Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Rafter Romance" disappointing

Bronxgirl48

This had such potential to be charming, but unfortunately I found an early Ginger Rogers to be tentative and even stiff, and Norman Foster totally unmemorable.

Please chime in on its pros and cons.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

I didn't know they made another film together. I don't find Foster particularly engaging. I think Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. would have made a better partner for her in RAFTER ROMANCE.

I recently got in YOUNG MAN OF MANHATTAN, a 1930 Paramount with Claudette Colbert and Norman Foster (husband and wife at the time). Ginger has a great role in this one (her feature film debut), where her favorite line is "Cigarette me, big boy". She also gets to sing "IVE GOT IT, BUT IT DON'T DO ME NO GOOD". Great pre-code.

Ginger was just so terrific in STAGE DOOR, tough and scrappy and sarcastic, but oh so vulnerable underneath.

Like Ginger, I love sour cream and am going to make that salad of hers!

Rafter Romance has become a serious favorite of mine since is came out in the Lost and Found Series. I've watched it so many times I almost have it memorized , uh...not that it would take much.

Who can resist Laura Hope Crews character? "What, Elise Peabody Worthington Smythe drink from the bottle?" and "I loathe landlords." Her role is the best in the story! I also love the Eckbaums, the landlord's family and all his arranging. Okay, so it's not GWTW. But, then, I don't like GWTW.

I adore Ginger in her younger roles - check out 5th Avenue Girl for some more laughs.

Birdy

Archived