Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

>hlywdkjk wrote: That's not censorship. And I find it intellectually dishonest to paint it that way.

 

Really?

 

Well, let me paint you a picture you might comprehend.

 

The Fairness Doctrine was originally intended for the air waves to be open to all views.

 

What in fact really happened was that AM radio turned into a bland outlet and very little, if any, controversial issues were aired. In fact, AM radio was nearly dead in the mid eighties.

 

Then, a pioneer called Rush Limbaugh started a conservative talk show with very little starting audience or money and has made it to be the most dynamic conservative talk show on AM radio. He was freed from the Liberal Media's domination because of Ronald Reagan's not requiring The Fairness Doctrine.

 

Others, like Michael Savage, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham and Mark Levin have also made great strides on conservative talk radio.

 

Al Frankin, of Air America, was a dismal flop and, in fact, had to file for bankruptcy. Al and Air America could not make it in the market place and still to this day have plenty of opportunities on AM radio to get their message across. The people don't to hear the liberal message, though.

 

The Fairness Doctrine was revived when the Reform Immigration bill was shot down by conservative talk show hosts all across this country.

 

The Left, in typical fashion, screamed the people need more views.

 

And instead of winning in the market place, the Left wants to rig the game so it can win.

 

Who forces anyone to listen to AM Radio?

 

Don't you think the people are smart enough to make their own decisions and if they wanted Liberal views on Radio, they would listen to it?

 

Nope, it's Democrat Quotas again which bring unnecessary hardship on radio stations and create a form of censorship. What's next?

 

The Fairness Doctrine has been dead since 1991 and was only suggested it be revived by Senator Durbin who just happens to be a Liberal Democrat who wants to squash Rush and his friends.

 

In fact, the FCC, recently, made the decision that no Fairness Doctrine would be imposed because there are now satellite and Internet communications and there is still AM Radio. The public just does not want to listen to liberal radio.

 

There are plenty of outlets for liberal views.

 

I guess I believe in the ability of the people to make their own choices and not have some government imposed quota system you seem to prefer.

 

I am just being honest...

 

Can you really say the same?

 

Message was edited by: JakeHolman

Link to post
Share on other sites

>mickeeteeze wrote: "Life is not fair..."

 

You know who said that?

 

None other than John F Kennedy.

 

>and wrote: "We need to bring back sweatshops, child labor, high infant mortality, and can SS, too. People can't produce? TOO BAD"

 

There you go again with Liberal hyperbole...

 

Conservatives are not for the above...

 

But, what they do believe is our people must be freed to create and keep the fruits of their labors without the manacle of government keeping them enslaved.

 

Nor, do they believe the people are sheep who can't reason and make their own decisions.

 

They think too highly of man and society and believe government is best that governs least and let's the people have a free and open exchange of ideas and commerce.

Link to post
Share on other sites

and wrote: "We need to bring back sweatshops, child labor, high infant mortality, and can SS, too. People can't produce? TOO BAD"

 

There you go again with Liberal hyperbole...

 

Conservatives are not for the above...

 

But, what they do believe is our people must be freed to create and keep the fruits of their labors without the manacle of government keeping them enslaved.

 

Nor, do they believe the people are sheep who can't reason and make their own decisions.

 

They think too highly of man and society and believe government is best that governs least and let's the people have a free and open exchange of ideas and commerce.

 

Conservatives are for maintaining the [/i]status quo[/i] (the very definition of "reactionary"), especially if it serves their interests. Hence, sweatshops and child labor are just "part of life," which "market forces" will take care of when, and if, it sees fit. Such a nice, placid view of the universe.

 

One can easily substitute "god" for "market forces" in the above, helping to make the argument that to conservatives, serving god and mammon, or making god and mammon interchangeable, is at the core of their most deeply-cherished beliefs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=CineSage_jr wrote:}{quote}

> and wrote: "We need to bring back sweatshops, child labor, high infant mortality, and can SS, too. People can't produce? TOO BAD"

>

> There you go again with Liberal hyperbole...

