Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies You Watch Over and Over

MissGoddess

Are there any films you never tire of watching repeatedly over the years...or used to? I can see a favorite constantly even at the expense of a stack of "new" titles waiting to be watched. Here is a rough list of my most watched movies, though I cannot but guess how often I've seen them (and I'm sure I'll think of more):

1. Charade

2. The Misfits

3. Gone With the Wind

4. Breakfast at Tiffany's (though it's been a couple of years since I last saw it)

5. The Tamarind Seed

6. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

7.. Laura

8. How to Marry a Millionaire

9. The Thin Man

10. Sabrina

11. Love in the Afternoon

12. Roman Holiday

13. Indiscreet

14. An Affair to Remember

15. Ninotchka

16. The Philadelphia Story

17. Sylvia (1965)

18. Rio Bravo (amazingly, my first Western entry comes in pretty low, but that's because westerns have only caught up with the rest of my film watching tastes in the past five years or so, before that they were only an occasional indulgence)

19. All About Eve

20. Mogambo

Gary Cooper? John Ford? Like westerns, they've become more recent favorites so they still have catching up to do. But they're getting there.

What a sappy-girly list that is. Are you some kind of ALL GIRL or something, Miss Summer Orange?

When are you leaving again? :P

I used to watch movies. :D

I'll see if I can compose my list.

So what are the Coop/Ford films you watch the most? I'm not asking for your favorites, but the ones you like to watchy.

Mostly I watch westerns over again. In no particular order -

1 - Silverado

2 - The Searchers

3 - The Man From Laramie

4 - She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

5 - Conagher (I know it's a made for cable but... I like it, I like it.)

Then I watch comedies -

1 - The Marx Brothers

2 - Laurel and Hardy

3 - Mr. Blandings

4 - Palm Beach Story

5 - You Can't Take It With You

Hi Chris! Comedies are blessedly easy to rewatch and sometimes only a Bob Hope/Laurel & Hardy or Marx Brothers comedy can put a smile on my face. Or maybe "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "I Love Lucy"---but TV rerunning is another can of worms. :)

Westerns are fast becoming the movie type I watch as much as romantic dramas.

The westerns that I have so far seen the most often are:

Rio Bravo

The Far Country

Man of the West

The Hanging Tree

Angel and the Bad Man

Rio Grande

Shane

Fort Apache

High Noon

The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance are really too intense for me to watch too frequently.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Do you think there are any Coop and Ford films on my list? I know that you know what remarkable taste I do possess.

Not a single solitary one. I even wonder if anything made before 1960 will be on your list.

I don't watch movies "over and over" but there is one instance about 5-10 years ago when I watched Where Angels Fear to Tread seven times in ten days. I was obsessed with how good this movie is. It's one of the Masterpiece Theatre-types (in fact, it actually ran on MT though it wasn't produced for it), based on E. M. Forster's first novel. Beautifully told story, the scenes unfold seamlessly, Portman's music is traditional but very moving in the way is integrated with the action, great acting (Helen Mirren, Helena B Carter, Judy Davis, among others) the whole bit, but I was especially taken with the direction (Charles Sturridge), which is absolutely flawless in my view. Students of film should see this. There are no super grand events that end the story but Sturridge somehow manages to do a great deal with it. Watching this movie is like listening to a great piece of music. There is nothing wasted here, every scene is necessary, there are no bridges or fillers. Just a beautiful movie. During my blitz viewings I would get my tea or whatever and start the movie and my eyes would not leave the screen because I wanted to fully appreciate the continuity. Like music.

My only complaint is a technical one, the recording of the dialogue is poor and it is difficult to hear what the actors are saying sometimes. Earphones or closed captions are recommended although the latter can ruin the visual aspect. Maybe the sound problem is better with the DVD. I'll get this from NetF and find out. I need a fix anyway.

I often watch Hitchcock films especially Suspicion, Foreign Correspondent, Rebecca, and Under Capricorn. I also often watch Lubitsch films like The Shop around the Corner, A Royal Scandal, To be or not to be, Ninotchka, Heaven Can Wait, and Trouble in Paradise. I also often watch Arsenic and Old Lace, Laura, And then there were none, and Harvey.

Groundhog Day (OK, that was a joke)

12 Angry Men

North by Northwest

The Thing

Them

A Night at the Opera

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

The Adventures of Robin Hood

The Mark of Zorro

Rudy

It Happens Every Spring

When I was kid I used to watch movies over and over in the theater. Films like *The Poseidon Adventure.* Oh well when your ten there is no accounting for taste. :)

I agree that good comedies are especially easy to watch repeatedly. I don't really watch movies over in a short time span but over the years I keep going back to quite a lot of films.

A partial list:

King Kong - 1933

Out of the Past

Macao

Double Indemnity

His Kind of Woman

In A Lonely Place

The Thin Man Films

Love Crazy

Early Universal Horror Films - Every October. It's a theme month for me.

