Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"LOVE ME TONIGHT" ON DVD

feaito

One of my many weaknesses...are early 30s Paramount Chevalier films. I just got the Kino DVD release of "Love Me Tonight"...and obviously it's the 89 minutes version...the longer version seems to be lost forever, according to the Book " Sin in Soft Focus/Pre-Code Hollywood"...by Mark Vieira (very good book), so, sadly enough they missing scenes will be lost forever (from our "watching eyes"), because of re-release of the film during the "reign" of the Production Code.

The Supplemental features listed include:

- Maurice Chevalier sings "Louise"

- Jeanette MacDonald sings Love Me Tpnight (from the Paramount newsreel series HOLLYWOOD ON PARADE)

- Audio Commentary and Booklet Essay by Miles Kreuger (Founder and President of the Institute of the American Musical Inc.)

- Original Theatrical Trailer

- Screenplay excerpts of deleted scenes

- Production Documents and Censorship records

- Galleries of Photos and Promotional Material...

I bought it directly from Kino...and got a very good promotional price...Haven't seen a bit of the dvd...but for me it seems a pretty complete edition..

I'll give my opinion after watching the quality of the copy of the movie and its extras...

Well, dear friends of the boards...I'm speechless, happy, feel so well, I've just ended watching the Kino DVD edition of "Love Me Tonight" in its entirety....and it's worth every dollar it costs!!!!....The movie itself, in its 89 minutes version....is gorgeous, marvelous, grandiose, great, there are no adjectives enough to praise this "piece of art" by the great Rouben Mamoulian. I must say that I think it is one of the greatest musicals ever made- in-all-time-, without "Love Me Tonight", we wouldn't have, "The Harvey Girls", "Gigi", "My Fair Lady", et al.....it's just landmark!!!!.

I liked this film, even more than "The Smiling Lieutenant" (1931)-Lubitsch, "Trouble in Paradise" (1932)-Lubistch and "The Merry Widow" (1934)-Lubitsch...all GEMS ANYWAY....but this (Love Me Tonight) is the royal/imperial Jewel of them all...Chevalier and MacDonald are sooo greaaat....Myrna Loy in the few scenes she has is just so sexy, flirtatious, full of life!!! and the film's still full of double-entendres!! This Jeanette has nothing to do with the Jeanette of the MGM films with Nelson Eddy (which I also love and are absolutely great too, but in another more old-fashioned way...being the masterpiece, the glorious "Maytime")

Here, Jeanette's fresh, sexy, vivacious, tongue-in-cheek....Charles Butterworth, Elizabeth Patterson, Charlie Ruggles, Blanche Frederici....uniformly a greaaat and unique cast!!! Paramount's early thirties sophistication at its top!!!

The quality of the picture is excellent....better than the Criterion release of "Trouble in Paradise", filmed the same year,,,it is sharp, looks like new!! I don't know how they did it!! Myrna Loy looks ravishing.. Jeanette as well, especially in the dance sequence and at the balcony...

Chevalier was 44 when the picture was made and he looks so much younger!!!!....

The numbers are awesome!!: "Lover", "Isn't It Romantic", "Mimi", "The Apache Number", "Love Me Tonight"...etc

The bonuses are splendid, the audio commentary is precise, the Censorship data so detailed and accurate, form the 1932 release and for the 1949 re-release under the Production Code.

I urge you early Pre-code talkies and musical fans... This DVD belongs to your collection.

Universal Pictures ...please continue lending these early Paramount gems of all kind, to Kino, Criterion, et al etc...for release...please!!!!!

We want more!!!: "Monte Carlo" (1930), "One Hour With You" (1932), "The Love Parade" (1929), "Design for Living" (1933), "The Story of Temple Drake" (1933), "Peter Ibbetson" (1935), "Hot Saturday" (1932), "The Smiling Lieutenant" (1931), "The Big Pond" (1930), "The Sign of the Cross" (1932).....we are anxious!!!!

feaito, there are still so many rare films to see!! I wish TCM would show them (and maybe also have studios release them on dvd), because you never know how good a film is until you see it. I get to watch them on TCM for free (and tape them too). Some of these rare films might turn out to be not that good, not worth buying. Some titles like LOVE ME TONIGHT turn out to be magical. I've seen some very rare titles listed on ebay, but you never know how good the bootleg quality is AND they aren't free. I was wondering, are your videos in PAL format or the U.S. format (whatever you call that)? What about your DVDs?

