Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

13 minutes ago, Kvillefan said:

My favoerite musical is The One and Only Geniune Original Family Band

I haven't seen that in years! I used to have the soundtrack but it got lost in our of our many moves. Is it available on DVD or BluRay?

• Like 1

It's on DVD, and I would think a Blu-ray release through Disney Movie Club should be happening soon since it aired on TCM last month with a gorgeous new transfer. Usually Disney uses TCM's Treasures from the Disney Vault monthly lineup as a means of debuting a restorations before it hits Blu-ray. Most of the films they've shown have gotten one (though I'm still impatiently waiting on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea).

As for underrated musicals, the first that comes to mind is another Sherman Brothers one: The Slipper and the Rose. It's a lavish, witty version of Cinderella that's tonally and presentationally akin to My Fair Lady and 1776. Most live-action Cinderella films either go full-blown fantastical (like all three Rodgers and Hammerstein TV films), or go so realistic that all fantasy is swept away (The Glass SlipperEver After). The Slipper and the Rose manages to be realistic while still holding on to the fairy tale elements that make the story iconic. It's a funny and beautiful film that a lot of people don't know exists. I'm happy TCM acquired it a year or two ago so that now more people can experience it. 

• Like 1

I have a couple of contributions to the topic of unappreciated musicals.  The first is Nashville - a brilliant movie from a brilliant director.  It certainly falls into the category of musicals from the 70's that reflected the unrest of the times.  And many of the actors sang songs that they had composed/written themselves.  The other group of films I'd like to talk about are the Marx brothers.  Their films are certainly not unappreciated; but I think musical film folks put their movies into the strictly madcap comedy category.  The unique and wonderful musical contributions of Harpo and Chico are unparalleled. And there were many talented singers and composers featured in their movies.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, TheMadKiwi said:

It's on DVD, and I would think a Blu-ray release through Disney Movie Club should be happening soon since it aired on TCM last month with a gorgeous new transfer. Usually Disney uses TCM's Treasures from the Disney Vault monthly lineup as a means of debuting a restorations before it hits Blu-ray. Most of the films they've shown have gotten one (though I'm still impatiently waiting on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea).

As for underrated musicals, the first that comes to mind is another Sherman Brothers one: The Slipper and the Rose. It's a lavish, witty version of Cinderella that's tonally and presentationally akin to My Fair Lady and 1776. Most live-action Cinderella films either go full-blown fantastical (like all three Rodgers and Hammerstein TV films), or go so realistic that all fantasy is swept away (The Glass SlipperEver After). The Slipper and the Rose manages to be realistic while still holding on to the fairy tale elements that make the story iconic. It's a funny and beautiful film that a lot of people don't know exists. I'm happy TCM acquired it a year or two ago so that now more people can experience it. 

I don't know how I missed that! I was probably watching a baseball game.