Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
irishqueen

Guest Host Bill Maher

*I attended a Halloween party in 1999 and a fellow showed up wet and covered with seaweed. I asked what was he supposed to be and he replied, "John Kennedy, Jr.".* - PrinceSaliano.... Sounds like the " Boston Harvard alumni" who once said to me "*While you were in Vietnam putting your buddies in body bags, I was getting laid burning my draft card at peace rallies."* The sort best described as the perfect poster child for planned parenthood.... "See What *YOU* May Inflect On The World If You Let Accidents Happen."

Yup. That will be the only night in years that I won't at least check out to see what's on TCM.

Izcutter...I purposely did not watch Bill Maher's night.

I hope he was polite to R.O. and I do not know what political, if any, snipes he took,

I agree with whomever the Guest Programmer is, the moral baggage is left behind. I just didn't trust him not to throw shots at what is my husband's life...his dedication...and to oathes he has taken,

Again...I will not watch Sally Field for the same reasons. My choice...Her Emmy speech had nothing to do with her art and I suspect the same cheap shots on her GP night as I did with Mr. Maher.

It does seem "odd" to me that both GPs in a row spew anti-war diatribe.

It would be nice if for the next 4 months the GP was one of character and realized how lucky they are to sit in front of RO. Some one whose passionate political beliefs do mix with their art.I would like to watch movies again.

so I am replying to your message in hopes of future GPs that want to concentrate on their art for an evening.

I beleive that this the next four months

>Ellaisgood wrote: I hope he was polite to R.O. and I do not know what political, if any, snipes he took,

>I agree with whomever the Guest Programmer is, the moral baggage is left behind. I just didn't trust him not to throw shots at what is my husband's life...his dedication...and to oathes he has taken.

I am assuming you are the wife of a military man who is serving in Iraq or has served?

I salute you and your husband and give homage to you.

You and his service to protect this wonderful nation is something I, and a lot of others. truly appreciate.

I only saw his intro to My Fair Lady and it wasn't anything controversial unless you consider the fact that he said that it's the only musical he liked. He also admired the Henry Higgins character because he was basically a curmudgeon and that it was a part he thought he'd like to play if he was an actor. I don't remember the other films except Where the Boys Are, but what could he possibly say that would be controversial about that movie? But I didn't watch any of the rest of the comments because I forgot he was on (I suffer from CRS sometimes.) I was watching something on PBS that night. I won't say what because it would offend some.

Your recollections, 'helenbaby' are spot on. Bill Maher didn't say anything controversial or disrespectful.

I said it before and I'll say it again - The Guest Programmers come on TCM respectful of the opportunity they have been given and serious about the film choices they made. At least there is no evidence of discussions that depart from that atmosphere. If it happened, I am sure TCM could and would easily edit out those remarks. The "series" isn't a platform for advocacy and won't be used that way.

Kyle In Hollywood

lzcutter...I purposely did not watch Bill Maher's night.

I hope he was polite to R.O. and I do not know what political, if any, snipes he took,>>

Ella,

He took no political swipes. He was, like other guest programmers, respectful of the channel, of the opportunity and to Robert O.

*The Oscar* was a great bad film and I thank him for choosing it as I enjoyed it very much.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> ...*The Oscar* was a great bad film and I thank him for choosing it as I enjoyed it very much.

Agreed. The end was especially hilarious!

"I'm OK with Bill Maher as a guest host, although I didn't see him. I would object, however, to conservatives like Sean Hannity or Cal Thomas. They undoubtedly would make bland selections or demand censorship. Screw 'em. Yes, I'm partisan. So what? Conservatives have no place in the world of art and cinema is art. They can watch NASCAR or Trinity Broadcasting or Fox News. Stay away from TCM."

I had to pop out of lurker mode for this one. I have a university degree in history and participated in oral history projects involving individuals who would have been adults in the 1920s to the 1940s.

Some questions they are asked about in interviews are their favorite films and actors of their early adulthood as well as other perceptions of their past. Based on almost all the answers, you would find many to be as conservative (some in the past or some now and in the past) as many modern day conservatives you bulked together in your comment. In addition, these people are the individuals these films were originally created for and they obviously were a viable audience.

Older generations aside, your comment was ridiculous.