Catcarson...I have both PAL (because of the french chanteuse and show-woman Myl?ne Farmer, that's another story) and NTSC dvd discs, since I have a new multizone dvd equipment, that converts PAL to NTSC, it works with my regular NTSC TV set (my country is just the same as USA: NTSC, although a different "zone"). I also have another DVD equipment from 1999, which reads NTSC zones 1 and 4...and also reads PAL, BUT does "Not converts Norm", let's say for this one you need a multizone TV set....but, the majority of my dvd's are either NTSC zone 1 (USA) or NTSC zone 4 (Latin America and Asia: Japan, China, etc...)....Love Me Tonight is NTSC zone 1....released absolutely for the north american market.....

• 3 weeks later...

Love Me Tonight is on DVD! Oh my goodness. I had always wanted to see this movie, and I got my chance when they showed it in New York City a year ago at some theater. But since then, I've wanted to watch it again. Thanks for that news!

• 1 month later...

Just the other night I watched Kino's release of "Love Me Tonight," and I completely agree with feaito that this film and DVD release are ABSOLUTELY SUPERB.

I've never been a big fan of Jeanette MacDonald, but she's like a whole different person in this movie! She's young and sexy, like you've never seen her before. And Chevalier is his usually charming self. The music by Rodgers and Hart can't be beat with standards like "Lover" and "Isn't It Romantic" in the film. And I can't get over the production values! Everything is so over the top in it's scope and quality. This really was a landmark movie as feaito says, and WELL WORTH seeing. I saw it through Netflix, which is a great resource of classic DVD's for us fans.

Rouben Mamoulian was a director ahead of his time. He is a total artist - at first I thought this movie was directed by Lubitsch, and I was surprised to see that someone else directed it. But I have to say, Mamoulian puts Lubitsch to shame! Lubitsch was ahead of his time and a master at creating these lush romantic comedies of the early 30's, but Mamoulian just goes a step further - the film is so well done that all I can say is you have to see it to experience an early 30's movie at its very best. And the way he makes the musical numbers fit into the story - it's so well structured - better than many musicals made years later.

And I also have to chime in on the picture quality - it is sharp and clear like it was filmed yesterday! I couldn't get over it. This release by Kino puts anything done by Criterion to shame. I was disappointed in their release of "Trouble in Paradise" since it's on the grainy side. But "Love Me Tonight" is amazing! All of you should try and see this great movie!

McDonald's image was completely changed (and not for the better) when she left Paramount and I much prefer her in these earlier films which were all pre-code, to the mostly sappy ones for MGM. The only exception is "The Merry Widow" which is on par with the films she made at Paramount.

I have to agree that "The Merry Widow" WAS excellent, and definitely just as good as the early Paramount gems. I think the re-pairing of MacDonald and Chevalier for that film has a lot to do with it. They made a great screen couple - I think she was much better with him than with Nelson Eddy, who, aside from his singing abilities was pretty boring otherwise. TCM should lease all of these early 30's Paramount classics and have a festival of them. Despite their age, a lot of the content of these films is still fresh today.

Since TCM has started running films from the Paramount library, hopefully they will screen some of MacDonald's earlier films. I always felt Nelson Eddy was pretty wooden as a actor, although the two stars generated a lot of chemistry. I never thought MacDonald was too fond of Eddy, but I recently read she was madly in love with him, go figure.

