Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

26 Letters - 26 A-Z favorite movies

This was a lot harder than I thought!

I cheated and pulled up the database of the movies I have on DVD rather than trying to rely on memory, so some I really like aren't represented. Even so, there are so many in each letter that I consider a favorite that it's hard to choose between them. In the end, I could only go with what I would pick if I was going to watch one right now.

I'm sure my list will seem quite tame, perhaps even insipid, to the experts here . . .

All That Jazz

Bell, Book, and Candle

Cat People

The Divorce of Lady X

The Ex-Mrs. Bradford

Father Goose

The Ghost Breakers

The Hidden Fortress

If I Were King

Jewel Robbery

A Kiss in the Dark

La Femme Nikita

The Male Animal

Ninotchka

Only Yesterday

Paris When It Sizzles

Queen Christina

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Some Like it Hot

Tovarich

The Unsusected

Victor/Victoria

The World, the Flesh, and the Devil

X -- none

Yojimbo

Zardoz

Cheater LOL !!

Ive noticed a lot of members have had troubles with X for a favorite

That is a somewhat hard letter I will admit :)

I own 6 movies with X as the first word/letter

*X the Unknown*

*X Marks the Spot*

*X The Man with the X-ray Eyes*

*X-men 1 , 2 & 3 (doesn't anyone like the Xmen Movies ?? )*

Sounds like we need some more X movies

(one chooses their imagination at ones risk over that statement LOL)

I used to own the X from Outer Space but it was terrible, and Ive never seen X,Y and Zee or Xanadu (ill pass on those)

Message was edited by: TripleHHH

I was taught very early in life that there's never a penalty for cheating (letting yourself get caught cheating is a different matter).

I've seen several 'X' movies (as opposed to XXX movies), but I wouldn't go so far as to say any of them are a favorite. I have one which was a friend's film-school project which I could have included, but it has never been released to the unsuspecting public.

I don't know what there is about *Jewel Robbery*, but I love it beyond all sense and reason. (I didn't particularly like KF before I saw that movie, and now she's one of my favorites.)

I don't know what there is about Jewel Robbery, but I love it beyond all sense and reason. (I didn't particularly like KF before I saw that movie, and now she's one of my favorites.)

Jewel Robbery, One-Way Passage and Trouble in Paradise are the movies that made me a fan of Kay Francis. I think she was Powell's best leading lady, after Myrna and along with Carole. All three of those movies capture a particular kind of effervescent charm and romanticism I associate with the best 1930s films (as opposed to, say, pre-code raciness for its own sake).

Some of this was easy, a lot of it was hard and I know that I've forgotten many things.

A. Arsenic and Old Lace

B. Bitter Tea of General Yen - when I finally saw this on TCM it was love at first sight.

C. Captain Blood

D. Dracula (1931)

E. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-not classic exactly, but I was having a hard time coming up with an E

F. Footlight Parade

G. Glass Key, Godzilla anything

H. Harvey

I. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World-this just never stops being funny

J.Jane Eyre (PBS 2007 version) another letter I struggled with

K.Kind Hearts and Coronets

L. Le Samourai

M. Mystery Train

N. Night of the Hunter

O.

P. Purple Noon

Q. Queen of Outer Space

R. Rear Window

S. Sullivan's Travels, Sun Valley Serenade

T. Touch of Evil

U.

W. War of the Gargantuas

X. Xanadu

Y. You Can't Take It With You

Z.

I drew a blank on O, U and Z for some reason. But reading these lists reminds of how many things I haven't seen, but am looking forward to seeing. A very impressive wealth of knowledge on these boards!

Mlle. Minya -

Wow. Only one swashbuckler. And not a "vampy" dame in sight either. (No letter "V" on the list either! Get back to work.)

But I liked seeing *Kind Hearts And Coronets* and *Footlight Parade*.

And as for a "Z", you can have my leftover - *Zebra In The Kitchen* if you want. (Don't tell me you've never seen that classic!)

Kyle In Hollywood

Hey Son of Godzilla,

There are a few goodies with O, U & Z that I am happy to recommend (I like these ones)

Omen

Orochi the 8 headed dragon

Opera (Dario Argento)

Onibaba

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

The Old Dark House

Octopussy

On Her Majestys Secret Servcie

Unknown Island

Uninvited

Ugestu (Japanese movie ala Onibaba)

Zodiac

Zeram

Zombi

Zombie Nightmare

Not all of these will be in your taste Im sure :)

*Wow. Only one swashbuckler. And not a "vampy" dame in sight either. (No letter "V" on the list either! Get back to work.)*

*I know!* I'm already thinking about editing my list! I didn't want to overload it with _all_ the stuff I love, but in doing so I just blanked on so many things. Including V which was for Valley of the Dolls.

