Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

*Spielberg now remaking *"West side story"

One thing seems certain & extremely unlikely, no matter *Spieberg's talent, it's certain his remake will not sweep a staggering 10 Oscars though

• Like 1

21 hours ago, miki said:

First of all, I've seen pictures of Rachel Zegler, and she looks like a corpse.  Secondly, a kid that age should not be cast as the female lead in West Side Story.  Thirdly, her voice is not that good, plus she has no control over her singing voice, at all.  

Yikes, I'm not sure if it's worth responding to such sourpuss comments but . . .

Firstly, Yikes! That's pretty cruel, miki, and also not true.

Secondly, Maria in West Side Story is supposed be a Puerto Rican teenager in New York City so Rachel Zegler (a seventeen-year-old Latina from New Jersey)  is perfectly cast for the role.

Thirdly, either you're just extremely biased or need to have your hearing evaluated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Yikes, I'm not sure if it's worth responding to such sourpuss comments but . . .

Secondly, Maria in West Side Story is supposed be a Puerto Rican teenager in New York City so Rachel Zegler (a seventeen-year-old Latina from New Jersey)  is perfectly cast for the role.

Thirdly, either you're just extremely biased or need to have your hearing evaluated.

All of the above. 

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2019 at 4:44 AM, spence said:

One thing seems certain & extremely unlikely, no matter *Spieberg's talent, it's certain his remake will not sweep a staggering 10 Oscars though

Why do you think so? It could be something that really goes over well with the public and the Academy voters. At this point, we don't know how successful it will be.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:03 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Why?    First films are made to make money.   If the financial backers believe such a project will make money that is the #1 to move forward with it.

Now from the artistic POV you have with your 'why' question;  so one shouldn't take original source material and a new production company (actors, screenwriters, director, etc...) and try to make their own interpretation of said source material,  unless they can be sure they can 'top' what others have done before?   

I assume if one was to ask the producers 'why' they would tell us basically what I'm saying;   This was a great play,  inspired by another great play (Romeo and Juliet), and we wish to use said source material and see if we can come up with a solid movie.

Most people are NOT interested in seeing 'old' movies;  a new adaptation will bring expose this fine play to a new generation.    Isn't that 'why' enough? 

(oh, and I wouldn't define as great the duped singing used by the two main stars in the 1961 version).  

On 7/30/2018 at 5:19 PM, miki said:

Most people are NOT interested in seeing 'old' movies;  a new adaptation will bring expose this fine play to a new generation.    Isn't that 'why' enough? 

To be truthful, no!  The fact that most people are supposedly not interested in seeing older movies, plus a new adaptation will supposedly bring expose of West Side Story to a new generation is not a sufficient enough "Why" , imho.

On 2/24/2019 at 5:19 PM, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Frankly, BagelonaplateofOnionRolls, I really don't give a damn what you or other people say or think.  I stand by what I've said.    I'll also add, however, that the vocal cords of anybody are not completely matured and developed until around the age of 18 or 19 and putting too much of a strain on underdeveloped and immature vocal cords can do a lot of damage.

10 minutes ago, miki said:

I really don't give a damn what you or other people say or think.    

That's great, since none of us give a **** about your opinion, either.

So here we all are, not giving a ****.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, miki said:

...the vocal cords of anybody are not completely matured and developed until around the age of 18 or 19 and putting too much of a strain on underdeveloped and immature vocal cords can do a lot of damage.

Did this apply to Judy Garland, Deanna Durbin, Bobby Breen, Anna Maria Alberghetti and other child star singers in the movies?

When you keep bumping these threads every few weeks, you are actually generating publicity for the remake of WEST SIDE STORY. Since most of your earlier arguments fell flat, you are now attacking young singers. 

You keep saying "I stand by what I said." But what have you actually said? It's sort of like refusing to get on the last lifeboat, because you'd rather stand on a sinking ship.

• Like 1

Not that my opinion means anything, but I think Miss Zegler has a very nice Broadway-style voice.

I know the role of Maria is generally played by an opera trained soprano, but who says it must be?

Thinking back to the film version of KISMET, as an example, Delores Gray did a fantastic job in the role of Lalume. She was not an opera trained mezzo soprano and the role was written for a mezzo (like Joan Diener, who originated the role on Broadway) but performed the songs in her own style, and was wonderful!

Joan Diener as Lalume:

Delores Gray as Lalume:

On 3/17/2019 at 7:41 AM, TopBilled said:

Did this apply to Judy Garland, Deanna Durbin, Bobby Breen, Anna Maria Alberghetti and other child star singers in the movies?

When you keep bumping these threads every few weeks, you are actually generating publicity for the remake of WEST SIDE STORY. Since most of your earlier arguments fell flat, you are now attacking young singers. 

You keep saying "I stand by what I said." But what have you actually said? It's sort of like refusing to get on the last lifeboat, because you'd rather stand on a sinking ship.

It's possible that Judy Garland and the other above-mentioned people did suffer some degree of vocal cord damage when they got older, .yes. 

