Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*Spielberg now remaking *"West side story"

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

That seems wise. And if you change your mind later, then you can watch it. If you don't change your mind, then you have other films to enjoy. 

Thanks, TopBilled.  I have other films I enjoy, but I'll just watch the original 1961 film version of West Side Story in addition to those other films that I enjoy.  I cannot and will not, however,  accept a total suppression of the original, which I'm concerned about the possibility of a re-make of the film West Side Story will invariably result in.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

That seems wise. And if you change your mind later, then you can watch it. If you don't change your mind, then you have other films to enjoy. 

Here's a question for you, TopBilled;  Are you saying that you think that Steven Spielberg's upcoming re-boot of the original 1961 film version of West Side Story will subvert and/or totally suppress the original so that it'll never, ever be available except for DVD, Blu-Ray, or occasional showings on TV?  If that be that case, then that will **** me off--no end!

On 3/20/2019 at 9:55 PM, TopBilled said:

If anything, you've been insulting Steven Spielberg, insulting young singers and insulting people who don't mind remakes and want to see this new movie. All because it doesn't fit with YOUR opinion.

You're damned right that I refuse to see Steve Spielberg's upcoming re-boot of the 1961 film version of West Side Story because it doesn't fit my opinion and/or my overall viewpoint.  I prefer the originals of older classic films, and West Side Story, for me, is definitely no exception to that.  In fact, I feel that a reboot of this film will ruin it for me unless the original 1961 film version is also made available for at least occasional showings in independent and revival movie theatres, and occasional re-releases in the mainstream theatres, instead of just being available on TV, DVD, Blu-Ray, or video.  

I also listened to the youtube video of Rachel Zegler playing "Maria" in a stage production of West Side Story, and her voice is totally overrated, as far as I'm concerned.  Her effort to apply both head and chest voice to the songs back-fired in a big way.  Not only did Zegler's voice sound really constricted, strained and forced, on the higher notes, and rather screechy and shrill, to boot, but she also went flat several times, on the higher notes.  

As for Rita Moreno's role as Valentina,  the female version of "Doc", the Candy Store owner, that role seems totally inappropriate--and wrong for her.  I can't see that being good, either. 

As a whole, I don't like the way Spielberg's re-boot of West Side Story is shaping up...period.

6 hours ago, miki said:

Here's a question for you, TopBilled;  Are you saying that you think that Steven Spielberg's upcoming re-boot of the original 1961 film version of West Side Story will subvert and/or totally suppress the original so that it'll never, ever be available except for DVD, Blu-Ray, or occasional showings on TV?  If that be that case, then that will **** me off--no end!

I think both versions can co-exist in the same market place. When TRUE GRIT was remade, it didn't make the original harder to find. 

Also, there could be a third version later of WEST SIDE STORY. Spielberg's version won't necessarily be the only remake. Look how many times Cinderella has been done, or how many times A Star Is Born has been filmed.

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I think both versions can co-exist in the same market place. When TRUE GRIT was remade, it didn't make the original harder to find. 

Also, there could be a third version later of WEST SIDE STORY. Spielberg's version won't necessarily be the only remake. Look how many times Cinderella has been done, or how many times A Star Is Born has been filmed.

Miki has mentioned that she's afraid that the original West Side Story will no longer play regularly in movie theaters. She has stated repeatedly that she has no interest in DVD/VHS/Streaming availability, as they are all rip-offs, and she's only concerned with the frequent and regular showings of the 1961 film of West Side Story disappearing from theaters due to Spielberg's remake. Yes, I know that sounds strange, as I was not aware that this film was being regularly shown in theaters, as it has not played in my area theatrically since 1961. However, wherever Miki lives, they show it a lot, apparently, and she's afraid Spielberg's remake will change that.

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Miki has mentioned that she's afraid that the original West Side Story will no longer play regularly in movie theaters. She has stated repeatedly that she has no interest in DVD/VHS/Streaming availability, as they are all rip-offs, and she's only concerned with the frequent and regular showings of the the 1961 film of West Side Story disappearing from theaters due to Spielberg's remake. Yes, I know that sounds strange, as I was not aware that this film was being regularly shown in theaters, as it has not played in my area theatrically since 1961. However, wherever Miki lives, they show it a lot, apparently, and she's afraid Spielberg's remake will change that.

Oh my. I guess I should ask a few questions here.  Like just how often is the 1961 version of WEST SIDE STORY playing in Miki's neighborhood? 

