Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Love ... Sound?

I realize the music was recorded live for Love, but why is the sound so bad? On my set it seems really muffled, indistinct and quiet. I like that the music is non-interventionist - haven't turned it off so far, like I usually do - but is there some kind of technical issue in play?

spadeneal

spadeneal,

I did not notice any audio trouble out of the normal. However, the sound in general on TCM has been sub-par for weeks and weeks here? I do not know why? Has anyone else been having this trouble? I mean it has not been good, most of the time. It was simply horrible during IRMA L'**** this morning.

Unfortunately, this recorded live score to LOVE is a bit of a clunker. It just keeps repeating the same few melodies over and over again, with no real context! This film definitely needs a different score. It's sad because most of the print is outstanding pictorial quality

For some reason, this movie has never been one of my favorites. It seems relatively dull next to FLESH AND THE DEVIL, or A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS. Although, some of this impression might be due to the live audience noise, and the disappointing score. Given better music, and no background distractions, I might like the film much better? I just don't know?

On Robert Osborne's comment's, John Gilbert who had just signed a Million and a Half Dollar contract in 1926, had to be making more than $10,000 a week. I mean Chaplin was making that amount in 1916! In addition, Colleen Moore's salary at First National was $12, 500 per week at the same time! I seriously doubt that She was higher paid than Gilbert! Also it should be noted that according to Thames HOLLYWOOD, Gilbert actually Directed about half of LOVE, but did not receive the on-screen credit.

there's been a long standing "battle" over the volume issues with TCM as I've seen in other threads with TCM blaming cable carriers and the cablers blaming TCM....I don't watch much TV but when I flip on a local TV station the volume is blaringly loud.... WHY is the real question. It's maddening to have to turn the volume up full blast just to hear a film.

What I found annoying was the coughing and laughter at often inappropriate points in the movie by the audience. I had no idea this film's score was recorded live, and at first I thought I was hearing things until I got my husband to listen and he confirmed what I thought I was hearing.

I've bought a few films from the Great Lakes Cinephile... a very nice product with music recorded LIVE during the showing of the film in some great old theater, BUT there are coughers there too....

Worse than coughers, laughers or even whining children, is the arrogant know-everything who must loudly proclaim his superiority to the people, attitudes and times onscreen. He's deathly afraid that he may be mistaken for approving of what he's being subjected to, so it's his obligation to help the dumb sheep audience become politically sensitive and aware by just how enlightened he is.

In the dark, where you can't see them, he may suddenly believe he's actually in the 1920's, and his mission is to educate the poor primitives as to their cultural shortcomings.

This experience has befallen me several times in the past few years, in theatrical showings hundreds of miles apart. The worst part is that there's apparently nothing to stop them. You can't put your hands on them, so theatres and school showings just suffer them until they stop. It didn't used to be this way.

Love does have irritating laughing the in the background, it is a disgrace, to both Garbo and Gilbert that there movie is so ruined, but I love it anyhow, but in praise of TCM, they did show the original ending where Ms. Garbo dies, as she does in Anna Karenina the sound version made later on.

johnbabe,

Don't worry, if this movie were to be released on DVD, I am sure that they will have the live score replaced. I am working on a different score myself. Did you read my review of John Gilbert's THE COSSACKS?