Yeah...much has been said about the Eddy-MacDonald feud/love relation, etc...Who knows the truth? Anyway, I agree with all of you that the films MacDonald made at Paramount, especially those directed by Lubitsch (& Cukor, one of them) and the one by Mamoulian (object of this thread), were the best!!! especially her paring with Chevalier...although I've read she was wonderful also, opposite Jack Buchanan in Lubitsch's "Monte Carlo" and very good in 1929 Ludwig Berger's "The Vagabond King", opposite Dennis King. She made also some good early pre-code risqu? comedies, at Paramount and Fox...like "Annabelle's Affairs" (lost film?) with Victor McLaglen, "Let's Go Native", etc.

"Lottery Bride" (1930), I've read isn't good. But all her early Paramounts deserve to be aired...the rights belong to Universal pictures?...

Also, as I wrote in another thread, it would be a delight to watch the simultaneously-shot-Hollywood french versions of One Hour With You and The Merry Widow...and all of the french versions of Chevalier's films at Paramount: Smiling Lieutenant, Playboy of Paris, The Big Pond...etc.

I bought both the Videosn of The Merry Widow and The Cat and the Fiddle (not released on dvd), both MGM pictures, before the pairing of Jeanette and Nelson...and they're great!, especially The Merry Widow, of which I read there's a longer (with more minutes of censored material for its re-relase, which were "rescued" from oblivion) existing copy in the vaults of TCM...has it been aired? The music, the plot, the cast, everything is top-notch.

As for The Cat and the Fiddle...Ramon Novarro is very good as Jeanette's lover...and the film is very well done indeed..I recommend it completely.

As for Jeanette-Nelson pairings.....undoubtedly there's some kitsch appeal about their films, "Schmaltzy" as some say...but that's no denying of their charisma..especially Jeanette's and the supporting casts...although I have to say that Nelson Eddy is not THAT terribly wooden, as it's been said...I enjoyed his pairing with Eleanor Powell in Rosalie, for example....and John Boles and Robert Taylor (the latter, early in his career) were pretty wooden, and anyway starred in (in the whole) excellent films....

The greatest Jeanette-Nelson film is, no doubt, "Maytime"...call it sentimental..... but I love it....in spite that I prefer her Paramount films....I still, love Jeanette in her MGM ones...with Nelson, Allan Jone, Gene Raymond, Clark Gable et al...even with Lassie!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hi

where can I go to buy/rent/loan "the big pond" or any other movies from the 1930 Paramount? or any other material like lobby cards, posters, sound songs etc

I am a visual artist working on a piece about 1930 Paramount Movies

Please i really need help

Thank you

Best

Elena Bajo

elena@elenabajo.com

hi

where can I go to buy/rent/loan "the big pond" or any other movies from the 1930 Paramount? or any other material like lobby cards, posters, sound songs etc

I am a visual artist working on a piece about 1930 Paramount Movies

Please i really need help

Thank you

Best

Elena Bajo

elena@elenabajo.com

Elena, I've read that you can rent at Netflix 1930's Paramounts, released on dvd like "Love Me Tonight", "Trouble In Paradise", "Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde", "Scarlet Empress", etc. You can also purchase them at Amazon.com and Amazon marketaplece sellers/Z Shops; at Movies Unlimited too. There are also many Paramounts on VHS (Supernatural, Island of Lost Souls, Death Takes a Holiday, Midnight, many Marlene Dietrich vehicles, etc..)...And many of them are being scheduled by TCM, like "The Smiling Lieutenant", "Love Me Tonight".

For fabulous stills of Paramount's early films, there's the Dover edition of "The Astoria Studios and its Fabulous Films" by Richard Koszarski.

There is also a book called "The Paramount Story" by John Douglas Ames, which covers all of the classic Paramounts & more, with stills and info; and "Mountain fo Dreams- The Golden Years of Paramount Pictures" by Leslie Halliwell, is full of B&W posters, of all kinds an sizes.

Ahhh "The Paramount Pretties" by James Robert Parish, has many small pictures of films of many of Paramount's most famous female stars: Claudette Colbert, Gloria Swanson, Clara Bow, etc.

Another good source is "Sin in Soft Focus/Pre-Code Hollywood" by Mark A. Vieira, great photographs.

Hope this helps you.

Archived