Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My two favorite actresses in musicals have always been Doris Day and Judy Garland. Both have very different singing (and acting) styles...and both led very differnt lives.

Who is your farvorite???

I have a hard time deciding who I like better--and then I have to ask myself...why do I have to choose??? So I will say for my own answer...BOTH

My favorite Doris Day: On Moonlight Bay

My favorite Judy Garland: (it's a tie) The Wizard of Oz and Meet Me in St. Louis

For me, all of these movies are as much about the supporting cast as they are about these two women ...I loved the whole collection of characters, dances and songs. When I was a kid, I always looked forward to seeing these three movies listed in the TV Guide. And since Wizard of Oz is the only one I have on tape--I still do!! :-)

Two very different ladies, but Greats just the same, i am a huge Judy fan, but love Doris as well..have for years.

I would have to say they are both tops in my book, i understand they were also friends as well, that is a very nice thing to learn.

FG

Thanks for the great pics!! What a treat. It is fun to learn new things about favorite classic stars. You know--when you are a kid, you hear "Hollywood" and you just automatically assume everybody knows everybody....but as you grow up you understand that even if that were true...personalities don't always mix...so it is nice to hear when they do!! Thanks again for the photos!!!

oh dont give me this question. heehee! i absolutely love both!!!

my favorite judy movies: presenting lily mars, the harvey girls, girl crazy....but i love every single one of her movies too.

my favorite doris movies: jumbo, on moonlight bay, glass bottom boat....but i love all of hers too.

I'm going to have to go with Doris Day.

Yes...Judy had a voice that would absolutely break your heart. But Doris just seemed more stable and accessible.

Ya know...seeing that pix of them together kind of blew my mind. I am shocked and chagrined that I never even thought of them as contemporaries or that they might've even heard each other sing, or seen each other's movies.

Where was MY mind? Why had I never thought of that before.

Great question Rohanaka. It made my mind reel at the possibilities. Thank you.

FG great pics, thanks! I never knew they were good friends and like many here, I find myself thinking of the tremendous collaboration both would have done if given the opportunity. They were extremely talented and their characters possessed a great sense of humor.

I am Just finding this thread...I am such a huge DD fan so I am going with Doris..but I do love Judy. It's a shame they never did anything together. There was also a Radio Interview with Doris

on her 83 birthday inwich Liza called in and said Vincent Minelli adored her or (something like that) What a shame he never directed her.

I am lovin' getting to hear all these tidbits about these two women. They were both just such a fun part of my growing up years. Funny though...I was just the right age that the Doris Day television show was on when I was a kid...and that was always my first thought of her until I started seeing some of her movies as I got older...(like Move Over Darling--another one of my all time faves)

And with Judy Garland...well I only knew about her as Dorothy for probably the first eight or ten years of my life. But eventually, as time went by, I got to stay up later and enjoy some of her other classics on the "late show" or we would occassionally catch one on a Sunday afternoon movie (before cable tv and satellite took over the world).

Kids today don't know how easy they have it to be able to just about watch any movie they want any given time of any given day. (And also to record their favorites and watch them over an over.) I think for me, having to wait made me appreciate them all a little more because it kept them special!

However... now that I am in all my glorious "fogey-ness" I am far less patient than I used to be and I enjoy having more access to things like my favorite movies without having to wait so long for them. :-)

Message was edited by: rohanaka

• 3 weeks later...

no contest it as got to be Doris but then i never did like Judy not to be disrespectful to Judy or her fans i just liked Doris loved every thing she did . having said that could not get on with the Doris day shows i thought she was better than that.... she came across as a bit thick.

I know there are pictures of both these women on various threads throughout here--wonder if anybody has any new ones (or favorite ones) of either of these two ladies they would like to share???