I love making lists, but I have the problem of thinking numerous thoughts at the same time so information is constantly dropping out. I have a whole list of things to see after reading everything here, I'll tell you that! :)

Message was edited by: Minya

*Hey Son of Godzilla,*

Ahh! You got the reference! Not many people do. :)

Thank you for the recommendations! Some I've seen, some I haven't. I'm slapping my forehead over the obvious ones! That's one of the reasons these types of lists are a little risky for me.

I was intrigued by the Dario Argento mention-you're not speaking of his dreadful Phantom of the Opera, are you? I rented it because of Julian Sands (yes, it was silly-I'm a girl, sue me :) ) but it was so laughable I couldn't finish it. And he's a well respected horror director, too. I wonder what he was thinking?

Message was edited by: Minya

*"I'm already thinking about editing my list! I didn't want to overload it with all the stuff I love..."* - Mlle Minya

I thought "the stuff I love" was the point. I took the term "Favorites" in the original post literally and tried to choose only those films that I can watch multiple times (Or easily recommend to unsuspecting friends).

So if you're going to edit your list, that's the one I'd like to see from Mlle.

Kyle In Hollywood

I guess I didn't want it to seem too unimaginative. I have many movies I love, but not all are 'classic' movies and I was trying to stick more with the classic theme, I guess. And since my knowledge isn't as great as most of the people on here, I didn't want to put something together that was full of titles that everyone has seen a million times. It's silly, I know. Given only a few moments I can over think just about anything. :)

BxGirl 6/25 9:56:"CineMaven, your post just blew me away! I devoured it like candy, and I'll keep it as a great reference guide.Bravo, A plus, A plus, A plus!!!!!!"

CMaven 6/26/ 3:14am:"Bronxgirl-Your words mean more to me than you'll ever know. I humbly thank you!"

BxGirl 6/27 9:36am:"CineMaven, you're making this poster blush. Heaping praise on the likes of me no less, who looks forward to the drek more than the real classics..."

CMaven 6/29 4:43am: Yes you. Give me example of what 'drek' you like.

MISSGODDESS: "I doubt I will even be let into the class when the teachers hear for the 80th time the dog ate my homework."

The dog??? I think I know that dog...send your homework by mail; I don't want to miss any of it.

*Minya*, I see you have Purple Noon on your list. I liked that movie quite a bit myself. Did you see The Talented Mr Ripley ? I think I liked Ripley a little better, though the movies are quite different and difficult to compare.

Hi Minya,

No I didnt mean Argentos Phantom of the Opera- just the one simply known as Opera

There are at least 5 or 6 Argento movies I enjoy..Opera is one of them

Im a Godzilla fan as well so I knew what Minya meant...I liked the original Minya better than baby Godzilla from the 1990s...

*Other Os and Us you might want to consider:*

You are all extremely fabulous! Thanks for the suggestions!

When I saw Umbrellas of Cherbourgh, I had one of those forehead slapping moments. Another title lost in the act of trying to remember to write down movies. :)

*Minya, I see you have Purple Noon on your list. I liked that movie quite a bit myself. Did you see The Talented Mr Ripley ? I think I liked Ripley a little better, though the movies are quite different and difficult to compare.*

Usually I really hate American remakes, but I wasn't disappointed by The Talented Mr. Ripley.

*Hi Minya,*

*No I didnt mean Argentos Phantom of the Opera- just the one simply known as Opera*

*There are at least 5 or 6 Argento movies I enjoy..Opera is one of them*

*Im a Godzilla fan as well so I knew what Minya meant...I liked the original Minya better than baby Godzilla from the 1990s...*

Ahh, good!

I usually can't watch any of the Godzillas made after about 1969, and as for the Roland Emmerich Godzilla....ugh, don't even speak of it! Well, one little thing-I did watch Godzilla 2000 and I was cracking up at the little jabs they gave at the 1998 movie. My mother was a big Godzilla fan, and I watched all of those with her when I was a kid, so not only are they entertaining, they are very comforting as well.

The drek, oh, you shouldn't know from it....ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS in which chubby Mel Welles (with a French cartoon accent) AFTER having been taken over by the crab, hopes he hasn't treated any women like sluts; THE BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS, where floating bad and good guy brains are fighting over John Agar, if you can believe ANYONE, human or alien, fighting over John Agar; ALLIGATOR PEOPLE, in which Lon Chaney, Jr. gets to vent: "Dirty, stinkin' gators!"

And it goes on unto infinity....

I like *Alligator People* and *Attack of the Crab Monsters*, and I will throw in the *Angry Red Planet* as well, but none are my favorite A, which I put *Alien,* with *And then there were None , Anatomy of a Murder and Arsenic and Old Lace* as very close seconds..Alien is a thriller when the Alien was scary :) and chose it has Ive seen that one longer than the rest & went with longevity's which Alien gets the nod

I like all the Godzilla's, the best ones are from the 1960s, and I did like the 1990s ones, with Destroyer being a 90s favorite, and the 2000 Godzilla movies werent that good, I did like GMK the one with Baragon , Final Wars stunk, I only have that one so I can say I own every Godzilla movie..

Message was edited by: TripleHHH