>

> Conservatives are not for the above...

>

> But, what they do believe is our people must be freed to create and keep the fruits of their labors without the manacle of government keeping them enslaved.

>

> Nor, do they believe the people are sheep who can't reason and make their own decisions.

>

> They think too highly of man and society and believe government is best that governs least and let's the people have a free and open exchange of ideas and commerce.

>

> Conservatives are for maintaining the [/i]status quo[/i] (the very definition of "reactionary"), especially if it serves their interests. Hence, sweatshops and child labor are just "part of life," which "market forces" will take care of when, and if, it sees fit. Such a nice, placid view of the universe.

>

> One can easily substitute "god" for "market forces" in the above, helping to make the argument that to conservatives, serving god and mammon, or making god and mammon interchangeable, is at the core of their most deeply-cherished beliefs.

 

Well said. Nothing like god and market forces to keep people in their place. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Link to post
Share on other sites

"There you go again with Liberal hyperbole...

 

Conservatives are not for the above..."

 

Thats exactly what you're for.

Far right economics brought us to just that 100 years ago.

You run around this board baiting people with your political slime since the day you came here. I wouldn't even be surprised if your one of those 'paid posters from AOL.

"Socialism=Oppression." You been screaming it from a mountaintop like some kind of "Rushbot" since you came here.

Do you know why there is so much govt regulation of business? Because your greedy heroes have proved time and time again that their only loyalty is to a buck. They don't give a crap about you, me, the church, or this country, Captain Patriotism.

Their first "religion" is the dollar.

Right now it suits them to beholden a "religious right", be Republican. Would you believe they were "secular progressive" Democrats when they stole Federal Reserve?

You talk about sheep. Obviously you don't have any mirrors at home.

Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, Jake. I'm like this. Far left economics=bad. Far right economics=bad.

You far righties have privatized the military, and it wouldn't be long before you privatized police forces.

Out of the question? Absolutely not, it logically follows.

In fact, a government legal system as a whole is a left-wing tenet actually, isn't it?

Just like I can admit Unions are a psuedo communist entity, and I'm a proud member.

There is no such thing as a good far-right, not even the ones that believe in God. I can give you 19 examples of that without blinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please excuse me if I interrupt the usual political bickering (I may join in later), to ask a question for anyone who might have knowledge. I was just reading a bit on Arthur Miller which described him as blacklisted (though I have no idea what criteria they used for that term). He certainly wasn't HUAC's favorite writer and was cited for contempt of Congress in 1957 for refusing to name names. In fact, the first filmed version of *The Crucible* was a French film with Simone Signoret and Yves Montand that was made in East Germany (screenplay by Jean-Paul Sartre).

My question is this: Since Miller was married to Marilyn at the time, wasn't her career affected by being married to a supposed red? I don't recall ever hearing anything in regard to this.

Considering Marilyn's alleged involvement with the Kennedys, you'd think this stuff would be great fodder for conspiracy theorists.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, let's see...a quiet Sunday afternoon... I could either read War and Peace, or settle in here with Son of Left, Right, Left. I suppose The Trashiest Movies of All Time thread might be longer at eleven pages, but that's not taking into account the original Thing; Son of the Thing; Right,Left, Right; Son of. etc.

Yeah, I know it's self-delusion. I probably just want to read this to get my blood pressure up, get that adrenaline feel right before I keel over.

Thanks, mickee, I still blame you, lol. :)

Peace

Link to post
Share on other sites

Silly me , I was under the impression that "godless" was a standard adjective used in any description of a "villain". ( I remember a conversation with an Irishman in the Boston area who described the English as "Godless Protestants". He was quite rabid on the subject of Irish history, so I used discretion and avoided pointing out the questionable logic of his statement...)

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is interesting. I've been wanting to see it...not for vilifying communists. I'm not for vilifying the left...but made this thread (knowing it would likely attract some hot-headed discussion) for the sake of talking politics in classic movies...and to say that TCM is helping me get a better view on how things

were....not quite the apple pie and sunshine I had (subconsciously) expected.

