Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

26 Letters - 26 A-Z favorite movies

What five of mine have you seen?

I only used the first movie you listed for each letter, you little cheater, you. :P

Dial M For Murder

Jamaica Inn

The Magnificent Seven

The Road To Utopia

Vertigo

I've seen more of your "others":

The Awful Truth

Casablanca

Gaslight

His Girl Friday

Laura

Notorious

The Odd Couple

Pride And Prejudice

Shadow Of A Doubt

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> What five of mine have you seen?

>

> I only used the first movie you listed for each letter, you little cheater, you. :P

Whatevah!

> Dial M For Murder

> Jamaica Inn

> The Magnificent Seven

> The Road To Utopia

> Vertigo

>

> I've seen more of your "others":

>

> The Awful Truth

> Casablanca

> Gaslight

> His Girl Friday

> Laura

> Notorious

> The Odd Couple

> Pride And Prejudice

> Shadow Of A Doubt

But they were all tied! And do you seriously admit to seeing "Pride And Prejudice"? Amazing! LOL!

Hey Frank,

We both seem to have similar tastes ! :) I couldve easily have picked some of your A-Z as mine but my longevity is with horror/scifi. As much as I liked Asphalt Jungle , I chose Alien as Ive seen it more times & its just a superior horror...same thing with M, a great Fritz Lang film, but Maltese Falcon to me really sprang into my top 10 after 2 viewings...

Anyways these lists are fun I hope to see some more..

Lafitte-Thank you. Your comments are flattering & make me realize (again) that being a School Secretary is not what I was meant to be. I'm too much of a coward to pursue my real passion.

Frank-Yeah I cheated. My passion for films cannot be contained.

RainingViolets-Nice list. Your comments are wonderfully succinct.

Bronxgirl-Your words mean more to me than you'll ever know. I humbly thank you!

TripleHHH[/i]-I know your intention was for us to list just one film. But I absolutely could not resist. Once my passion for film gets aroused...it's a bear to stop. Thanks for the wonderful topic.

Thanks, Miss G. for your kind words on my fave movies list. I first saw Dishonored Lady twenty years ago and it has always been my fave Hedy film. Her looks are to die for in DL and i love the pacing and the plot. I am the proud owner of the double-set VHS box of Dishonored Lady and Algiers. Glad you have seen DL and don't think i'm crazy for always putting it on my fave classic films list. After all it stars my favorite movie star ever and she also produced it. It was so hard to stop at naming just two films per letter, but i guess i'll try and hold back. My 94 year old grandmother loves How Green Was My Valley, your H pick. I bought her the dvd this past Christmas along with Inn Of The Sixth Happiness, another of her favorites.

Hi again, Randy,

I look forward to watching Dishonored Lady again because alot was going on in that picture

and I am sure I missed some things. One thing that struck me was that Dennis O'Keefe more

than ever reminded me of Dana Andrews. I may write more about the movie in my "Rambles"

thread.

As for your grandmother, she has exquisite taste. I also enjoy The Inn of the Sixth Happiness. All those Anglo-Chinese, bless them. ;) I don't know if TCM got to show that one fo the Asian

fest but it's a good choice if they did.

Heck, I still have to get It's a Wonderful Life.

And you call yourself a Jimmy Stewart fan.

I call myself a JImmy Stewart fan and I still don't have that movie on dvd either. :P

CineMaven

Very nicely done. I can see you are going to be President of the Summer School class. Pass

me those candy ciggies, Frank. Lady B, did you bring the class any donuts? Don't forget

I only like glazed plain and chocolate glazed.

Hi MissGoddess...is your A-Z in here somewhere :) Theres a bunch now :)

Hi Cinemaven, Im glad you added extra movies in your A-Z with insight..it was really fantastic..im not one to throw hissy fits if someone goes against the grain in a thread I make..its all good :)

> {quote:title=TripleHHH wrote:}{quote}

> Hi MissGoddess...is your A-Z in here somewhere :) Theres a bunch now :)

> Hi Cinemaven, Im glad you added extra movies in your A-Z with insight..it was really fantastic..im not one to throw hissy fits if someone goes against the grain in a thread I make..its all good :)

Hi Triple HHH!

I think I'm buried on the first or second page and I even asked you a question about one

of the titles on your list that I never heard of.

