Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen And Much Appreciation!

As I think I might have mentioned in the Opening Salvo (gosh that seems so long ago and at the same time it went by way too fast) I feel like I was born in the wrong era, a sentiment that others likewise expressed.  We have such a fondness for classic musicals and the songs that came from them. Through this course we have developed an even greater appreciation for the songs of the “Great American Songbook” the composers, and all the great performers and studio and cinema artists who captured it on film for the viewing pleasure of the audiences of the day.  Wonder if they knew all these decades later we would be deriving the same pleasure, not to mention studying them.

I posted this in response to Mariaki’s topic “LaLa Land, Anyone?” in which some denigrate the singing and dancing of Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.
True, Ryan and Emma were no Eleanor and Fred.  But it's like Frank Sinatra said in That's Entertainment (referring to their Begin the Beguine number?  "You can sit around and hope but you'll never see the likes of this again."  However we can appreciate the efforts of all who keep the musical genre alive.

Broadway Melody of 1940

Image result for broadway melody of 1940

With that said I’d like to express my sincere thanks to TCM and a big round of applause to Dr. Vanessa Theme Ament, Dr. Wes Gehring, Dr. Richard Edwards, and Gary Rydstrom; to Ball University and the staff who put all their time and expertise in developing and presenting the course!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1