Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mndean4709

Exactly how many precodes were removed from the original June schedule?

And, better still, why? This is ridiculous, not only were a lot of Glenda Farrell precodes removed from the June schedule, but also some Myrna Loy precodes as well. And for what, to run frequently-shown films like The Tender Trap AGAIN?

Message was edited by: mndean4709

I don't know the number of pre-code films set to air on the June schedule originally. I do know that June 30 would have been a tribute to Glenda Farrell for her birthday and the following titles were removed:

Bureau Of Missing Persons (1933)

Girl Missing (1933)

Grand Slam (1933)

A Man's Castle (1933)

Dark Hazard (1934)

I've Got Your Number (1934)

Kansas City Princess (1934)

New Morals For Old (1932)

Rebound (1932)

Truth About Youth, The (1930)

were pre-codes originally listed for today.

Message was edited by: movieslover1

Apparently ten were originally scheduled. It's rather ominous that of the films they removed from the schedule, most were precode. Most precodes they've shown this month are things like Rafter Romance, a precode without any real precode content (I know, it's common enough) and already shown on TCM this year. The only bright spot precode-wise was Mary Stevens, M.D. I hope that this is not a sign of a change of direction for TCM. It's been bad enough to hear facts misstated about Mr. Moto's Gamble during the chat session around the film. I watched the deterioration of AMC into a pathetic, commercial-interrupted channel of uselessness, and I hope it's not happening here as well. Far too many films from the '50s and later have been showing up on TCM (how many times do I need to see Billie?). If I want that stuff, I can easily get Movieplex.

> {quote:title=mndean4709 wrote:}{quote}

> Apparently ten were originally scheduled. It's rather ominous that of the films they removed from the schedule, most were precode. Most precodes they've shown this month are things like Rafter Romance, a precode without any real precode content (I know, it's common enough) and already shown on TCM this year. The only bright spot precode-wise was Mary Stevens, M.D. I hope that this is not a sign of a change of direction for TCM. It's been bad enough to hear facts misstated about Mr. Moto's Gamble during the chat session around the film. I watched the deterioration of AMC into a pathetic, commercial-interrupted channel of uselessness, and I hope it's not happening here as well. Far too many films from the '50s and later have been showing up on TCM (how many times do I need to see Billie?). If I want that stuff, I can easily get Movieplex.

AMEN!!!

Amen again. Ever review the Request A Movie list? Its depressing to see how many 50's and

later films are being asked for. Im sure AMC or FOX would be a better source for some of

those duds. I've also wondered why so many Fox pre-codes are available yet never run on the Fox Movie Channel. Keep up the good work TCM; ignore those ignorant requests for "late-model"films.

Pre-Code fans should be utilizing REQUEST A MOVIE to counter the ninnies who post there. Also, I've recommended writing letters to TCM in Atlanta.

So does anyone know why those 3 Myrna Loy Precodes were pulled? I saw 2 of the 3 before but have been waiting to see NEW MORALS FOR OLD for quite some time. They never schedule it even during Myrna Loy day during the Summer Under The Stars month.

I was really looking forward to Glenda Farrell day. We smart-mouthed dames have to stick together. Here's hoping she'll get her day soon.

I thought Oscar month was bad, but this month has been worse.

Too many movies from the '50s and newer.

I hope this is just some kind of programming blip and not a new trend.

> {quote:title=brian34 wrote:}{quote}

> I hope this is just some kind of programming blip and not a new trend.

You and me both. Someone posted a preliminary September schedule, and besides having Kay Francis for the star of the month, they actually are showing one film I requested (The Dark Horse). Of course they're showing Anatomy of a Murder again (twice in September!), and The World of Henry Orient for the third time since April. Lots of other films being shown again, even the precode Lady for a Day (I like it, but it's the third time around for that film this year). I have stated I don't mind a film showing up on the schedule twice a year (though Rat Pfink a Boo Boo? I have my limits), but some show so often I have to wonder why. Now all I can do is pray the schedule holds and I get to see all the precodes they list.

I've watched a pattern over the last three years with TCM. In June and July primetime consists of almost exclusively newer films - those after 1960. I think TCM is doing this to lure younger viewers during summer break. Even the weekday schedule is full of newer films. August's Summer Under the Stars always breaks things up some since they do feature a few of the stars from the pre-code era For example, we're getting Marie Dressler day this August.. Then, in September, with the kids back in school, they seem to go back to more of a mix of programming with more pre-codes. The best months for precodes on TCM seem to be December and January, around the holidays when they think nobody is watching. It's a shame that the precodes have become TCM's programming of last resort.

