Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

romantic comedies

Welcome to the boards, birchkitty. Of the modern versions of romantic comedies, my favorite's probably "Four Weddings and a Funeral". My favorite classic romantic comedy is probably "Adam's Rib", since the intelligent battle of the sexes always makes me smile.

You might enjoy checking out the Romantic Comedies folder listed under the Genre Forums toward the bottom of the Welcome page. The discussions are a lot of fun and include such topics as "favorite romantic couples"--my favorite, by the way--no surprise--is Tracy and Hepburn. What's yours?

Yes--welcome, birchkitty! Although, usually, romance is best when there's tragedy mixed in with it, I don't mind a romantic comedy from time to time, and, being the Hedy Lamarr nut I am, I'd say the romantic comedy I like best is Come Live With Me.

Welcome Birchkitty! Romantic Comedy is one of my very favorite Genre's, and among the many I adore for one reason or another, I most enjoy "Ball of Fire" (1941), "The Quiet Man" (1952), "Pat & Mike" (1952), "Forever Darling" (1956), "The Taming of the Shrew" (1967), and "Murphy's Romance" (1985). And, I also enjoy "Pretty Woman". ML

Romantic comedies are my favorite. Some of the many favorites I have along with those listed already are:

Vivacious Lady, Remember the Night, Easy Living, Bachalor Mother, Destry Rides Again, Holiday. There are so many more on my list but I'll stop with these. As for modern day movies: Roxanne, While You Were Sleeping, You've Got Mail, Jerry McGuire.

fave classic romantic comedies: The Philadelpia Story, Bringing Up Baby, almost anything with Cary Grant!

fave modern romantic comedies: When Harry Met Sally, Bridget Jones' Diary, Moonstruck, Roxanne, pretty much anything with Hugh Grant!

Hmmm...must be something about having the name Grant that makes a man charming! LOL!

Sandy K

hey everyone, I'm new to the boards and i was snoopin around for a topic to jump in on and this one caught my eye:) im 18, in college- music ed. major HUGE audrey hepburn fan, not that ya'll needed to know that ;-) anyways id have to say An Affair to Remember (Grant, Kerr) is my favorite romantic comedy- only because its one of the best "chick flicks' ive ever seen..definate tear jerker but, other than that id have to say..oh gosh, charades a good one- i think someone mentioned that one already ..aand, b.a.t of course..oh i cant choose :( anyway, i dont really know how it works around here..so if anyone has any pointers on gettin around the boards id really apprecaite it :)

Welcome aboard ahclassicfan5429!

I just LOVE romantic comedies! Here are some of my all time favorites: "The Shop Around the Corner", "It Happened One Night", "My Man Godfrey", "Bringing Up Baby", "Come Live with Me", "Libeled Lady", "Third Finger, Left Hand", "My Favorite Wife", "The Philadelphia Story", "Holiday", "The Talk of the Town", "Ball of Fire", "The Awful Truth", "Bachelor Mother"--WHEW! I could just keep goin'!

As for modern day romantic comedies: "Bridget Jones' Diary","Moonstruck", "Four Weddings and a Funeral", "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain" (think I feel the same way about Cary Grant and Hugh Grant as sandykaypax does *grin*), "The Princess Bride" (guilty pleasure), "As Good As it Gets", "Frankie & Johnny"--probably more but I'm gonna call it quits for now!

I love some of the titles mentioned, like An Affair to Remember, Ball of Fire and Shop Around the Corner, although I admit that I don't go back to them as often as I do the "arty"/fantasy-style romances. My favorite screen romance is Peter Ibbetson (a nearly-forgotten Gary Cooper film - how did that happen?), and I finally got around to writing to Paramount recently, requesting an official release of it (they only accept suggestions through snail mail). I also like to go back often to romance mixed with some great music and dancing, like An American in Paris and The Red Shoes.

There are a couple of other very slightly gritty modern romantic comedies starring Hugh Grant that you might enjoy if you haven't seen them:

"Notting Hill" (though he's way too good for Julia Roberts' character in this one)

"About a Boy" (funny and quite touching relationship between Grant and Nicholas Hoult's character. Hugh Grant's lovely, floppy hair is shorn here, alas.)

"Love Actually" (people either love it or loathe it. i loved it)

ML: The superb Criterion Collection has the Red Shoes on an absolutely *gorgeous* DVD. I had only seen it once **years** ago when I was a little kid (and was consequently frightened of wearing red shoes for quite some time, as you can imagine :) ) and bought it when I saw that it was a part of the Criterion's DVD Collection. (In my opinion, Criterion delivers the most impressively presented DVDs for classic movies). It's a bit pricey, but worth every penny because that film is wonderful!

Hmmm... romantic comedies... well, aside from the obvious ones ("Bringing Up Baby", "It Happened One Night," and the other like films that defined this genre) "Ninotchka" has always been a favorite romantic comedy of mine. Preston Sturges' "The Lady Eve" was a big one with me as well as his "Sullivan's Travels"... I've viewed "Annie Hall" with many different friends but I seem to be the only one laughs at the jokes-- I love that film-- and while I'm on the subject of Allen, remember "The Purple Rose of Cairo"??

(oh and Moirafinnie: I'm one of the ones who adored 'Love Actually' -- and the fact I saw it *in* London this past November makes it a film all the more special to me...)

ilikehughgrantverymuchandthoughthisacting in aboutaboywas veryentertaining. i usemoviesforpureescape,although ijustwatchedlostintranslationandenjoyeditimmenslyespeciallytallthesubtlemeanings.Iam84andwanttolaughasmuchasicanandhavefoundromanticcomediesagreathelpwhen youarealone

Hello Birchkitty, 84 years old, wow! Welcome! What are some of your favorite romantic comedies? Can you tell me the first movie you saw at the theater? I only ask because I'm hoping you were seeing first run films from the thirties and 40's and that would be very cool. Thank you in advance if you would share some of your experiences.

• 1 month later...

sorry for the delay but the computer has not been conquered. suggest a movie for me to watch and and i will give you my opinion. i see everything even the body language. i even notice how the pictures are arranged. my favorite romantic comedy is pretty woman-the first movie i watched in 50 years and now i am a movie addict. you can always forget the world for two hours. please write back.

kitty

Snap out of it! Yeah, Moonstruck was pretty good. The Lady Eve. I can't believe someone said that. I saw that when I was a kid, and loved it. It was the first Stanwyck movie I saw. The next time I saw her she was playing a cold, calculating broad and I was shocked!

These were all good movies, but the formula for the best romantic comedy is to add some Sinatra to the mix.

By the way, did anyone say Sleepless in Seattle? Tisc, tisc.

Kitty! It's so wonderful to have you back with us again! Mongo and I have been wondering where you were! I love the romantic comedies, too, and "Pretty Woman" is one of my all time favorites! Please keep posting...we've missed you!

And what on earth is wrong with this thread? I'm having to scroll across the whole screen to read it. :) ML