Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

*Spielberg now remaking *"West side story"

At this point, after so much complaining on at least 4 different threads. I sincerely hope someone burns the last remaining negative of West Side Story in front of miki.

• Haha 2

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:21 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Could you ever post anything about anything without attacking liberals? 

liberals have been running Hollywood since the old studio system ended back in the 70s and are responsible for the degradation of recent decades including but not limited to the death of cartoon animation as an artform.

liberals have undone it all and if not certainly most of Hollywood's 20th century legacy..

tcm shows colorized prints of king long and the thing from another world and then stop.

they politically won't show anything beyond seven days in may, advise and consent, the best man and all the president's men and spend 24/7 pretending as if today's garbage is on a par with the great Hollywood films they worship so much.

lets have some diversity around here with at least one showing of Will: G. Gordon Liddy featuring a standout performance by Robert Conrad.

how does tcm plan to win back the droves who are leaving and have no interest in wine and pleasure cruises?

:huh:

"you know looking around at your people I get the sense that you're not going to last very long." -yul brynner

"there is a certain fatalism." -max von sydow

-the ultimate warrior

• Like 1

So, although you didn't actually answer my question can you ever actually make a post without attacking liberals when we all know you're supposed to reserve this political crap for the off-topic threads, you show by your last post that the answer is no.

5 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

liberals have been running Hollywood since the old studio system ended back in the 70s and are responsible for the degradation of recent decades including but not limited to the death of cartoon animation as an artform.

liberals have undone it all and if not certainly most of Hollywood's 20th century legacy..

tcm shows colorized prints of king long and the thing from another world and then stop.

they politically won't show anything beyond seven days in may, advise and consent, the best man and all the president's men and spend 24/7 pretending as if today's garbage is on a par with the great Hollywood films they worship so much.

lets have some diversity around here with at least one showing of Will: G. Gordon Liddy featuring a standout performance by Robert Conrad.

how does tcm plan to win back the droves who are leaving and have no interest in wine and pleasure cruises?

"you know looking around at your people I get the sense that you're not going to last very long." -yul brynner

"there is a certain fatality." -max von sydow

-the ultimate warrior

Hollywood isn't only liberal. In fact, there are actually a lot of evangelicals in Hollywood too.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/08/justin-bieber-hailey-baldwin-hillsong-evangelicals-hollywood.html

• Thanks 1

Clint Eastwood is a republican. So is Arnold Schwarzenegger, Kurt Russell, James Woods, Tim Allen.

So Hollywood is definitely not 100 percent liberal at all.

There are some things I agree and don't agree with both the Democratic and the Republican parties. I will say I have grown a bit disillusioned with both parties over the years, though it hasn't stopped me from voting.

Back to the original topic, if WEST SIDE STORY is being remade, I'll give it a chance and hope to be pleasantly surprised, though I still say we need less remakes and more original material onscreen these days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

At this point, after so much complaining on at least 4 different threads. I sincerely hope someone burns the last remaining negative of West Side Story in front of miki.

" There's a place for us

Somewhere a place for us

Peace and quiet and open-air

Wait for us somewhere. ..."

On 8/10/2018 at 11:44 AM, LawrenceA said:

I've got every right to state how I feel about a re-make of the 1961 film West Side Story, LawrenceA.  I'll continue to do so.  Having said that,  in the event that West Side Story  does get re-made and it flops in the box offices throughout the country, I'll be laughing my butt off right in front of you, LawrenceA.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, NipkowDisc said:

"there is a certain fatalism." -max von sydow

-the ultimate warrior

*Oscar victor *Yul Brynner is always included among HOLLYWOODS ALL-TIME MOST DIFFICULT PERFORMERS!!!  Along w/T. Bankhead, *Brando, *B. Davis, Donlevy, Joe Besser, C. Bennett, W.C. Fields & Mae West-(though he was a genius!) Shelley Long, Debra winger & others including & I hate to include them, because they are many top #2 IDOLS but *THE GREAT: TRACY & *SINATRA were well-known as being trouble.

.@TheRitaMoreno, who won an Oscar for her performance in 1961’s #WestSideStory, has signed on to join the cast of Steven Spielberg’s remake and will also be an executive producer on the film

In the new take, Moreno will play Valentina, a reconceived and expanded version of the character of Doc, the owner of the corner store where Tony works

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rita-moreno-joins-steven-spielbergs-west-side-story-movie-1164273?utm_source=twitter

rita_moreno_oscars.jpg

19 hours ago, jakeem said:

Yay for Rachel Zegler!

Nice to see a New Jersey girl getting a chance to shine! :)

She has a fantastic voice!  From the clips I've heard she doesn't sound like a soprano so I'm wondering if they'll be transposing the score for her  ---- which is what they should have done for Natalie Wood in the original movie adaptation so she could do her own singing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry. I really like Spielberg, but I think some movies should not be re-made and West Side Story is one of them. I know Hollywood does this all the time. Also I'm sure it will be a good movie. Sometimes the re-make is better than the original (ie. The Man Who Knew Too Much and The Maltese Falcon). There are other's that, in my opinion,  just don't measure up (ie. The Day the Earth Stood Still and The Magnificent Seven). Obviously this is a done deal and many of you will disagree with me, but I'm still not a fan.

