Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most Interesting Thing You Learned From This Course?

I'm very curious to hear one thing you learned about musicals that you didn't know before.  For me, I think the Pre-Code era was very interesting.  

I've sure enjoyed watching all the musicals from different decades and seeing the progression they made.  I had never seen Guys and Dolls before.....loved it!

Hard to pick just one! I thought the "war prep, during the war, and post-war" discussion of the 1940s was fascinating.  So was discussion on race with  Cabin in the Sky and Showboat.  I like how each week our instructors really drove home the point that film is a reflection of the period in which it is made regardless of the period of the film story. That brought a strong cultural/historical view to each discussion and broadened the scope of film watching.  

I'm a behind the scenes geek.  One thing I had never heard before was Cary Grant being tagged to play Henry Higgins....what a riot.  Love Cary...but I just don't see it.

Being exposed to talent I hadn't know much about: Michael Kidd, Doug Shearer, Etta Moten in Goldiggers 1933, singing Remember My Forgotten Man. Realizing that Bye Bye Birdie would have been nothing without Ann-Margret. Reading some great comments by fellow students, which made me think of things in other ways.

45 minutes ago, pbm said:

I'm a behind the scenes geek.  One thing I had never heard before was Cary Grant being tagged to play Henry Higgins....what a riot.  Love Cary...but I just don't see it.

Cary Grant couldn’t see it either....he told they should get Rex Harrison!

btw. Harrison did a MFL tour in early 80’s with Cheryl Kennedy as Eliza. Cathleen Nesbit, who originated the role of Henry’s mother on Broadway and in the film, was also in the cast! Rex made sure everyone knew that in his curtain speech. She was, or close to 90. Died in Aug of 1982.

1 hour ago, Suzy-Q said:

Being exposed to talent I hadn't know much about: Michael Kidd, Doug Shearer, Etta Moten in Goldiggers 1933, singing Remember My Forgotten Man. Realizing that Bye Bye Birdie would have been nothing without Ann-Margret. Reading some great comments by fellow students, which made me think of things in other ways.

There was a made-for-TV version of Bye Bye Birdie in 1995 that adheres much more to the original stage production. My beef with the Ann Margaret version is that it stops midway through the story, ending at the close of Act 1 when Hugo decks Birdie. The '95 version stars Jason Alexander and Vanessa Williams, and they do the whole show.

Oh, and Jason Alexander does a wonderful job selling a dance.

It may not be the single most interesting thing I've come away with from taking this course, but it's certainly something that's surprised me. 

I'm astounded at the myriad of opinions on not only what constitutes a musical but the choices of films that so many consider musicals.

Goes to show that we can all learn a thing or three about each other and about a subject by exchanging and discussing ideas and thoughts. 

No. I take back what I wrote in my first sentence. It IS the single most interesting thing I've come away with from taking this course and participating in these forum discussions on it. :)