Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Rambles

MissGoddess

Hi Frank-Wow--that sounds really inspirational. I don't think I've ever heard of Home Run Derby. Is it a sports show?

I once heard someone say, you are never a lost cause until you are six feet under...sounds like Josh is living proof of that.

PS--Jack Favell--

Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart

Just can't picture it. Another one of those "what if" moments that we can only wonder about. I can't say this is a favorite movie for me, but Caine and Connery owned those roles so well--it would be an entirely different movie for sure if these two had done if first. I saw this movie mentioned over on another thread for someone's "greatest endings of all time' It certainly ended a lot differently than you would expect starting out.

Hi Frank-Wow--that sounds really inspirational. I don't think I've ever heard of Home Run Derby. Is it a sports show?

Well, Home Run Derby used to be a sports show in the late-50s and early-60s, but now it's a home run hitting contest during the Major League Baseball All-Star festivities.

I once heard someone say, you are never a lost cause until you are six feet under...sounds like Josh is living proof of that.

Very much so.

Hey, CineBabe -- D'ya know who I think fits in this category as well, PAUL LYNDE. Just check him out in "Send Me No Flowers" and to some extent: "Bye Bye Birdie." That dude is all over the place in his fussbudgetry.

You are right about that. Pathetically, whenever I see the name "Paul Lynde," I think "center square."

Supporting players are usually handed the chore of "fussbudget" with some making a living on just that. But I find it very rare that a "fussy-type" would become a lead, just as Jack Lemmon did. Woody Allen would be the biggest of the bunch, but that was his genius.

Now where's that CineMaven "fussbudget" list. I know you've got some faves.

P.S., how's your summer going?

It's going pretty good. Thanks for asking, girl. How's the Big Apple treating you this summer?

Which way is the wind blowin', Laffite? -- I tried to be Ed Crane...for awhile. Just walking around and not talking to anyone and being cynical and thinking all kinds of snide thoughts about everyone and everything. It was great fun until I realized that's the away I am anyway. :( Talk about an epiphany! Actually, I could never be Ed Crane. I talk too much (but the rest is right on) ;)

I was going to say. You seem way too chatty to be "Ed." I love the nods Ed does. I think we all do those "feigning to be listening yet we are somehwere else" nods. I do them most with Miss G. :)

Since my classic film tastes primarily lie within film noir, westerns, and horror, I rarely run across "fussbudgets." I was going to include Andy Devine (Stagecoach & The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance) and Elisha Cook Jr. (The Killing) to highlight what I feel a "fussbudget" is like in westerns and film noir, but they just didn't fit to me.

Good point, fussbudgets don't thrive (much less exist) in those genres. But it might be fun to keep the radar going, might just get a blip on the screen.

Fussbudgets are primarily comic relief, and there ain't too much comedy relief in the classic films I enjoy the most.

I agree about Elisha, a little too mousy and obsequious to be a real fussbudget. And I don't think Marie would have taken too much crap from him.

You got that right. He was more of a pleader than a fusser.

Andy Devine is fading in and out in my memory in that movie but though he can be a jolly sort, he would make a fussy too, and he has the voice for it.

Andy was basically playing the "Cowardly Lion." He's a worrywort, but not necessarily fussy.

Good evening, Invisible Woman -- Did you create the Random Harvest pictorial? I like it!

Ahhh, yes, the all too familiar refrain of disappointment.

hey youre the one who's always mean to me! i just leave to go to bed, if thats leaving you out in the cold, well at least i left you mittnes with a prince and a princess to give you manners and chat with. but no! you decided to get rid of them, and now THEY are left in the gutter somewhere. poor babies! i tried to help you, but no!

A pair of mittens is supposed to make me feel good about getting locked outside? Are you picking up these tips from an icy blonde?

How could you not like Forty Guns? I mean, it has a lovely wedding in it.

i liked the acting and the personalities of the character, but i just couldnt get into the plotline. the wedding has nothing to do with it! goodness just because i get weak inthe knees at a wedding and start crying, doesnt mean i succumb to every wedding in the movies......although i do for most of them, but thats not to point and you know it!

Do you remember what happens at the wedding, Sweet and Sappy?

well i probably wouldnt waste any tea, but if angela reads what you said about her, SHE'LL want to waste some tea down your back. good and hot too! she isnt one to be gullible, like i am. heehee! angela is a very fiesty one and she get you good and plenty!

But I love Angela when she is fiesty, mad, and evil. Hmmmm, that sounds a lot like...

april give him one of those manhattan blizzards you have been saving up for a sepcial occasion. i think we have waited long enough. heehee!

Your pretend doll has a "special occasion" Manhattan blizzard? Are you telling me she can get even more icy than she is now? Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Who are Mr. and Mrs. Bennet? Are those Smithy's parents? Can you believe he actually offed them both? How awful!

give me a minute to lift myself off the floor! okay im good. mr and mrs bennett are kind sweet parents who want the best for their daughters! he did most certainly NOT kill them. i might hire him to kill you though! honestly! heehee!

You're always looking for new ways to bump me off. And all I do is tell you how sweet you are. Such gratitude.

You got to see Inherit the Wind AND To Kill a Mockingbird as a double-feature at the Paramount? Wow! Now that's quite a powerful twinbill. You lucky gal, you. I love Gene Kelly's performance. His "E.K. Hornbeck" is so bitey. I also like the fact that "Drummond" stands up to him when he badmouths "Matt Brady." Unlike Drummond, Hornbeck lacks humanity.

of course! i just came to see To Kill a Mockingbird, b/c i love gregory peck in that movie, but i stayed to see Inherit the Wind beforehand too. gregory looks so handsome on the big screen. imagine if i got to see Valley of DEcision on the big screen with im AND greer! i would be unconscious still! heehee!