I too have been extremely frustrated that most pre codes get bumped or have just ceased to exist on tcm. I was excited to see REBOUND and NEW MORALS FOR OLD. In addition whenever there is a memorial tribute causing a reschedule it seems to be on the day Pre Codes were scheduled. I think there is a definite change to 40's to 50's programming the same films over and over. I am really sad to see this, sometimes I think that TCM stands for *TIRESOME CLASSIC MOVIES*

When TCM was still owned by Ted Turner we got much more precode content and Precode star of the months I remember Marion Davies was the SOTM. Now it seems that the same stars are on a three year treadmill and pop up again whenever WB releases a new dvd set. And they would also license more of the extremely elusive PARAMOUNT pre codes currently owned by Universal. Like THE TORCH SINGER 1933, Doesn't UNIVERSAL REALIZE that if they just *_scanned the 16 millimeter Paramount and Universal prints_* (artifacts and all) and put them in a 25 film set like "*_from the restorers workshop"*_ how many of us would buy them!! They could have a promotion like people vote for which films they want to have a full 35mm cleaned up release. Paramount owned more big city theaters than any other studio so their content was more sophisticated by design (more european directors too) And if Kay Francis finally gets to be SOTM, I really hope they license GIRLS ABOUT TOWN 1932 and 24 HOURS check out this review of that film :

"Bromfield Story Inspires "Lost Classic"*

"There are some terrific gems in Paramount's library from 1930-34 that are simply turning to dust. It's a shame they're not on video. 24 Hours qualifies for an unqualified hit on all counts. It's moody, almost "noir" feel is fascinating. It's a visual treasure. Adulterous couple Clive Brook (his stiff, inebriated self) and Kay Francis (captivating here in one of her subtle, effective performances)survive an harrowing 24 Hours in which Brooks' lover (Miriam Hopkins steals the show as a lively chanteuse) manages to get bumped off by her maniacal husband (Regis Toomey). It's tastefully handled, yet gripping in its understatement. The photography is fluid -- this seems more like a 1932 film than a 31 -- it's very mobile, edited nicely. Try to get a copy of this from a collector. You won't be disappointed.

"Simply turning to dust" that line sickens me. Often reviewing website reviews of the films I find the following statement. "A nitrate print of this film is in the UCLA Film and Television archive and is not listed for preservation" Remember that preservation just means transfered to safety film stock, not restoration. Hence the turning to dust line is the reality of the situation. It is only a matter of time. Most of these films will not be in the public domain for another 20 to 35 years will they still be around? Or will we just be viewing fragments. So TCM and UNIVERSAL what do you want us to do? Raise money, get signatures....help start a Universal Film Channel I would do anything to see these films, the lawyers and accountants that advise you do not get how important it is to all who love classic film and what the silver screen once was and has not been for a long long time

Message was edited by: bearcor

I have to agree with you about Kay Francis. I've been collecting her films for some time and I've been able to get quality copies of many of her Paramount films--GENTLEMEN OF THE PRESS, VIRTUOUS SIN, 24 HOURS, VICE SQUAD, FOR THE DEFENSE and many more. A great actress who was treated very badly by Jack Warner.

As to seeing those great Paramounts on TCM, I wouldn't hold my breath. That recent fire at Universal did very serious damage to their 35mm prints--very serious damage. They are now scrambling to redo the moneymakers like the Hitchcock titles from the 50's, early 60's and others. It's going to cost a bundle and I don't think there's going to be much interest in digging back into the Paramount library of the early '30's to restore those titles. To bad for those who want to see the films of Francis, Powell, Raft, Carroll, Hopkins, March and others.

I'm reading the Kay Francis biography by Scott O'Brien. While I knew Kay Francis (lover her) was a big star I had no idea she was THAT big a star at Paramount and at Warners where she was the #1 female box office star for several years. Few of Francis' film rank among the great classics of the ra but she was immensely popular.

Then after a brief law suit (which she withdrew) Warners took it's #1 star and announced she would finish out her contract in B programmers! Like John Gilbert at MGM before her, she was determined to get that salary ($5,250/week) regardless of what they gave her for films. After a series of crappy films in which she was good, Francis ended her Warners contract with Bette Davis ensconced as the new queen of the lot. Oddly Warners had basically done the same thing to Ruth Chatterton a few years before when Kay Francis was rising fast.

Warners refused to loan Kay out for films like DODSWORTH (the Mary Astor role) and announced her for films like 42nd STREET and TOVARICH and then gave the roles to other actresses. Meanwhile at Warners they put her in basically the same roles over and over, yet she performed well and drew huge audiences to so-so films.

When she finished her Warners contract, Kay landed a major supporting role in RKO's IN NAME ONLY with Carole Lombard (an old pal from Paramount days) and Cary Grant. Although the film was a glossy soaper, Kay earned fantastic reviews and was talked up for a 1939 supporting actress Oscar. I think it was really classy of Lombard to insist that Kay Francis get the meaty role of the shrewish wife.

Kay Francis was also a class act, and I look forward to her stint as Star of the Month! I hope TCM does not back off any of the announced films....

Isn't it odd that Francis, Chatterton and Powell, all famous and highly paid stars at Paramount (and all clients of Myron Selznick) were whisked off to WB in what many called one of the great coups of 1930's Hollywood. Powell didn't last long before going to MGM and Chatterton and Francis ended up on the WB junk pile.

Yes "the great raid" was mentioned in the book and it was noted that the studios rarely raided each others' contract talent... but in the long run it doesn't seem Warners was any better than MGM as to how they treated people.