Are there are any other 1961 films still being exhibited in movie theaters across the country? This is news to me.

21 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Oh my. I guess I should ask a few questions here.  Like just how often is the 1961 version of WEST SIDE STORY playing in Miki's neighborhood? 

Are there are any other 1961 films still being exhibited in movie theaters across the country? This is news to me.

To be fair, miki wrote some nice posts on the "Musicals" page about taking a scenic drive in New England to see the film on the big screen, it makes for an interesting read.

However, a remake is not the end of the world (I probably will avoid seeing it, unless it gets really glowing reviews, and then I will wait till it is On Demand Cable.) even though it  is my favorite musical of all time.

• Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

To be fair, miki wrote some nice posts on the "Musicals" page about taking a scenic drive in New England to see the film on the big screen, it makes for an interesting read.

However, a remake is not the end of the world (I probably will avoid seeing it, unless it gets really glowing reviews, and then I will wait till it is On Demand Cable.) even though it  is my favorite musical of all time.

Yes, I don't doubt she had seen it on the big screen. But I don't think it turns up on the big screen very often, does it? 

From the mid-60s to early 80s (before the advent of cable and home video), I don't think it had any theatrical re-releases and people could only see it on network TV with commercials.

Just now, TopBilled said:

But I don't think it turns up on the big screen very often, does it? 

Not much, I have seen it maybe two times in revival theaters here in New York.

There was a memorable experience at one of them. During the overture of the film where we see this animated opening that turns into the NY skyline, the theater kept the house lights on. People started shouting "Turn off the lights". Finally the manager came out and started yelling "This is how the director Robert Wise wanted it to be shown! He won an Academy Award for it! Now will everybody be COOOOOL!" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Also to be fair, if miki were to have just said "I don't like the idea of a West Side Story remake, and will not be seeing it", that would have been perfectly fine. However, she for some reason felt it was necessary to go on lengthy tirades about it on literally a half dozen threads or more, some of which have since been deleted/combined by the Moderators, while often quoting people's responses from 6 months to a year earlier, all in a seeming attempt to "stir the pot" up once again. It comes across as either deliberate trolling or uncontrollable mania, and goes a lot further than just simply stating a dislike for the idea of a remake, and explains the (perhaps seemingly excessive) response to her in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
58 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Not much, I have seen it maybe two times in revival theaters here in New York.

There was a memorable experience at one of them. During the overture of the film where we see this animated opening that turns into the NY skyline, the theater kept the house lights on. People started shouting "Turn off the lights". Finally the manager came out and started yelling "This is how the director Robert Wise wanted it to be shown! He won an Academy Award for it! Now will everybody be COOOOOL!" 

This is such a riot, Det Jim McLeod!  Thanks for writing about it!  Btw, I've even driven to NYC on at least a couple of occasions to see a revival of the film West Side Story;  once down to the 40th year Anniversary screening of it at NYC's renowned Radio City Music Hall,  in early October of 2001, less than a month after 9/11, and the other time five years later, at roughly the same time, with a cousin of mine who then lived there, at the now de-funct Ziegfeld Cinema.  Both times were great!

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, I don't doubt she had seen it on the big screen. But I don't think it turns up on the big screen very often, does it? 

From the mid-60s to early 80s (before the advent of cable and home video), I don't think it had any theatrical re-releases and people could only see it on network TV with commercials.

Actually, TopBilled, before the advent of home video, DVD/Blu-Ray, and cable, meaning from the 1970's throughout the 1990's, I remember the film West Side Story being played here in the Boston area a number of times, on big screens, in real movie theatre, when there were more independent movie theatres in existence.  Being the fan that I am, I made sure that I got to go and see it every time it played in my area, which was as often as every 3-6 months, at times, and I still go to see it whenever it plays in a movie theatre in the Boston area.  I do watch it on TV at times, but TV, home video, and DVD/Blu-Ray aren't nearly as great an experience or as much of a treat as viewing West Side Story on a great big, wide screen, in a real movie theatre, with the lights down low, especially on the balcony of a movie theatre, to boot.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, miki said:

Actually, TopBilled, before the advent of home video, DVD/Blu-Ray, and cable, meaning from the 1970's throughout the 1990's, I remember the film West Side Story being played here in the Boston area a number of times, on big screens, in real movie theatre, when there were more independent movie theatres in existence.  Being the fan that I am, I made sure that I got to go and see it every time it played in my area, which was as often as every 3-6 months, at times, and I still go to see it whenever it plays in a movie theatre in the Boston area.  I do watch it on TV at times, but TV, home video, and DVD/Blu-Ray aren't nearly as great an experience or as much of a treat as viewing West Side Story on a great big, wide screen, in a real movie theatre, with the lights down low, especially on the balcony of a movie theatre, to boot.

