Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*Spielberg now remaking *"West side story"

7 minutes ago, miki said:

You're saying what I've been trying to say:  A re-make of West Side Story could and undoubtedly would mean the demise of the old 1961 original film, or it would just be available for occasional TV, DVD, or Blu-Ray DVD, and not even in the movie theatres on occasion.  I still  think that introducing the younger, newer generation(s) to the original 1961 film version of West Side Story is the best way to go about it.

Please don't imply I'm saying the same over-the-top nonsense you're saying about the 'demise of the 1961 original film'.     I'm NOT saying that at all.    The 1961 film will always be available for purchase,  is in the Library of Congress,   and networks like TCM will continue to show it.     

Sorry, but you lose credibility with that silly cry-wolf tactic.

AGAIN:  I'm saying the opposite;   that a new version will bring ATTENTION to the 1961 version.  People that have never seen the 1961 version are MORE likely to seek it out and see it BECAUSE there is a remake,  because a remake puts the original version in the spotlight.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Please don't imply I'm saying the same over-the-top nonsense you're saying about the 'demise of the 1961 original film'.     I'm NOT saying that at all.    The 1961 film will always be available for purchase,  is in the Library of Congress,   and networks like TCM will continue to show it.     

Sorry, but you lose credibility with that silly cry-wolf tactic.

AGAIN:  I'm saying the opposite;   that a new version will bring ATTENTION to the 1961 version.  People that have never seen the 1961 version are MORE likely to seek it out and see it BECAUSE there is a remake,  because a remake puts the original version in the spotlight.

Not everybody is interested in purchasing a DVD or Blu-Ray copy of West Side Story to watch at home, or getting it from the library.  It's more of a treat to see it on a great big, wide movie theatre screen.  Are you saying that it's possible that a re-make of the film West Side Story might bring it back to the theatres, or whatever because it would put the 1961 original film in the spotlight?  Just curious.

Just now, miki said:

Not everybody is interested in purchasing a DVD or Blu-Ray copy of West Side Story to watch at home, or getting it from the library.  It's more of a treat to see it on a great big, wide movie theatre screen.  Are you saying that it's possible that a re-make of the film West Side Story might bring it back to the theatres, or whatever because it would put the 1961 original film in the spotlight?  Just curious.

I'm saying that a remake increases the odds a revival theater will show the 61 version of WWS or that a company like TCM will sponsor the film in theaters (like TCM did with Casablanca and Gone With The Wind).

Yes,  increases the likelihood.   Why?   Because a remake always brings attention to prior versions.   Those running a revival theater would piggyback on the marketing of the remake.     

On 7/1/2018 at 9:56 PM, speedracer5 said:

I don't think the movie needs to be remade, the original is fine as it is.  My only complaint with the original is that Marni Nixon's operatic vocals do not fit Natalie Wood and do not fit with the rest of the vocals in the film.  Also the person who dubbed Richard Beymer is not a very good singer--especially in "Something's Coming." 

On 7/1/2018 at 9:56 PM, speedracer5 said:

I don't think the movie needs to be remade, the original is fine as it is.  My only complaint with the original is that Marni Nixon's operatic vocals do not fit Natalie Wood and do not fit with the rest of the vocals in the film.  Also the person who dubbed Richard Beymer is not a very good singer--especially in "Something's Coming." 

I agree that West Side Story is great as it is, and is not in need of a re-make, and it shouldn't be touched.  I am willing to overlook the dubbing of Natalie Wood's voice by Marnie Nixon, and the dubbing of Richard Beymer's voice by Jimmy Bryant, due to my intense love for this great classic movie-musical, and to the fact that dubbing was very, very common during that period.  

Also, while Natalie Wood didn't have a bad voice, she was unable to project her voice that well, which is why Marni Nixon was chosen to dub Natalie Wood's voice to begin with, despite Natalie's not liking that very much.

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'm saying that a remake increases the odds a revival theater will show the 61 version of WWS or that a company like TCM will sponsor the film in theaters (like TCM did with Casablanca and Gone With The Wind).

Yes,  increases the likelihood.   Why?   Because a remake always brings attention to prior versions.   Those running a revival theater would piggyback on the marketing of the remake.     