2 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Sorry. I really like Spielberg, but I think some movies should not be re-made and West Side Story is one of them. I know Hollywood does this all the time. Also I'm sure it will be a good movie. Sometimes the re-make is better than the original (ie. The Man Who Knew Too Much and The Maltese Falcon). There are other's that, in my opinion,  just don't measure up (ie. The Day the Earth Stood Still and The Magnificent Seven). Obviously this is a done deal and many of you will disagree with me, but I'm still not a fan.

Can you explain why you believe some films 'should not be re-made'?  E.g. is the reason a film was so well done, in all aspects (screenplay, acting, directing,  etc..) one can see the 'need' for a re-make?

Even when the above is true why shouldn't future generations 're-make' a film putting their own 'spin' on it based on how they 'grew-up' (i.e. how they experienced this thing called life).

In addition clearly the generation feels the source material a film was based on (play, book, original screenplay),  was solid enough to deserve being redone.   That shows a lot of respect for the original source.  

I just think some films should stand alone. I'm fine with prequels and sequels. Although some fall short, many are quite good.  It seems the trend of making movies out of old TV shows is popular now. Obviously, money is a big factor in this. I remember hearing George Clooney once say he participated in films like OCEAN'S ELEVEN just so he could afford to make movies like GOOD NIGHT and GOOD LUCK which wasn't successful at the box office, but was truly a great movie. It's just my opinion. You're certainly entitled to disagree.

Although the original OCEAN'S ELEVEN is STILL on my "favorites" list, the 2001 SODERBERGH remake is pretty good.  Clever plot twist, and some good "old timey" snappy dialog.  

I DO however, have an issue with "prequels" that don't show up until 74 YEARS after the original (like, OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL  :D ) !

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

I just think some films should stand alone. I'm fine with prequels and sequels. Although some fall short, many are quite good.  It seems the trend of making movies out of old TV shows is popular now. Obviously, money is a big factor in this. I remember hearing George Clooney once say he participated in films like OCEAN'S ELEVEN just so he could afford to make movies like GOOD NIGHT and GOOD LUCK which wasn't successful at the box office, but was truly a great movie. It's just my opinion. You're certainly entitled to disagree.

Thanks for the reply but I still don't really understand what terms like 'stand alone' mean.

To me if a work of art is so special it 'stands alone', period.

I.e.  a re-make doesn't diminish the value of prior works.   

MARVELOUS WORK, BUT CHECK GENERAL ARENA, I JUST ALSO EITHER POSTED & OR ADDED 2 DAYS AGO NEWS  WITH THE NEW MARIA-(massive shoes to feel)

Though NATALIA was up same year for her mt. summit performance in SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS (WB's) as Deanie   *Sophia Loren in "Two Women" defeated her, but the vast majority of books & online insist little LOVE OF MY LIFE truly deserved to WALK DOWN-THE-AISLE instead  Of course SPLENDOR was her own fav. film & that ill-fated yacht called SPLENOUR instead is still somewhere out there???

(ALSO, don't know entire post here, just able to browse right now, did he also got into just how incredibally creul *WEST SIDE'S cast members were to her???  Especially Tamblyn, who never apologized.   IT WOULDA' BEEN PERFECT WITH *WEST SIDE INCREDIBALLY SWEEPING (10) & THEN HER ALSO WINNING AS DEANIE.

On 8/19/2018 at 3:24 PM, LawrenceA said:

Okay, thanks.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:22 PM, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Yay for Rachel Zegler!

Nice to see a New Jersey girl getting a chance to shine! :)

She has a fantastic voice!  From the clips I've heard she doesn't sound like a soprano so I'm wondering if they'll be transposing the score for her  ---- which is what they should have done for Natalie Wood in the original movie adaptation so she could do her own singing. 

First of all, I've seen pictures of Rachel Zegler, and she looks like a corpse.  Secondly, a kid that age should not be cast as the female lead in West Side Story.  Thirdly, her voice is not that good, plus she has no control over her singing voice, at all.  

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 3:24 PM, LawrenceA said:

Okay, thanks.

You're more than welcome, LawrenceA!!

10 hours ago, miki said:

First of all, I've seen pictures of Rachel Zegler, and she looks like a corpse.  Secondly, a kid that age should not be cast as the female lead in West Side Story.  Thirdly, her voice is not that good, plus she has no control over her singing voice, at all.  

*Spielberg certainly has ….to take this on though!

This girl can sing & is attractive enough, but in no way shape nor form is she as BEAUTUIFUL AS NATASHA!!!

Wonder if *Steven will have some others in cameos like *Rita Moreno-(l931-), *George Chakiris-(l933-), Richard Beymer-(l939-) & the guy that named her the nastiest time if all Russ Tamblyn-(l934-)