Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
metz44

10 clues to movie

3. Oscar-winning actress in the lead (and she was nominated for this role); a variety of Oscar nominations, one win; based on a novel by a popular English writer who did not like the film adaptation

That?s the one, and it stars the divine Dame Maggie. Hadn?t seen it before & recorded it when it was on TCM the other day?great work, again, Frank. The thread is yours?

Thank you eve. I had remembered Graham Greene being quoted about his displeasure with this film upon its release. Okay....

Clue 1: During the cold war a nuclear physicist is quietly collecting secrets which he intends to sell to an unmentioned foreign power.

Sorry finance not Torn Curtain.

Clue 2: He takes up in a rundown building in New York City. The surrounding tenants do not have much to say to each other - even the sexy woman who lives down the hallway, who flirts with him. Maybe it is better that things are left unsaid.

If there is a lack of conversation throughout, I?ll guess *The Thief* with Ray Milland?by the way, in my last clue for *Travels With My Aunt* I noted that Maggie Smith was an Oscar winner and was nominated her *Aunt* role as well ? my mention of ?a variety of nominations, one win? was a reference to *Travels With My Aunt*, not Maggie?

Thanks, Frank?let?s see how ?tough? this one is?

1. This movie is populated by grotesques, toadies & every sort of fool

Great guesses, but no...

2. A successful man loathes the very people who have propelled him to the heights he?s achieved

Good guess?not the right film (though it applies to another thread waiting for an answer?)

3. He runs into an old pal from school who?s now a cabbie?among others

These are all excellent guesses, but so far?no?here?s clue #4

4. In glorious black & white?but b&w was all but over by the time this film was made

Good guess, but it?s not *The Loved One*

6. He worries a lot?about life?about his work?about women?