What you're saying, jamesjazzguitar, is that's a possibility to look into.  After all, TCM and Fathom Events have sponsored West Side Story also, which showed last month, in select movie-theatres, nationwide, and in the big multiplexes, for two nights.  I attended both showings of West Side Story at a Regal Cinema here in Boston, both with family and friends, and solo, and loved every minute of it.  The film was absolutely pristine and the soundtrack was power, punchy, and in-one's-face, the way it's supposed to be.  My friend, my sister-in-law and I all had a wonderful time.

If what you think that the likelihood of what you were mentioning were to happen, especially with a film such as West Side Story, that would be great.  

1 minute ago, miki said:

What you're saying, jamesjazzguitar, is that's a possibility to look into.  After all, TCM and Fathom Events have sponsored West Side Story also, which showed last month, in select movie-theatres, nationwide, and in the big multiplexes, for two nights.  I attended both showings of West Side Story at a Regal Cinema here in Boston, both with family and friends, and solo, and loved every minute of it.  The film was absolutely pristine and the soundtrack was power, punchy, and in-one's-face, the way it's supposed to be.  My friend, my sister-in-law and I all had a wonderful time.

I also saw WWS on the big screen when TCM and Fathom Events sponsored it.     Nothing better than seeing a great film on the big screen!   Since I'm only 50 miles from Hollywood,  I often go to revival theaters in that area.  

On 7/30/2018 at 6:08 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I also saw WWS on the big screen when TCM and Fathom Events sponsored it.     Nothing better than seeing a great film on the big screen!   Since I'm only 50 miles from Hollywood,  I often go to revival theaters in that area.  

On 7/30/2018 at 6:08 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

West Side Story is my all time favorite movie---hands down!  As I pointed out earlier, seeing this film on a great big, wide screen, in a real movie theatre, with the lights down low, and sharing the experience with other people, whether one knows them or not, is much more of a treat than seeing it on DVD, video, Blu-Ray, or by streaming it on the internet (the latter of which carries risks that I'd rather not take.)  I've even made special road trips to the opposite end of the Bay State, and to neighboring states to see West Side Story on a large screen, when it's not playing here in the Boston area.  

There are at least 3 independent movie theatres in our general area that play all kinds of movies, including classic films, two of which I hold annual memberships to and get to see movies at a discount price.  There are other TCM-Fathom Events-sponsored national re-releases of classic films that I've attended, such as Lawrence of Arabia, 2001:  A Space Odyssey, West Side Story, and some others.  

Just this past Saturday night, I also drove out to Tanglewood, in Lenox, Ma, which is located in the Berkshires, in the western part of the Bay State, where a Hi-Def, re-mastered, reprinted, restored and cleaned-up, pristine version of the 1961 film version of West Side Story was shown on a large screen, and a powerfully strong live rendition of the musical score was played by the Boston Symphony Orchestra.  Since I had a seat in the Koussovitzy shed, in the center, relatively close to the front of the shed, I got a spectacular view of both the film and the orchestra at the same time.  It was fabulous, and well worth the 120-mile drive out there from Somerville, where I reside, and back.  I stayed overnight in a nearby hotel afterwards, and drove back east the next morning.  I'm no stranger to driving long distances, so it was no big deal for me.  The fabulous concert, and the pretty panoramic scenery on the way out there and the way back, was all worth it.

Nothing is sacred anymore. "Don't leave any stone un-turned" is Hollywood's new motto. All I can say is, I will have a serious problem if anyone tries to touch Sunset Boulevard (1950)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Nothing is sacred anymore. "Don't leave any stone un-turned" is Hollywood's new motto. All I can say is, I will have a serious problem if anyone tries to touch Sunset Boulevard (1950)

There have been plans to film the Sunset Boulevard musical for several years now, but it hasn't entered pre-production as of yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Boulevard_(musical)#Proposed_film_adaptation

41 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

There have been plans to film the Sunset Boulevard musical for several years now, but it hasn't entered pre-production as of yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Boulevard_(musical)#Proposed_film_adaptation

I already have reservations about the musical, because I am decidedly not a fan of Andrew Lloyd Webber... I never have any problems with anyone filming live musicals/adapting them into movies, though. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What does that even mean?     'touch'?????

