Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If I Were a Guest Programer on TCM

I was just reflecting upon the novel idea of which four films I would choose for TCM if somehow I were selected as a guest programer for an evening's entertainment.

Here are my choices:

Oh! What a Lovely War (1969)

The Charge of the Light Brigade (1968)

Breaker Morant (1969)

Paths of Glory (1957)

Why those particular picks? As a cinemaphile these happen to be four of my favorite films which I do not believe have had the exposure they deserve to younger audiences or recent TCM viewers.

As a history teacher I chose each of the films because they relate to actual historical events, more specifically they each depict the folly and insanity of war.

Each has an incomparable cast of actors. The first two a shinning cavalcade of the finest stars of the British cinema of the late 1960s. Breaker Morant is a surperb product of Australian filmmaking, and Paths of Glory is one of director Stanley Kubrick's finest masterpieces.

I would love to see them run concurrently one evening on TCM whether I'm there as guest programer or not.

A history teacher? Great. My daughter wants to be one.

TCM has helped with some of these films. The last three have been shown on occasion. "Paths of Glory" is an Essentials this year. It should show up again this summer.

"Oh, What A Lovely War" has been on Retroplex. Good stuff.

The four films I would pick would be:

A Day At the Races(1937)-This is my favorite Marx Brothers movie.

Hoosiers(1986) The best sports film ever and a really good look at small town life

The Outlaw Josey Wales-I think it's Clint's best movie.

Lawrence of Arabia-A beautiful movie, epic and thrilling.

Let's see...any four?

1. The Lacemaker, a French film by Claude Goretta. Heartbreaking--- about a not too bright but very sweet woman who finds love and then loses it.

2. Treasure of Sierra Madre---a great movie about human nature and the randomness of life.

3. Duck Soup---the Marx Bros at their best. The bit with the mirror is literally hilarious. Great theme of the absurdity of war.

4. City Lights---Chaplin was a genius, of course, but this movie touches my heart and makes me laught at the same time.

Message was edited by: Buck18

This is kind of a hard decision, but the four movies I'd pick if I had the opportunity to be a guest programmer are:

- Philadelphia Story- I love the banter. It is just so much fun.

- I Confess- Not Hitchcock's best, but visually it is well done.

- For Me and My gal- You just can't get any better than Garland and Kelly.

- Kitty Foyle- Proves once and for all that Ginger was an amazing actor.

1. Will Penny 1968 Charlton Heston and Joan Hackett

2. The Verdict 1982 Paul Newman

3. True Confessions 1981 Robert De Niro and Robert Duvall

4. Abandon Ship! 1957 Tyrone Power

By the way, I once worked for a major Fortune 500 company that used one of its factors of hiring asking the question: please list your two favorite movies.

How do I know? The Human Resources lady liked me...

Eh, all those choices have been on TV ad nauseum. If I were guest programmer, I'd choose films not often seen, to try to open up the movie lover's horizons.

1. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanaam

A sweet film that showcases typical Bollywood themes of destiny, honesty, plot twists and plenty of music and beautiful costumes & locations.

2. Free Enterprise

Another "newer" coming of age type film. Very humorous look at sci fi geeks and how they cope with adulthood. William Shatner in his best role.

3. Targets

Bogdanovitch is my personal favorite filmmaker, interesting to see his talents early on.

4. The Jungle Princess

Dorothy Lamour/Ray Milland flick that is perfectly described by title. Just cute, fun & rare to see.

Oh yeah, plus I'd have assorted rare shorts & cartoons sprinkled in between....just like the real theater experience! The SNAFU cartoons & Houdini serials come to mind.

Message was edited by: TikiSoo

I'd pick four films I often saw on TV as a kid, but are hardly ever shown anymore:

1. Adventures in Silverado (1948)

2. The Phenix City Story (1955)

3. The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956)

4. The Big Circus (1959)

> {quote:title=HarlowFan wrote:}{quote}

> Tikisoo, The ones that I chose are some of the best ever made....With some of the best stars of all time...Many people would agree!

Yes, HarlowFan, everyone would agree. I wasn't knocking your choices in particular. It's just if *I* were guest programmer, I wouldn't choose films that have been shown on regular rotation. What I would call "commonly seen" classic movies.

Granted, Hollywood films are some of the best ever made, but so many Americans never look past their own borders.

I love the fact that TCM shows films in other catagories than "mainstream classic", like Underground, Silent Sundays and the like. I have seen some pretty obscure gems. Maybe not always the best films, granted, but interesting for the film fan wanting to see the whole picture.

A guest programer, in my opinion, would be best to choose films that might open other movie lover's horizons a bit.