Thanks for explaining. Sounds like you could write a book about how much this movie has been a part of your life!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Have you seen the play and if yes,  how many times?  (and also what leads gave the best performance?).

I ask because you say this is your favorite musical of all time and I wonder if you mean favorite musical FILM or just favorite musical, PERIOD (which implies to me one has seen various versions of the play since there isn't another FILM version).

Thanks

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Have you seen the play and if yes,  how many times?  (and also what leads gave the best performance?).

I ask because you say this is your favorite musical of all time and I wonder if you mean favorite musical FILM or just favorite musical, PERIOD (which implies to me one has seen various versions of the play since there isn't another FILM version).

Thanks

My favorite musical film, I never got to see it on stage.

7 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

My favorite musical film, I never got to see it on stage.

I have also seen West Side Story on stage several times, and have enjoyed the stage productions that I've seen.  I also saw the more up-to-date Broadway stage revival of West Side Story.   For a number of reasons that would take up too much space and too much time to mention on this forum, however,  I viewed the more up-too-date Broadway stage revival of West Side Story  with a harder, more jaundiced, and more critical eye.

9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for explaining. Sounds like you could write a book about how much this movie has been a part of your life!

Hi, TopBilled.  You're welcome.  Thank you for your compliment, and for understanding a little bit more about where I'm coming from on this.

14 hours ago, miki said:

I have also seen West Side Story on stage several times, and have enjoyed the stage productions that I've seen.  I also saw the more up-to-date Broadway stage revival of West Side Story.   For a number of reasons that would take up too much space and too much time to mention on this forum, however,  I viewed the more up-too-date Broadway stage revival of West Side Story  with a harder, more jaundiced, and more critical eye.

I find this all so interesting.     Clearly you love West Side Story as a work-of-art and NOT just a film.    There are some plays,  that were filmed,  that I also love so much I go to see them on the stage;  E.g. The Petrified Forest or Of Human Bondage.  But I also seek out non staged versions of the play (e.g. the live T.V. version of The Petrified Forest made in 1955 with Bogie, Bacall and Fonda).      Now none of these versions is as enjoyable to me as the 1936 film but I seek them out since I enjoy the source material so much.

I know you have made it clear you have no intention on seeing any 'remake' of WWS.    But that is what I find so interesting;  clearly you have interest in the play WWS and will see various versions of the play but have no interest in seeing another film version.

Hey,  to each-their-own.     I know for myself I couldn't prevent myself from seeing another film version when I love the original source material so much.   

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I find this all so interesting.     Clearly you love West Side Story as a work-of-art and NOT just a film.    There are some plays,  that were filmed,  that I also love so much I go to see them on the stage;  E.g. The Petrified Forest or Of Human Bondage.  But I also seek out non staged versions of the play (e.g. the live T.V. version of The Petrified Forest made in 1955 with Bogie, Bacall and Fonda).      Now none of these versions is as enjoyable to me as the 1936 film but I seek them out since I enjoy the source material so much.

I know you have made it clear you have no intention on seeing any 'remake' of WWS.    But that is what I find so interesting;  clearly you have interest in the play WWS and will see various versions of the play but have no interest in seeing another film version.

Hey,  to each-their-own.     I know for myself I couldn't prevent myself from seeing another film version when I love the original source material so much.   

Thank you for understanding where I'm coming from, jamesjazzguitar.  Yes, I do love the original 1961 film version of West Side Story as a work of art, as well as the musical score, the cast, the beautifully-choreographed dancing by the late Jerome Robbins, the very story behind WSS, and the cinematography,  plus the fact that the late Boris Leven seamlessly created backdrop that smartly combined on-location and soundstage scenes to make the entire backdrop of the 1961 film version of West Side Story look uncannily like a rough-and-run-down part of a large American city.  