I just meant that there are certain films that I don't feel need to be re-made, i.e. "Sunset Boulevard." I came on a little heavy this morning; must have been the energy drinks. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I just meant that there are certain films that I don't feel need to be re-made, i.e. "Sunset Boulevard." I came on a little heavy this morning; must have been the energy drinks. 

I assume by 'need to be re-made' you really mean that you don't see how a prior adaptation of the original source material can be improved upon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/3/2018 at 8:59 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

I feel you, NickAndNora34.  I agree that "Sunset Boulevard" is another oldie-but-goody classic film that really should be left alone, and not re-made, but, as I've also pointed out, I feel likewise about the 1961 film version of "West  Side Story".  

• Like 1
On 7/4/2018 at 2:50 PM, NipkowDisc said:

Spielberg is obviously burned out so I say give the public what it would like to see...

remake close encounters and this time make the ETs malign supernatural manifestations that scare the pants offa adults and kids alike...

and no new age go torward the light BS that spoiled the first poltergeist movie so much.

Related image

Hollywood has run out of creative ideas.  That's why there are so many re-makes and sequals taking place right now.

9 minutes ago, miki said:

I feel you, NickAndNora34.  I agree that "Sunset Boulevard" is another oldie-but-goody classic film that really should be left alone, and not re-made, but, as I've also pointed out, I feel likewise about the 1961 film version of "West  Side Story".  

I can see West Side Story being remade more so than other classic films because it seems like it would be quite relevant to today’s social issues. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Of course, they remade Sunset Blvd. as a Broadway musical, and I think there's been some talk there might be a movie version of that musical.

Yes, my arch-nemesis, Andrew Lloyd Webber, wrote the music/lyrics for the Sunset Boulevard Broadway show haha. I guess I'm okay with a movie version as long as their Norma is actually talented (both in the acting and vocal departments). 

I'm suddenly remembering a many-years old story. I bought a buddy of mine several classic movies on VHS (yep, it was that long ago) for his birthday. One of them was Sunset Blvd. I didn't know he and his wife had actually seen the original stageshow with Glenn Close on a trip to New York. He had no idea it had been a movie. I later asked him what he thought of it, and he said, "Well, we really couldn't get past the idea of there not being musical numbers in it. We kept looking at each other while we were watching and saying here's where this song should start, and here's where that song should start. It was just really weird seeing it without the songs."

As someone who's never seen the stageshow and who couldn't possibly imagine Sunset Blvd. WITH songs, I was a little depressed by his reaction!

• Like 1

all these hoy-faloy Hollywood liberal icons have forgotten what the public wants and are going off every which way on self-ingratiating vanity projects.

Spielberg wants to remake west side story? why?  Spielberg has been wallowing in his own fame for so long his thoughts are now blanked up.

let mister rubbery ET babies do a remake of Xtro.

:D

Related image

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/8/2018 at 9:58 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

I can see West Side Story being remade more so than other classic films because it seems like it would be quite relevant to today’s social issues. 

West Side Story is relevant to today's social issues, but the fact that West Side Story is in such a special class by itself is precisely why it should not be re-made.  That is why introducing the original 1961 film version of West Side Story to younger generations, through more frequent periodic national re-releases into selective movie theatres would be the best way to go.  Some younger people would like it, others not so much.  Every movie, including great ones like West Side Story, has its followers and detractors.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Could you ever post anything about anything without attacking liberals? 

Nobody's attacking liberals or anybody else on this board.  People are just pointing out why they either disagree or agree with the idea of a re-make of the film West Side  Story by anybody, including Spielberg and Kushner.

On 8/3/2018 at 1:35 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

That's exactly how I feel about the idea of a re-make of the film West Side Story (1961)!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, miki said:

Nobody's attacking liberals or anybody else on this board.  People are just pointing out why they either disagree or agree with the idea of a re-make of the film West Side  Story by anybody, including Spielberg and Kushner.

I was referring to Nipkow's post directly above the one you just quoted in which he does indeed attack "hoy-foy liberal icons" and then go read about six thousand other posts from him over the years in which he has blamed liberals for everything that bad that's ever happened in the history of the world before you make the blanket statement that no one is attacking liberals on this board, which is completely inaccurate, believe me!

• Thanks 1