Hey MSGD

Love from a Stranger is a movie starring Basil Rathbone who marries people for money & kills his wives when they agree to leave their fortune behind. It is a classic underrated movie that is released from Alpha DVD. It is a fantastic movie, very chilling & what his wife goes through finding out about Basil's intentions and trying to survive is really creepy. Watching him start as a charming man & slowly turning into a maniac is very creepy... I highly recommend this movie..

I like your choices by the way...Charade is in my top 20, and is a top 5 from the letter C..I went with Close Encounters due to my long time passions for the science fiction & horror genre...Ive watched Charade but once but it has an immediate impact, I loved this movie and own the Criterion DVD..

Gone with the Wind, It Happened One Night - also fantastic choices ! :)

MSG - movies with X I will recommened...X - Man with Xray Eyes, X Marks the Spot, X the unknown,

Anyone else have troubles with letters with all the good movies in a single letter ??

*Miss Goddess said Hi TripleHHH! Can you tell me a little about Love From a Stranger? I like the title. :)*

*Here's what I came up with:*

**A*ll About Eve*

**B*utterfield 8*

**C*harade :x*

**D*odsworth*

**E*mma*

**F*ugitive Lovers*

**G*one with the Wind :x*

**H*ow Green Was My Valley*

**I*t Happened One Night*

**J*ourney, the*

**K*ings Go Forth*

**L*aura*

**M*isfits, The (this was the hardest, so many "M"s to choose from!)*

**N*inotchka*

**O*n Dangerous Ground*

**P*enelope*

**Q*uiet Man, The*

**R*ebecca*

**S*eparate Tables (a tie with The Searchers)*

**T*he Man Who Shot Liberty Valance :x*

**U*ntil They Sail*

**V*ertigo*

**W*ee Willie Winkie*

*X ??*

**Y*oung Mr Lincoln*

**Z*oo in Budapest*

*I may change my mind on some, this was just off the top of my head.*

Message was edited by: TripleHHH

Thank you, TripleHHH...I'm going to see about adding Love from a Stranger to my Netflix queue, I do like Basil a lot.

And if "X" does not have to be the first letter of the movie title, then my choice is easy. It's

the Robert Montgomery movie: The Mystery of Mr. X.

Nope..X has to be the first :)

Try X Marks the Spot or X Man with the Xray Eyes

I think you will like Love from A Stranger...

Amazon sellers have it on sale for cheap too if you like it...

With Alpha titles, sometimes buy them rather than renting as I have gotten a few for a dollar...some I liked :)

I really enjoy reading all the posts in this thread. To be honest, when I'm bored, I often just get a piece of paper and list movies from A to Z (just like this thread :) ). It can be become very fun and challenging if you pick categories such as only comedies or movies with certain actors. Anyway, thanks for the wonderful thread!

What's up, Game? -- We both seem to have similar tastes ! I couldve easily have picked some of your A-Z as mine but my longevity is with horror/scifi.

You surely know that we're on the same taste wavelength. You're WAY ahead of me in films seen, though. I'm always impressed by how many movies you watch.

As much as I liked Asphalt Jungle, I chose Alien as Ive seen it more times & its just a superior horror...same thing with M, a great Fritz Lang film, but Maltese Falcon to me really sprang into my top 10 after 2 viewings

Whenever I do lists on this board, I choose to focus on classic film instead of my favorites from "recent" time. I went with The X Files and Zodiac because they were the only "X" and "Z" films I could come up with that I liked.

Anyways these lists are fun I hope to see some more..

I love lists. I like seeing what others enjoy because it helps me paint their portrait.

Hiya, Miss Milland -- I only used the first movie you listed for each letter, you little cheater, you.

Whatevah!

Ohh, this must be the impostor Miss Milland because I cannot believe the real Miss Milland would be that way to me. :P Cheatah!

And do you seriously admit to seeing "Pride And Prejudice"? Amazing! LOL!

Laffite made me walk the plank of shame. Darn that interloper! :D

Hola, Miss G -- Heck, I still have to get It's a Wonderful Life.

And you call yourself a Jimmy Stewart fan. I call myself a JImmy Stewart fan and I still don't have that movie on dvd either.

So you've been hiding in the shadows, Mrs. Stoddard? :P

Pass me those candy ciggies, Frank.

What are you doing in the boy's bathroom? Ohhhh... Never mind. :P:P

Don't forget I only like glazed plain and chocolate glazed.

Why doesn't "glazed" surprise me with you? :) You ain't plain, though. I'll give you that.