Anyway, most threads get off on to things like this because of board trolls. It's best not to feed their hunger. I'm back to reading about classic film.

Message was edited by: traditionalgal

Message was edited by: traditionalgal

>Older generations aside, your comment was ridiculous.

Ditto...

Prince,

I should have clarified a point. It was not on any TCM related venue that there was any anti-war speech making.

My point was that both BM (ha-ha) and Fields have IN THE PAST clearly verbalized their own political views. BM has a show that has been mentioned below and he has the RIGHT and the Privilege (thanks to certain people who protect this right) to say what he wants.

Fields used her "celebrity" to vent anti-war sentiments at an awards ceremony....also her Right and Privilege. Although tacky and unfortunate to awaiting actors on a special night produced for their art acheivement...she most certainly could say her beliefs.

I was glad to hear that the forum of GP resists this and celebrates these performers and their choice of movies. Even if they sat silent and chose all movies that I may find out of TCM's realm of decorum, too stinking bad for me. Although I am sure RO would have classed the session up.

Do I think that now to get even we should have GP's that are prone to ultra concervatism? Gosh no...how boring either way.

For the next 4 months...I was trying to explain that the GP's just delight in their art. Have you ever heard that you never get a second chance at a first impression? Most Hollywood has views that are not like mine...who cares? The world will go on. But sorry...I'm human. If GP Smith for example, has just over to some country telling a despot that he's a great man...you could not get me to turn on TCM even if RO promises to do the show nude. I don't care what movies the "we only care about movies forum" he's chosen.

TCM is all I watch...no news, no crazy debates. I just made a suggestion for TCM to do what they do best...stick with the making and love of movies and perhaps try to choose an artist,,,athelete...comedian etc that will enlighten us about their love of acting.

Tacey Ullman, Tim Roth, Trebek...etc I actually learned from them.

If you look at the original post that began this thread, you will see it was a thinly-veiled attack. Now why would someone be opposed to Bill Maher as a guest host? Because he is anti-Bush? Perhaps the original poster should explain what her intentions were when she started this thread. I joined the fray to object to her objection. Quite honestly, I very rarely watch the guest hosts (I didn't see Maher) because I very rarely watch TCM during those hours. I prefer B-movies; pre-codes and TCM Underground...fare which is generally not represented by any guest host, left or right.

How do you know it was woman who started the thread?

Prince,Prince,Prince

Just kidding! I actually took a week away from the boards to get my thoughts together. When I bartended years ago, my Professor of Mixology (I know your jealous of my training) said never engage or avoid if asked questions about 1, marriage 2. money 3. politics

I am literally and figuratively surrounded with and by politics 24/7.

I started to watch tcm and then use the message boards because of it.

I went back to look at Ellaisgood's previous post about being upset about the anti war sentiments expressed by Maher & Fields. Your husband is doing his duty as well he should, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with being against war of any kind. Maher disagrees with Bush, not the soldiers fighting the war and if you perceived otherwise you'd be wrong. Fields is a mother and I understood her sentiments too even if she picked the wrong venue to announce it. I don't think anybody is FOR war--our country's been through too much and we're always depended upon to clean up other's messes. I have plenty of conservatives in my extended family; we just don't discuss it anymore. We don't hold it against each other. It just breaks my heart that these poor kids (and not so young kids) have to go to that hell. So I'll jump off my soapbox now.

wow...I had no idea that it has been since July since the last posting.

Helenbaby...totally appreciate your comments. You are right. I have learned how to use the remote and the swirly thing on my computer much better since then. I avoid political threads or shots at my beliefs in a thread like the plague now.

TCM is my get-a-way place thats all.

I also have family that are left-left. Like not even talking to my husband last Christmas after he'd returned from Iraq a month before. Now perhaps, a year later, I think it was their way of not discussing it....as you said your family does. Maybe it was their own way of "keeping the peace". Although I wish some sort of casual conversation could have been elicited from them...they probably knew something would eventually lead to a possibly horrible reuinion if they spoke. One's own beliefs, if strong enough, can break hearts. They my not have been cordial...but no hearts were broken that night.

Nothing on these boards, from now on, will I take personally. It's just not the direction I want to go in in my life.