERE YOU BORN for WB in 1938.

Why are they not showing When Were You Born? which hasn't been shown for several years? I think it was shown in January at least 8 or so years ago. It was produced by Warners Brothers so TCM has access to it.

Message was edited by: AspicDandy

Message was edited by: AspicDandy

Good question. My copy is pre-TCM. I got it off TNT back in the early '90's. There are a lot of WB that don't seem to get much play, especially now that many more contemporary titles are being screened. Another one I have is a so-so copy of is UNDER COVER OF NIGHT, a 1937 MGM mystery with Edmund Lowe. Got that one off TNT as well--don't know when that last played on TCM, if ever.

> {quote:title=blackhangman wrote:}{quote}

> Good question. My copy is pre-TCM. I got it off TNT back in the early '90's. There are a lot of WB that don't seem to get much play, especially now that many more contemporary titles are being screened. Another one I have is a so-so copy of is UNDER COVER OF NIGHT, a 1937 MGM mystery with Edmund Lowe. Got that one off TNT as well--don't know when that last played on TCM, if ever.

Same here, taped it off of TNT many moons ago as well. Missed it the first time, had a problem with a betamax if the power was interrupted for just a half sec, it would still record, but off station. Was lucky to get it the next time, because as you say they sure don't run it much, if ever on TCM!

Never even heard of UNDER COVER OF NIGHT!

Why are they not showing When Were You Born? which hasn't been shown for several years? I think it was shown in January at least 8 or so years ago. It was produced by Warners Brothers so TCM has access to it.>>

AspicDandy,

One thing we have to keep in mind is that when TCM first started broadcasting, broadcast-quality videotape was the format. It had been the standard since the mid-1960s. During the heyday of VHS and laser disc, these films were often mastered to this high-end videotape.

When TCM first started broadcasting they were videotape based.

However, technology has zoomed ahead the last few years and we are now in the digital age. TCM, like the other major cable networks, is now broadcasting using digital formats.

The films from the original Turner Library (now under the care and handling of Warner Bros) must be transferred to the latest digital format before they can be aired. This is a labor intensive and costly exercise. In many cases, WBros restores the films before they are re-mastered and that adds time and costs to the process as well.

That is the biggest reason why many of the early films that TCM used to run in its early days are not available to the channel these days.