Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

12 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Just watched HOUSE OF HORRORS '46 on Svengoolie and was struck by how much Virginia Gray reminded me of Drew Barrymore. They both have prominent chins, large arching eyebrows & bow mouths with tiny teeth. Prefer Drew's strong Barrymore nose to Virginia's dainty one.

a6d3d61a5d3e740f2291cf036aebfe23.jpg

fff81b2edfa3ca14cef567e84c49257c.jpg

drew-barrymore-jane-2004-009.jpg

71a8bec2e8a65f08fc6926ebaf6538fb--herb-r

Ya know Tiki, funny, but this very same thought also crossed my mind while watching Svengoolie's presentation last night, and yeah, when Virginia Grey was turned in profile to the camera, especially. 

(,,,and now regarding Drew...I'm sure you'll probably laugh at this, but she somehow has always reminded me of...wait for it...George Reeves...yep, early TV's Superman)

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Remember.... I suggested the reverse possibility.  ;) 

So, if a woman dresses and disguises herself as a man, is it still called "Drag"?  :huh:  I don't recall anyone being famous as a "Male Impersonator".  Although in life I've met many supposed men I thought were.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Actually Sepia, I think the term for this is "Gard".

Get IT? "Drag" spelled backwards!  ;)

(...okay okay...so maybe not) 

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't recall anyone being famous as a "Male Impersonator". 

Well, maybe not as a full-time job, but Tracey Ullman, Lily Tomlin, and Anna Deavere Smith are all known for convincingly impersonating male characters (in Smith's case real-life characters) in their stage and television work.  Possibly the most famous film example is Linda Hunt in The Year of Living Dangerously.

Also, throughout history there have been numerous women who posed as men in order to fight in battle (at least before they were officially allowed in the military, that is).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Fausterlitz said:

Well, maybe not as a full-time job, but Tracey Ullman, Lily Tomlin, and Anna Deavere Smith are all known for convincingly impersonating male characters (in Smith's case real-life characters) in their stage and television work.  Possibly the most famous film example is Linda Hunt in The Year of Living Dangerously.

Also, throughout history there have been numerous women who posed as men in order to fight in battle (at least before they were officially allowed in the military, that is).

And long time SNL cast member Kate McKinnon quite often plays men in that program's skits.

In fact, she might be the present predominant purveyor of it.

(...hey, say THAT three times fast...I dare ya)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, but I was meaning male impersonating not only as a "claim to fame" (as in Linda Hunt) but also as their main forte( like RuPaul's  "drag" career).    For example..

MS.s  Ullman, Tomlin, Smith are more noted for their work as actresses and comediennes and not their seldom delves into male impersonation. 

Sepiatone

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Yeah, but I was meaning male impersonating not only as a "claim to fame" (as in Linda Hunt) but also as their main forte( like RuPaul's  "drag" career).    For example..

MS.s  Ullman, Tomlin, Smith are more noted for their work as actresses and comediennes and not their seldom delves into male impersonation. 

Sepiatone

In answer to your question, yes it is a "thing" , and they're called drag kings, but they don't have the same visibility, and their work is mostly confined to clubs and small performance spaces  rather than TV or movies.  Probably the best known is New York's Murray Hill, who has a Wikipedia page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

So, "drag" works both ways?  

Sepiatone

48 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Yes

I dunno, but the more I think about this, I think my coinage up there of the word  "Gard" in this regard should take root within the general lexicon, if ya ask ME! 

And differentiating THIS word from someone responsible for watching over something because it wouldn't be spelled with one of those superfluous 'u's in it!!!

(...in fact, I've NOW got a good mind to contact those fellas at Merriam-Webster to get the ball rollin' on this...I'm not gonna bother contactin' those fellas at Oxford because they've never seemed to understand why some of those 'u's in some words just aren't necessary)

• Haha 1

My pal Daphne is the spitting image of Divine. Has just about the same temperament too.

78e6d17c1f36e29e18eb7863a9641561--divine

"I TOLD YOU I WANTED CHA CHA HEELS!!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...