Secondly, I stand by my opinion that re-makes generally don't come out well, and I don't see a  re-boot of a film such as West Side Story coming out any better.

Thirdly, I'm not bothered that you and everybody else on here undertook to insult me, because I have no intention of changing my opinion to fit yours regarding a re-make.

On 3/17/2019 at 4:34 PM, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

But, alas, miki, if you say red is blue, it doesn't make it so.

Ha ha ha ha ha~~

40 minutes ago, miki said:

It's possible that Judy Garland and the other above-mentioned people did suffer some degree of vocal cord damage when they got older, .yes. 

Secondly, I stand by my opinion that re-makes generally don't come out well, and I don't see a  re-boot of a film such as West Side Story coming out any better.

Thirdly, I'm not bothered that you and everybody else on here undertook to insult me, because I have no intention of changing my opinion to fit yours regarding a re-make.

Thanks to you more and more people will be seeing the new adaptation of West Side Story.  

Steven is thankful for all the attention you are bringing to his new project. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, miki said:

You have no proof that Judy Garland's vocal cords were ever damaged from singing at a young age. You're just making fanciful statements now.

Then you retreat to your "I stand by opinion" stance, which seems meaningless to everyone but you. You added the word 'generally' which indicates you are backtracking a bit. This is because others have shown you that some remakes DO come out well and you can no longer make a blanket statement.

Finally, you resort to playing the martyr by saying that everyone is supposedly insulting you. I think we're just disagreeing with your point of view. Nobody's insulting you. If anything, you've been insulting Steven Spielberg, insulting young singers and insulting people who don't mind remakes and want to see this new movie. All because it doesn't fit with YOUR opinion.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I correspond witht fhe 17 yr old would be MARIA!   She is cute, but no where in same league as NATALIE'S TIMELESS BEAUTIFTY OF NATASHA THOUGH!    (P.S. Could even snag his 19th nomination for BD God?)

12 hours ago, miki said:

As far as insults go, miki, many of us here remember that your escalating and increasingly personal and nasty insults to fellow posters are what sent your "Opinions of a Naysayer" thread into TCM oblivion. We know you love to rumble, but this time around it isn't your turf, so maybe show a little more restraint. It would be different if you had anything new to say but....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/21/2019 at 9:27 AM, DougieB said:

As far as insults go, miki, many of us here remember that your escalating and increasingly personal and nasty insults to fellow posters are what sent your "Opinions of a Naysayer" thread into TCM oblivion. We know you love to rumble, but this time around it isn't your turf, so maybe show a little more restraint. It would be different if you had anything new to say but....

Hey look, DougieB!  We just disagree, that's all!  

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, miki said:

Ha ha ha ha ha~~

And this is how you disagree.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, DougieB said:

He/ she is just trying to rile people up. I doubt he even really cares about West Side Story at all besides using it to start a flame war. :(

19 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

He/ she is just trying to rile people up. I doubt he even really cares about West Side Story at all besides using it to start a flame war. 

Wait till we get to the part where the movie is released. This person is going to have to watch the film to say how much they hate it. But of course, a logical person would just ignore the remake and focus on what they do like.

Of course, they will make excuses about why they ended up watching the remake (someone else dragged them to see it, they'd read a horrible review and decided to see it to compare it to the original, etc). Basically this person is going to end up watching the remake like everyone else. And the movie's going to be a huge hit.

But to spend months dragging other people into an argument about it...the whole thing is bizarre.

these types eventually get caught up in their own egos and fail to give their fans what they want...

in this case a reimagining of CE3K but instead of cute rubbery little child-like beings the audience gets what they really want...demonic entities that bleep the bleep outta ya.

:)

On 3/25/2019 at 10:34 AM, DougieB said:

Frankly, DougieB, with people like you, it's the only way to disagree at this point, because you guys refuse to accept the fact that I have a different opinion on the idea of a re-make of the 1961 film version of West Side Story than the rest of you do.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:24 AM, TopBilled said:

Wait till we get to the part where the movie is released. This person is going to have to watch the film to say how much they hate it. But of course, a logical person would just ignore the remake and focus on what they do like.

Of course, they will make excuses about why they ended up watching the remake (someone else dragged them to see it, they'd read a horrible review and decided to see it to compare it to the original, etc). Basically this person is going to end up watching the remake like everyone else. And the movie's going to be a huge hit.

But to spend months dragging other people into an argument about it...the whole thing is bizarre.

To be honest, TopBilled, my plan is to boycott Steven Spielberg's re-boot of the 1961 film version of West Side Story (inotherwords, not to go see it), and just focus on what I do like.  

4 minutes ago, miki said:

To be honest, TopBilled, my plan is to boycott Steven Spielberg's re-boot of the 1961 film version of West Side Story (inotherwords, not to go see it), and just focus on what I do like.  

That seems wise. And if you change your mind later, then you can watch it. If you don't change your mind, then you have other films to enjoy.