Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

@Foley_Grail 

I wanted to comment on 1776. Until your lecture I did not know about the deleted scene. I have a pre Nixon death video tape. I watched the uncut version today and there are several differences . 1 is in the scene where Blythe Danner greets Adams and Franklin, one is when Adams gets in to a verbal name calling (slightly different dialogue. )Another is when Jefferson is listening at the door (minimal difference) and of course the cool collected scene. You might say I know the original version quite well. Interesting to notice the changeshttp://shop.tcm.com/index.php?v=tcm_media_brand_tcm-vault&ecid=PRF-TCM-100588&pa=PRF-TCM-100588

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Chuck V. said:

I still haven't gotten around to seeing this one yet, so I can't comment on the film's aesthetic qualities, but I just wanted to say that it was quite a timely choice for the final video lecture.

The video lecture inspired me to see 1776 again (it's been a long while). I found it in my local library system and I hope it shows up in the next week. I wouldn't mind taking up Dr. Ament's suggestion and seeing it for the Fourth.

• Like 2

1776 is one of my favorite musicals.  I have been watching it since i was a kid and my Dad was a big fan of Musicals so he definitely taught me everything I know.  He knew a lot about the history of this film as well.  It was many years that we watched the cut version of the film even though on the back of the prerecorded beta  and VHS tapes had a photo from the "Cool Men" number.  Anyway when it came out on Laser disc it was the first time that included all of the additional material.  Jack Warner had ordered all of the cut material to be destroyed and we are so fortunate that the person that was given the film to destroy put it aside and kept it for all of those years.  I was hoping they would touch on that in the talk about 1776 as well.  If you have not seen it definitely check it out!

I'm in luck: The DVD for 1776 is waiting for me at my local library and I plan to pick it up tomorrow and watch it this week in celebration of the Fourth of July. It's been a long time since I have seen it and I am looking forward to it.

I was glad that the film was suggested, as I have never seen it (or a stage version) and always considered the Founding Fathers dancing around and singing to be a little silly.  My previous thoughts were not entirely dispelled; however, I did find the musical educational and generally compelling. Some of what seemed "silly" to me had to do with it being a 1970's film as much as the actual content.  William Daniels looked about 2' high next to Ken Howard!

• Haha 1

As a history geek especially concerning the American Revolution and our Founding Father’s I absolutely love this musical though I do always cringe at the discrepancies. Most notably that gigantic page a day wall calendar and the big July 4 when it was July 2 that Congress decided to declare independence and it wasn’t actually till August 2 that the vast majority of members signed the Declaration. July 4 was the date the final wording was approved and officially adopted by Congress but who can complain much the musical is fantastic in so many other ways.

As pointed out, I love how the musical advances from a rowdy free-for-all to the profound historic event it was. The last shot morphing into the unfinished painting by Robert Edge Pine, “Congress Voting Independence,” and the Liberty Bell ringing is very stirring to me.

Fun Fact: The fountain Franklin, Adams and Richard Henry Lee cavort around in, “The Lees of Old Virginia” number is the same fountain seen in the opening credits of the 90s TV show, “Friends.”

• Like 2