Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ZLookAlike1gHughWilliams1b_zpsmzk9ok1a.j

You might consider this one a cheat, but I have recently been watching a number of British films and many of them, Behind the Mask (1936), Bank Holiday (1938) and Paper Orchids (1953) have featured actor Hugh Williams. I have also been watching episodes of Upstairs, Downstairs and realized how very much actor Simon Williams resembles his father. You might think father and son would naturally share a resemblance, and this is hardly worth a mention given the difference between 1930s and 1960s styles . . . however, the resemblance is strong enough for me to attempt to find another quite this striking: Peter Fonda does not resemble his father, Henry, to this degree, Lon Chaney, Jr. did not resemble his father this closely, neither did William Wellman, Jr., John Barrymore, Jr. perhaps resembled his father a bit closer, but I wonder if anyone can see a resemblance between father and son to match Hugh and Simon Williams?

aa229a4b-3c5a-478d-aa56-195306464c1d_zps

• Like 1

It's too bad Grady Sutton -- no relation to Frank "Sgt. Carter" Sutton that I know of -- wasn't hired to play Jim Nabors' father on GOMER PYLE, USMC.  I think that would've been some great casting! 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

While watching THE LONGEST DAY last night on TCM, for some reason Curt Jurgens here...

MV5BMTYyNzc2MDAyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDI2

...reminded me of an older Gary Cooper.

(...anybody else seein' this?)

not really

REALLY, Lawrence?! And after you found a few pics which SEEM to suggest they DO?!

Well, gotta say I think those two older guys there look a heck of a lot more alike than Kid's suggestion that those two younger guys, Perkins and Thompson, look alike, anyway!

(...okay, maybe it's those common bags under the eyes of those two older guys that might be what's givin' me this impression here, but I STILL think that the German dude looks at least A LITTLE like the All-American cowboy star there)

REALLY, Lawrence?! And after you found a few pics which SEEM to suggest they DO?!

You may be right, Dargo. I very often don't see the supposed similarities between people that other people profess to see. I also don't see any similarity between Perkins and Thompson. 

c20192f2-95c0-4fbb-8f96-be8fefdedba7_zps

I noticed, looking ahead on the schedule, that Bank Holiday (1938) will air on Tuesday, June 7 as part of a look at Brighton in films. I mentioned the film early when talking about Hugh and Simon Williams, but now I want to point out a (possible) similarity between one of the actresses, Merle Tottenham, and Patsy Kelley. The photos here show only a vague resemblance, and the reason I made the connection is based less on looks than on a similarity of characters.

b8ace84b-22cc-4661-8657-4a54a896a69e_zps

In Bank Holiday, Merle plays the well meaning but somewhat dim friend of the more glamorous Rene Ray, who is hoping to win a beauty contest. Patsy Kelly, likewise, found herself playing supporting roles to the alluring Thelma Todd in a series of Hal Roach comedies. Both actresses have a (fairly) recognizable screen persona, but each interprets her character equally differently.

950fb02b-515e-4641-b7d0-0267f8133444_zps

The difference in the actresses' screen personas is the stark contrast from Merle's sweetly childlike romantic and Patsy's brashly street wise. What I find interesting about both actresses is their ability, not only to hold their own with their more glamorous screen partners, but often to steal scenes with no small amount of grace. I realize 2AM/1AM is a bit late to catch Bank Holiday, but Merle also shows up in Night Must Fall (1937) on Wednesday, June 8, in a film starring Robert Montgomery and Rosalind Russell.

d21a0afa-4108-42c2-992e-e04be93cdd8e_zps

• Like 1

This time it's spacecraft not a person.  In "2010" the Russian spacecraft the Leonov shares....

...an uncanny resemblance to the Omega class destroyers in "Babylon 5".

That resemblance (at least of the revolving centrifuge section) was apparently confirmed on the B5 wikia.

http://babylon5.wikia.com/wiki/Omega_class_destroyer

• Like 1

I've read Christopher Meloni may be returning to "Law and Order SVU".  It's not the same without him.

When posting photos, don't attach non photo extensions (i.e. the .htm ) move mouse over image and Copy then paste after clicking the image icon.

TCM won't accept some protected or embedded photos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...