<>

I've gotten the impression that Universal is already doing this, at least in terms of what they've been handing TCM for broadcast. Recently they ran a few Paramount's, DAUGHTER OF THE DRAGON (1931), DAUGHTER OF SHANGHAI (1937) and LAS VEGAS NIGHTS (1941). All three appeared to be old 16mm TV prints (LAS VEGAS NIGHTS even sported the old MCA-TV release logo) and not transfers from decent 35mm material. It's possible that these three films have slipped into puiblic domain (rumor has it that Universal let a good number of lesser Paramount tiles slip by renewal). My thoughts are that Universal still owns them but simply didn't want to shell out for transferring them from 35mm materials as they have done in the past and told TCM, "If you wanna' schedule these, you'll have to be content with our old syndication 16mm's".

I totally agree with you doesnot TCM stand for Turner CLASSIC Movies, not B pics from the 60's and later, ok, there are great films after the 40's but the people we like to see on TCM were more or less older by then, or retired, or in some cased deceased....I love my silents, and the golden age and I was not even born yet, in those times, but give me Camille any day, it is so classic!

While we are on the soapbox here, I have also noticed something in the last month that really bugs me. Why have a full day of movies from one star, and then show all their worst movies? OK, sorry to digress....

I agree with the person who said this is just a summer thing.... in fall, we'll get back to better movies....

> {quote:title=johnbabe wrote:}{quote}

> I totally agree with you doesnot TCM stand for Turner CLASSIC Movies, not B pics from the 60's and later, ok, there are great films after the 40's but the people we like to see on TCM were more or less older by then, or retired, or in some cased deceased....I love my silents, and the golden age and I was not even born yet, in those times, but give me Camille any day, it is so classic!

Admittedly a lot of 60s and 70s B-movies have reached classic status of their own, and I'd actually be happy to watch them (I've been dying to see The Creeping Terror for years!) Unfortunately they don't even show those most of the time -- usually it's just a bunch of half-remembered movies that you can still get pretty much anywhere. If they're not going to show something properly "classic" it seems it should at least be hard to find, you know?

Though agreed, seeing the kind of requests that are common gives actually a good idea of why it's so. The "LIEK U SHUD SHOW HARLOD AND KUMAR GO 2 WHIT CASSLE CUZ ITZ CLASIC" types bug me only slightly more than "You ought to show Vertigo again! I have the DVD and watched it 7 times today because it's a great movie!" Who wouldn't have seen that film by now, and if you hadn't, who wouldn't be able to easily rent it from somewhere?

About '60s and '70s B-movies being classic, while that's all well and good (I'll grant you the point although I don't entirely agree), those type of '60s and '70s films are not what they show on TCM (except for the limited case of TCM Underground) anyway. If they show a movie of that era, it's usually something like Billie, Lord Love A Duck, the monthly run of The World of Henry Orient, or a Western. Not exactly B movies. Many interesting films of the post-'50s era show up on other cable channels, so I don't necessarily think TCM is the right venue for them. I really don't want to see TCM turn into the Boomer Nostalgia Channel.

I agree that the request area is inundated with obvious choices that have been played over and over again, and with stupid requests for recent movies as well. I don't know how much of that gets weeded out by the programmers, except that I know they're not showing any recent releases. There's a type of person who will say, "You can't run Vertigo too many times, it should be shown every month", which is ridiculous and remarkably selfish of anyone who thinks that way, but those are just the sort of people who tend to be tenacious in their requests.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> While we are on the soapbox here, I have also noticed something in the last month that really bugs me. Why have a full day of movies from one star, and then show all their worst movies? OK, sorry to digress....

>

> I agree with the person who said this is just a summer thing.... in fall, we'll get back to better movies....

I don't think they show only their worst movies, although in some cases I guess you get kind of a mixed bag. But usually some of their weaker movies are precisely the ones you can't find anywhere else - because they've never been released on home video and nobody else bothers showing 'em.

Here's my 2cents worth on this. I agree with mndean. During this month TCM is running a string of Doris Day films, some of which,like the "Glass Bottom Boat", are hardly worth the airtime.

If I were programming, I'd air one obvious choice: Storm Warning. It's a popular film with buffs,

and I believe it's Doris Day's first film. I suppose it's not politically correct for a corp based in Atlanta to run a film about the ****. Is that the reason Storm Warning gets passed over in favor

of Ms Day's less significant works? Same question applies to Ronald Reagan, Ginger Rogers,

and Steve Cochran who also appear in this film.

FilmFatale- I was speaking in particular of the George Sanders tribute in which they picked some (to me, at least) questionable movies. In fact, I thought they were real losers! You are right, though, for many, these movies are just as interesting as the critically acclaimed movies that are always shown. They are a part of film history as well... I just would have liked to see some that are both good and never shown, like Moon and Sixpence or ANYTHING from this man's career that was worth watching. The man made 136 movies for goodness sake.... I just thought that anyone tuning in for the first time would see this selection as representative and assume he was a terrible actor......and I am very protective of the dear man......