 

This Indiana Jones sounds interesting because of the folklore, danger and customs of distant lands. Where does it take place?

 

BTW...though it vilifies communists...does it not equally vilify others?

 

I believe in the doctrine of total depravity...that we are born with it...every one of us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed that anecdote, Old Packard. Being Scotch-Irish, I'm pretty sure neither side claims me. And for every Irish Catholic talking about the Godless Protestants, I'm sure there's an Irish Protestant talking about the Godless Catholics. And both sides, of course, will speak about Godless Islam or the heathen Chinee.

For a thread really to flame, someone should start one on religion, but I do feel politics is flaming enough.

Btw, from your username, I presume you're into old cars? I'm not, my brother is, as was an old girl friend of mine. But one of the things I really enjoy about watching old movies is seeing the older automobiles then in use, as opposed to the restored vehicles in historical pieces.

Shaneequa, I suspect we have our differences, but from what you've written, I suspect we also have some similarities. Don't know if you were aware of it when you first posted, but there was already a political thread (or two or three) going at that time. I'm relatively new to the boards, so for all I know this sort of discussion has been going on for years, although some do feel it doesn't belong on a classic movie message board. I grew to feel anything and everything anyone wants to discuss is appropriate here, and if others don't want to read it, they don't have to. I, for instance, stay away from politics when I feel my blood pressure getting too high.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Thanks, mickee, I still blame you, lol. :)

Peace"

 

Haha. LOL. :-).

Man, believe it or not, I try like heck to avoid these threads too. It's why I started that "Left, Right, Left" thing a while back. Kind of like "trenching" a brush fire, figured I'd contain it. Looks like you and OP are entertained anyway, and thats a good thing. I just have a tough time listening to "talking points" either way, especially when they drag God into it, and try to justify bad behavior on a supreme being. Makes me sick to my stomach. Blood boil, like you say.

I love the insinuation that if you are not a hard right Republican, you can't be religious. The arrogance of these people.

Sorry for the rant. In my day to day life, I actually tend to avoid politics and religion as casual subject matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaneequa...regarding the new Indiana Jones film...it starts out in Roswell. And since that is a "loaded" description for a movie location, I won't go much further than that for those who want to see the film. The story finally ends up in Peru. As Indie films go--for me it was a big disappointment. But others may disagree. The traditional Indiana Jones themes are all there and Harrison Ford is... after all...Harrison Ford. But I did not enjoy the story--because for me it was even further OUT THERE than the other 3 films by far. They had almost 20 years to do this movie and they could have come up with something better for my money---But I digress. The "commies" are the bad guys...but their political philosophy is no more a guiding factor in the film than the Nazi's were in Raiders or Last Crusade. There had to be a bad guy and since the movie was set in the time frame where there was a Russian hiding around every corner--the commies are the "flavor of the day" so to speak.

 

And with regarding to your parting comment...(and I DO intend to stay out of any arguments it may stir up in others) I whole-heartedly agree about the total depravity of man. Even if you disregard Calvin OR the Bible--all you have to do is spend an afternoon in a room full of 3 year olds to figure out how rotten we can really be if left to our own devices.

 

A pleasant evening to you all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're welcome OP. Bottom line is it must be entertaining for me as well, else I wouldn't be doing it, right?

On an entirely different note, saw "Asphalt Jungle" for the first time today. Wow. Whatta movie. I can't believe I actually let that one sift through the cracks all of these years. Fantastic film.

Peace.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=mickeeteeze wrote:}{quote}

> On an entirely different note, saw "Asphalt Jungle" for the first time today. Wow. Whatta movie. I can't believe I actually let that one sift through the cracks all of these years. Fantastic film.

 

I love it; it's one of my very favorite in film noir. The characters are all so rich. Glad you finally had the chance to see it. It's so wonderful discovering an old gem like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...