MissG - try X Marks the Spot or X the Unknown (cool hammer monster movie)

or Xanadu :P

FrankGrimes said *Whenever I do lists on this board, I choose to focus on classic film instead of my favorites from "recent" time. I went with The X Files and Zodiac because they were the only "X" and "Z" films I could come up with that I liked.*

I understand why, Im still loyal to horror and science fiction..Alien would make a good recent movie for TCM if they play a special version or give it special treatment...I dont see it air on TV too often where I am..

Someone give MissGoddess movies that start with X so she can pick one :)

Message was edited by: TripleHHH

Not that it is really that important but I've decided to swap out my selection for the letter "I" -

Out goes "I - Informer, The" (sorry MissG.)

In its place I choose "I - Indochine".

I decided that *Indochine* is more of a "favorite" than the McLaglen film - which is more of a "film I admire" than truly a "favorite".

(And if you like epic, historical love stories, then you should definitely seek out *Indochine*.)

Kyle In Hollywood

In its place I choose "I - Indochine">>

Kyle,

When I first read your post I was stunned by your choice of I film.

But then I realized it was my mistake.

At first glance I thought I read *Inchon* when in reality you had written *Indochine*.

Two very different movies. One almost unwatchable ( *Inchon* ) and the other quite beautiful

( *Indochine* ).

Whew!

*"At first glance I thought I read Inchon..."* - lzcutter

Wow. You really thought I meant the "Moonie" movie? Thank goodness you read it again.

(And I need to watch *Indochine* again soon.)

Kyle In Hollywood

Im still loyal to horror and science fiction..Alien would make a good recent movie for TCM if they play a special version or give it special treatment...I dont see it air on TV too often where I am..

I also like Alien quite a bit. It's one of my favorite sci-fi horrors.

My favorites from the 40s:

A - Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

B - The Body Snatcher

C - Cat People

D - Double Indemnity

E -

F - Fallen Angel

G - Gun Crazy

H - His Girl Friday

I - I Wake Up Screaming

J - Johnny Belinda

K - Key Largo

L - Laura

M - The Maltese Falcon

N - Notorious

O - Out of the Past

P - Portrait of Jennie

Q - Quai des Orf?vres

R - Raw Deal

S - Scarlet Street

T - The Third Man

U - Unfaithfully Yours

V - The Valley of Decision

W - The Woman in the Window

X -

Y -

Z -

Bold = On My Overall List

Too hard to choose only one for some:

Arsenic and Old Lace

Ben Hur/Big Jake

Christmas Story( I don't care if they play this a MILLION times during Christmas...still funny!)

Donovan's Reef

Empire of the Sun

Friendly Persuasion

Greed (silent)

High Noon

It Happened One Night/It's a Wonderful Life

Jaws/Jane Eyre

King and I

Lawrence of Arabia

Meet Me in St. Louis/Mr Smith Goes to Washington

Notorious

Oklahoma

Pride and Predjudice

Quiet Man

Raiders of the Lost Ark/Rebecca

Sergeant York/The Searchers

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance/ True Grit

Unbreakable/The Untouchables

V

Wizard of Oz

X

Young Mr Lincoln

Z

Thanks--this was fun. :-)

(Too late tonight to think of any for V, X, or Z....if I do I will edit them in another time)

MissG - try X Marks the Spot or X the Unknown (cool hammer monster movie)

or Xanadu

Ha! I do think some of those Hammer films are really fun to watch. But Xanadu....though I've never seen the movie, I did go to the musical that is currently on Broadway (or was last Fall) and it was torture.

I understand why, Im still loyal to horror and science fiction..Alien would make a good recent movie for TCM if they play a special version or give it special treatment...I dont see it air on TV too often where I am..

Noooooooooooooooo! Please don't encourage them, Triple HHH. See if you can get The Fox Movie Channel instead because they air this movie ad nauseum.

Someone give MissGoddess movies that start with X so she can pick one

Yes please! But nothing modern.

Since I have Alien on DVD i dont care if it airs or not..TCM is for classics, so maybe Alien isnt a good idea..well it is , but I like my B&W classics..

There is some comedy called X,Y & Zee

And there is a terrible monster movie called the X from Outer Space..

X Marks the Spot is a mystery - part of Alpha endless catalog of obscure stuff...might be worth a try

Id say give X the Unknown a try since it is a classic , crisp B&W photography and a good British cast..the monster is kind of cool...it is often compared to the Quatermass Experiment in terms of atmosphere and style of movie..

But you must Netflix Love From A Stranger ASAP, I really think you should try that one