Re-creating a musical such as West Side Story on stage is one thing.  A movie, however, especially something as beautiful as West Side Story, however, is what it is--and should be left to stand alone.  I saw the online trailer of the new re-make of Walt Disney's "Dumbo", which I did not like, at all.  I felt that watching this particular trailer re-enforced my intense dislike for re-makes of good older movies, generally, and did not increase my optimism and excitement about the upcoming re-boot of the film West Side Story.

On 3/27/2019 at 6:45 AM, TopBilled said:

I enjoyed the original 1969 version of "True Grit", which I saw when it first came out 50 years ago, and will be going to see it again, in early May, when there'll be a national 50th-year anniversary re-release of it in movie theaters throughout the United States, courtesy of  Fathom Events.  I've already got my ticket, which I printed up awhile ago.  I did not go to see the re-make of the 1969 film "True Grit", due to my distastes for re-boots of older films.  As for re-makes of older films generally, they tend to come out really dreadful.  

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, miki said:

Re-creating a musical such as West Side Story on stage is one thing.  A movie, however, especially something as beautiful as West Side Story, however, is what it is--and should be left to stand alone.  I saw the online trailer of the new re-make of Walt Disney's "Dumbo", which I did not like, at all.  I felt that watching this particular trailer re-enforced my intense dislike for re-makes of good older movies, generally, and did not increase my optimism and excitement about the upcoming re-boot of the film West Side Story.

Nothing in the trailer for the live-action Dumbo motivated me to see it either, but I think the fact that it reinforced your intense dislike of remakes generally is where you lose some of us. You won't get a whole lot of argument from me that the modern mania for remakes has resulted in many misses as well as some hits. But remakes are like any other movies in that they stand or fall on a case by case basis, each on its own merits. 

I'm intrigued by your statement that the Dumbo trailer didn't increase your "optimism and excitement" about the upcoming remake of West Side Story, since all I can recall from you over many months and different threads is intense dislike and outright disgust at the idea, vehemently stated. I'm glad that you acknowledge the possibility that there is "optimism and excitement" in some quarters, even though you don't share it.  

Miki, I have no idea anymore how you're going to take anything I have to say, but I want to acknowledge what Det Jim has said as well, that you have written glowingly and at length about your love for West Side Story in several threads of your own creation in the Musicals Forum, about your viewings at the Regal Cinema and Tanglewood. Your passion for the movie and for the moviegoing experience in general comes through clearly. But those two threads in particular don't have any responses because you've so personalized the experience that they're more like blogs than discussion threads. You come across like a blogger with no comments section, as someone who only wants to be heard, not to hear. You make definitive declarative statements, but don't back them up other than to repeat them in different words. We'd be better able to discuss all of this with you if you were more willing to have an actual discussion. Continually restating your opinions in boilerplate language doesn't help us or you to give real meaning to our feelings. There's been a good deal of back and forth on this and other threads, without much to show for it except frustration on both sides. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DougieB said:

Nothing in the trailer for the live-action Dumbo motivated me to see it either, but I think the fact that it reinforced your intense dislike of remakes generally is where you lose some of us. You won't get a whole lot of argument from me that the modern mania for remakes has resulted in many misses as well as some hits. But remakes are like any other movies in that they stand or fall on a case by case basis, each on its own merits. 

I'm intrigued by your statement that the Dumbo trailer didn't increase your "optimism and excitement" about the upcoming remake of West Side Story, since all I can recall from you over many months and different threads is intense dislike and outright disgust at the idea, vehemently stated. I'm glad that you acknowledge the possibility that there is "optimism and excitement" in some quarters, even though you don't share it.  

Miki, I have no idea anymore how you're going to take anything I have to say, but I want to acknowledge what Det Jim has said as well, that you have written glowingly and at length about your love for West Side Story in several threads of your own creation in the Musicals Forum, about your viewings at the Regal Cinema and Tanglewood. Your passion for the movie and for the moviegoing experience in general comes through clearly. But those two threads in particular don't have any responses because you've so personalized the experience that they're more like blogs than discussion threads. You come across like a blogger with no comments section, as someone who only wants to be heard, not to hear. You make definitive declarative statements, but don't back them up other than to repeat them in different words. We'd be better able to discuss all of this with you if you were more willing to have an actual discussion. Continually restating your opinions in boilerplate language doesn't help us or you to give real meaning to our feelings. There's been a good deal of back and forth on this and other threads, without much to show for it except frustration on both sides. 

I don't necessarily write for the sake of having discussions, but I do write for the sake of being heard, and either people will respond, or they won't.