Rio Bravo

Tall in the Saddle

Harvey

Most of the Preston Sturges comedies

Hope and Crosby Road pictures

My Favorite Brunette

The Paleface

The Band Wagon

Astaire and Rogers films

early Warner's musicals

Fox Forties musicals

Mutiny on the Bounty - 1935

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Airplane!

I have to stop but the list could go on even longer. I haven't even touched on James Cagney films or silent films or The Marx Brothers... aaahh!! I have to stop. :)

hey sweet april!!

another list to answer to, oh goodie!

beauty and the beast (my parents said i watched this movie every single day, maybe twice a day when i was really little, and still do!)

the toy tiger

margie

rachel and the stranger

third finger, left hand

many rivers to cross

naughty marietta

two weeks with love

seven brides for seven brothers

thoroughly modern millie

pride and prejudice

valley of decision

donovan's treef

breakfast at tiffany's

abbott and costello in naughty nineties

pillow to post

along came jones

random harvest

the hanging tree

rio grande

my fair lady

anchors aweigh

bathing beauties

on the double

laura

rebecca

father goose

the harvey girls

girl crazy

apple dumpling gang

presenting lily mars

in a lonely place

the thin man

I don't own a lot of movies but there are a few I'll watch on TCM anytime they're on and I'm not sleepy.

Gone with the Wind

All This, and Heaven Too (really just about any Bette Davis movie)

Best Years of Our Lives

Wizard of Oz

The Grand Illusion (oh, how I wish that Jean Gabin would get a tribute on this channel even though some folks don't like foreign films)

The other movies I'll watch repeatedly, even on commercial TV.

The Godfather 1 & 2

Blazing Saddles (one of the few I actually own and can practically quote from memory)

Waiting for Guffman (own this one, too)

Napoleon Dynamite

Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle

I didn't say I have the best taste in the world. In fact, I should be ashamed of myself, especially on that last one but I kind of like stoner movies. For the last 10 years, I'd have to say that most of the recent movies I watch are comedies, with the occasional Oscar nominee thrown in. Mostly, I just want to laugh because life is so serious that I need that.

Hi April:

Your not watching "The Searchers" and such because of their intensity is part of the reason I don't watch too many dramas too often. Some I find really smart and watch because I expect to find things I missed or I enjoy a particular performance. I don't watch them a lot but things like "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" and "12 Angry Men," "How Green Was My Valley" are really well done.

I like action films for the same reasons I like westerns. The Bond films. "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (along with Flynn high seas adventures.) A few war films and a few musicals but it pales compared to the westerns and comedies.

> {quote:title=konway87 wrote:}{quote}

> I often watch Hitchcock films especially Suspicion, Foreign Correspondent, Rebecca, and Under Capricorn. I also often watch Lubitsch films like The Shop around the Corner, A Royal Scandal, To be or not to be, Ninotchka, Heaven Can Wait, and Trouble in Paradise. I also often watch Arsenic and Old Lace, Laura, And then there were none, and Harvey.

Hi Konway!

With the exception of Under Capricorn, which I've only seen once, and A Royal Scandal which I've never seen, I have watched all of those movies quite frequently. Oh, and Heaven Can Wait---I have only seen it three times.

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> Groundhog Day (OK, that was a joke)

>

> 12 Angry Men

> North by Northwest

> The Thing

> Them

> A Night at the Opera

> Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

> The Adventures of Robin Hood

> The Mark of Zorro

> Rudy

> It Happens Every Spring

:D

North by Northwest made it to my own list by virtue of the fact it reruns on TCM so often. Rudy is one I'm not familiar with.

Hi Molo,

I've seen most of those on your list more than three times AT LEAST. It's scary. I'm glad I don't know the exact number of times I've watched my movies---it would be a sad commentary on how I spend my time! :P

I find all those you named highly re-watchable. Nice to see lots of Bob Hope. He is so pleasantly pleasant to have around.

Theresa, you win the prize for most eclectic list by a teenager. Naughty Marietta and In a Lonely Place, you are something. And those movies that I've rarely seen you've watched many times, like Margie and Many Rivers to Cross.

Hi Helen---I agree that life is serious enough so sometimes a comedy is the only thing I'll watch, no matter how silly it is. I have watched Penelope and all the Doris Day Rock Hudson movies scores of times, so they belong on my list, too.

And I might add that despite owning many of these movies on dvd or tape, I still will watch them when they come on TCM or elsewhere.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Hi April:

>

> Your not watching "The Searchers" and such because of their intensity is part of the reason I don't watch too many dramas too often. Some I find really smart and watch because I expect to find things I missed or I enjoy a particular performance. I don't watch them a lot but things like "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" and "12 Angry Men," "How Green Was My Valley" are really well done.

>

> I like action films for the same reasons I like westerns. The Bond films. "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (along with Flynn high seas adventures.) A few war films and a few musicals but it pales compared to the westerns and comedies.

Hi Chris,

The serious movies I rewatch tend to have a strong romantic story line or a character I admire or identify with. Otherwise, I put them in the Searchers category or the "too depressing" category where once in a loooong while is plenty.

Errol Flynn pictures will always get my attention. TCM aired some of his more obscure ones recently on a day my cable was out and I was so disappointed.