Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stars Keeping Fit?

I remember seeing a short a long time ago about how stars stayed fit before.. I think around the 30s-40s? It seems that as standards have changed, stars of today are much much thinner (women) and more buff (leading men) than the old Hollywood stars. How did stars stay fit before?

I'm not sure, but this brings to mind all the gym scenes in the oldies. The old giggling strap around the butt. The medicine ball (I think that is what they call it) being tossed around. Women doing bust exercises. These type of scenes always make me grin and I assume they were based on what was "in" for the times.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sabesy ~ Hi! I was looking through the old topics and have to respond to one or two. ;) That's an easy question - vanity was in it's lowest forms back then. These days, it's like you can never be pretty enough... even if you're a knockout. People are killing themselves to be perfect.

Back then in the good ole days I think vanity existed, but people it wasn't so extreme..yet. I was looking at an old photo of Jean Harlow recently in a full-length swimsuit, and she looked beautiful. But I have to say (sadly), and I was thinking this as I looked at the picture: "by today's standards people would be calling her chubby." :( She wasn't. She was curvy. I wish standards for women were a little more like they were back then. Now I'll bet I could pull off Jean's body, if I worked out some more. LOL... But Halle Berry's? Forget it. :P And back then curves were just fine. I wish I had that picture. I think it might be located at Jean's Platinum Blonde site. http://harlow.teamviola.com/

> I remember seeing a short a long time ago about how

> stars stayed fit before.. I think around the 30s-40s?

> It seems that as standards have changed, stars of

> today are much much thinner (women) and more buff

> (leading men) than the old Hollywood stars. How did

> stars stay fit before?

On the other hand,some of the stars,especially of the Thirties/early Forties era,were just tiny,both in stature and proportion. I read that some of Vivien Leigh's costumes in a museum had 18 inch waists. And a lot of the women in Thirties movies looked really tiny,and streamlined. They look to me like their Art Deco ideals,or like greyhounds. I always mention the low-slung rears that so many had(Barbara Stanwyck,Joan Crawford),because it seems especially characteristic.It makes me wonder,do even body shapes somehow change with the passing styles,LOL.It seems so many of them were naturally smaller at that time-different diet,especially as children(ie Depression fare)?

Well back then, there wasn't a McDonald's on every corner, either. LOL ;):P ....

> On the other hand,some of the stars,especially of the

> Thirties/early Forties era,were just tiny,both in

> stature and proportion. I read that some of Vivien

> Leigh's costumes in a museum had 18 inch waists. And

> a lot of the women in Thirties movies looked really

> tiny,and streamlined. They look to me like their Art

> Deco ideals,or like greyhounds. I always mention the

> low-slung rears that so many had(Barbara

> Stanwyck,Joan Crawford),because it seems especially

> characteristic.It makes me wonder,do even body shapes

> somehow change with the passing styles,LOL.It seems

> so many of them were naturally smaller at that

> time-different diet,especially as children(ie

> Depression fare)?

And a lot of them really worked at it-I've read that Joan Crawford got up at the crack of the dawn,donned sweats,and had her chuaffer follow her while she jogged for miles through the hills. And my girl Norma Shearer was a swimmer,swam laps everyday(I knew there was a reason I liked her,swimming is my favorite outdoor activity:)) And she was an excellent diver.

The scenes from the movie "The Women" always crack me up,when it shows Rosalind Russell and Joan Fontaine doing their exercises.It reminds me of Sixties gym classes."Crawl slowly up the wall...",LOL!And the martial music!

And that Stouffer's ... LOL

Anyway, from the comments the ladies made in their movies, like Stage Door, etc., they most likely lived on salad and water. In today's society ladies might be more apt to eat what they enjoy, but realize they'll have to work out harder to keep it from showing up on their figures.

Then there's Jack Palance ...

Dini

The top actresses today probably weigh more than many of the actresses of the '40s. I would guess it is because weight training is popular now among women and muscle increases the number on the scale. I doubt thin actresses of the past like Veronica Lake, or Barbara Stanwyck ever lifted a weight. One of the reporters who interviewed Stanwyck in the '40s commented on how her menu choices were coffee and cigarettes during the day and steak and veggies for dinner.