Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

*Spielberg now remaking *"West side story"

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, miki said:

I don't necessarily write for the sake of having discussions, but I do write for the sake of being heard, and either people will respond, or they won't.

Dougie seems to feel that's what bloggers do. Posters on a discussion board, like this one, discuss. 

Is that what you meant Dougie? I don't want to speak for you and misinterpret!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Dougie seems to feel that's what bloggers do. Posters on a discussion board, like this one, discuss. 

Is that what you meant Dougie? I don't want to speak for you and misinterpret!

Bloggers generally write for two reasons:  to be heard and/or to hear.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, miki said:

Bloggers generally write for two reasons:  to be heard and/or to hear.  

Do you have a blog as well? Where people can read your more detailed thoughts about remakes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Dougie seems to feel that's what bloggers do. Posters on a discussion board, like this one, discuss. 

Is that what you meant Dougie? I don't want to speak for you and misinterpret!

Correct. "General Discussions" are what these topics are supposed to be about.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Do you have a blog as well? Where people can read your more detailed thoughts about remakes?

Nope.   I admittedly don't have the slightest clue or experience on how to create one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, miki said:

Nope.   I admittedly don't have the slightest clue or experience on how to create one.

It's not that difficult. Try WordPress or Blogger if you're interested.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2019 at 4:24 AM, TopBilled said:

It's not that difficult. Try WordPress or Blogger if you're interested.

Thanks, TopBilled.  How much would it cost to create my own blog on WordPress or Blogger?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a general observation related to the topic of remakes and their impact. I do notice that when conducting a search on Google or on IMDb for a film that invariably (if it was remade), the links to the remake, or about the remake come out on top or dominate the first page while the link to the original gets buried as if it didn't exist. I does get frustrating. I'm sure it's because of the curiosity of the public, interest in the new thing that drives up the hits which results in the remake topping a list.

The search engines should be configured to always give more weight to the original.

BTW on a related subject the IMDb search engine must be configured to filter out some film titles. I'll notice that a search on IMDb's main page for certain titles brings up nothing, but a similar search on Google will bring up the IMDb page for the same film.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, miki said:

Thanks, TopBilled.  How much would it cost to create my own blog on WordPress or Blogger?  

There's no cost if you use one of the basic templates they provide. Meaning they can place ads in between some of your text. Otherwise they have different payment plans for blogs without ads, that come with other design features.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2019 at 9:22 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Thanks to you more and more people will be seeing the new adaptation of West Side Story.  

Steven is thankful for all the attention you are bringing to his new project. 

 

How the hell do you know, jamesjazzguitar?  How about just speaking for yourself on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, miki said:

How the hell do you know, jamesjazzguitar?  How about just speaking for yourself on this?

Steven told me.   

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why not a remake of CE3K? neary comes back 30 or 40 years later and his wife and kids look at him like a pile of rancid tapioca wanting an explanation for knowingly deserting them.

let spitberg make that one

:lol:

"Roy, I came back here after your disappearance and had all the landscaping you destroyed repaired."

Image result for teri garr close encounters third kind

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2019 at 2:34 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Steven told me.   

Yeh, right!  Ha ha ha ha ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, miki said:

Yeh, right!  Ha ha ha ha ha!

He hasn't called you yet?     Well the call is coming.    He told me that he was going to hire you to be in charge of PR for the movie since you love the source material so much!

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2019 at 6:01 AM, cigarjoe said:

The search engines should be configured to always give more weight to the original.

 

Thanks for a good point that makes a lot of sense, cigarjoe.  As I posted on another post on this thread, I don't plan on going to see the re-boot of West Side Story, but I think that the original should also be available for showing in movie theaters, as well.  I don't believe that people (such as myself and many others) who really love the 1961 film version of West Side Story should be deprived of a choice to see the original film in the movie theatres, instead of just on TV, Netflix (which no longer carries WSS), on DVD, video, or Blu-Ray.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

He hasn't called you yet?     Well the call is coming.    He told me that he was going to hire you to be in charge of PR for the movie since you love the source material so much!

 

Ha! James, you reminded me of in the Thin Man when the annoying Wynant son is pestering the detectives about seeing a dead body and irritated, they reply "Don't worry. Don't call us. WE'LL CALL YOU!" and then they roll their eyes at him. :lol: 

7853-19339.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2019 at 4:08 PM, sagebrush said:

Not that my opinion means anything, but I think Miss Zegler has a very nice Broadway-style voice.

I know the role of Maria is generally played by an opera trained soprano, but who says it must be?

Thinking back to the film version of KISMET, as an example, Delores Gray did a fantastic job in the role of Lalume. She was not an opera trained mezzo soprano and the role was written for a mezzo (like Joan Diener, who originated the role on Broadway) but performed the songs in her own style, and was wonderful!

Joan Diener as Lalume:

Delores Gray as Lalume:

 

The part of Maria should be trained by a somewhat older, more operatically trained soprano, not by a young kid whose vocal cords aren't yet completely mature and developed, and who thereby risks doing a good deal of damage to her vocal cords because of that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, miki said:

The part of Maria should be trained by a somewhat older, more operatically trained soprano, not by a young kid whose vocal cords aren't yet completely mature and developed, and who thereby risks doing a good deal of damage to her vocal cords because of that.

I'm not against a remake in theory but I do agree with you that the score should stay as close to the original operetta-like orchestral score as possible. One of Bernstein's major gripes with On the Town from 1949 was that they changed the whole thing on him and added pop music into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 4:55 PM, Gershwin fan said:

I'm not against a remake in theory but I do agree with you that the score should stay as close to the original operetta-like orchestral score as possible. One of Bernstein's major gripes with On the Town from 1949 was that they changed the whole thing on him and added pop music into it.

To be honest, Gershwin, I  am opposed to a re-make in theory, especially when it comes to a film such as West Side Story,  but I think that if a re-make is to take place, more weight should be given to the original film version of West Side Story by the search engines, as well.  It would be good if they'd show both of them in movie theatres, in order to give people a choice of what version(s) of the film West Side Story they want to watch, instead of just having to watch the original West Side Story on DVD, Blu-Ray, TV, video, or Netflix (which, btw, no longer streams West Side Story.).  I don't plan on going to see Spielberg's re-boot of West Side Story, but here's hoping that the musical score isn't too hip-hop, pop, or rap-filled.

Also, Gershwin fan, what I said about the part of Maria being better played by a woman who's at least in her twenties,  has a better-trained soprano voice that she has control over still stands.  I have listened to Rachel Zegler on youtube, and she seems to really be straining and/or going flat on a good many of the high notes, at least in part because she's not really a soprano.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...