Do you only watch movies to look at cute and handsome guys? Sigh.

see, i only liked some scenes of gene kelly in that movie. he ws bitey alright, but he didnt always say the right things like i wanted him to. spence turned out being the better person there. Hornbeck also lacks humility, whereas drummond stood up for most of the right things to do. hornbeck just wasnt as strong as drummond.

Very nicely said, T. Inherit the Wind is the only Gene Kelly film I have seen. Marjorie Morningstar is the Kelly film I wish to see most. Have you ever seen Xanadu? :P:P

Hiya, Finishing School Girl -- april give him one of those manhattan blizzards you have been saving up for a sepcial occasion. i think we have waited long enough. heehee!

HERE you are at last, naughty Butterscotch!

Now why would you call sweet ButtersweetGreer "naughty"? That's not right.

I'll only unleash a Norther if you proceed SOUTH to the Western Gallery and whip that ungrateful wretched mr grimes into shape! Honestly, he is out of control since you left me to his ungallant mercies.

My mercies are always wretchedly gallant.

*Did you create the Random Harvest pictorial? I like it!*

i like it too! but i didnt make it. i loved that it was green too! heehee! and look at beautiful little smithy's face when he sees paula for the first time since he regained his memory back. i mean how could you make a face like that unless you were in love....really in love? you can see it in greer's face too, how excited she is! oh i feel like crying just explaining this!

*A pair of mittens is supposed to make me feel good about getting locked outside? Are you picking up these tips from an icy blonde?*

of course they are are, thats why i made them for you silly ducky! if such people are going to be unappreciative about my homemade gifts, then i shall give them the puppy dog pout....beware! heehee!

how would i ever pick up bad tips from a swet april who just happens to be my sister? you were saying.....?

*Do you remember what happens at the wedding, Sweet and Sappy?*

yes i do henry drummond for your information. heehee! but i want you to explain it first. if you do, it might spike up a sense of great taste in your pathetically evolved mind. heehee!

*But I love Angela when she is fiesty, mad, and evil. Hmmmm, that sounds a lot like...*

oh my goodness! i was just sipping my grandma's wine and you made me choke on it. i dont like innuendos and you just hurt my feelings. you also hurt angela's feelings so apologize to yer! ;)

*Your pretend doll has a "special occasion" Manhattan blizzard? Are you telling me she can get even more icy than she is now? Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!*

oh yes! didnt you know? ashe can throw a manhattan blizzard at a certain person whenever she pleases herself to....on command! so you better watch it frankie or esle my long black gloves come off and her chilly powers come out! hi-yah!

*You're always looking for new ways to bump me off. And all I do is tell you how sweet you are. Such gratitude.*

i am not! you always start it! i tell you how sweet you are too, until you come upsetting my smithy and mary rafferty and poor mr darcy! like you said...."such gratitude!"

*Do you only watch movies to look at cute and handsome guys? Sigh.*

well that would be a major reason, but i also watch them for the sappiness....you know romance and drama, and KISSING and WEDDINGS. you know, the exquisite happy endings where they all live happily ever after forever and ever!

*Very nicely said, T. Inherit the Wind is the only Gene Kelly film I have seen. Marjorie Morningstar is the Kelly film I wish to see most. Have you ever seen Xanadu.*

stop making fun of my Xanadu! that movie is a REAL piece of work! just because i happen to love all musicals and you dont, doesnt mean you need to be sniooty about my Xanadu! honestly! i thought you liked Olivia newton John anyway!

this should brighten up your night. heehee!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HGEiDN3GH-0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kWEwzzTYgDU

Good Evening, Super Sweet Texas T -- Did you create the Random Harvest pictorial? I like it!

i like it too! but i didnt make it. i loved that it was green too! heehee!

When I saw the green border, I thought you had created it, Miss Green.

and look at beautiful little smithy's face when he sees paula for the first time since he regained his memory back. i mean how could you make a face like that unless you were in love....really in love? you can see it in greer's face too, how excited she is! oh i feel like crying just explaining this!

I think that's the look of a psycho killer who is eyeing his next victim.

A pair of mittens is supposed to make me feel good about getting locked outside? Are you picking up these tips from an icy blonde?

of course they are are, thats why i made them for you silly ducky! if such people are going to be unappreciative about my homemade gifts, then i shall give them the puppy dog pout....beware! heehee!

Well, if I'm to sit out in the cold all night, it might as well be for you and your puppy dog eyes. But you're not allowed to watch any Gary Cooper movies for a month. Deal? Great!

how would i ever pick up bad tips from a swet april who just happens to be my sister? you were saying.....?

I was saying, you must have picked up these bad tips from a snipstress.

Do you remember what happens at the wedding, Sweet and Sappy?

yes i do henry drummond for your information. heehee! but i want you to explain it first. if you do, it might spike up a sense of great taste in your pathetically evolved mind. heehee!

Ohhh, you don't remember.

But I love Angela when she is fiesty, mad, and evil. Hmmmm, that sounds a lot like...

oh my goodness! i was just sipping my grandma's wine and you made me choke on it. i dont like innuendos and you just hurt my feelings. you also hurt angela's feelings so apologize to yer!

Are you boozing again? More bad tips from the finishing school girl.

Your pretend doll has a "special occasion" Manhattan blizzard? Are you telling me she can get even more icy than she is now? Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

oh yes! didnt you know? ashe can throw a manhattan blizzard at a certain person whenever she pleases herself to....on command! so you better watch it frankie or esle my long black gloves come off and her chilly powers come out! hi-yah!

:D Hi-yah!

Your pretend doll pleases herself by being a Manhattan blizzard at all times. :P "Chilly powers." I like that!

So do you wear your long black gloves all the time now?

Do you only watch movies to look at cute and handsome guys? Sigh.

well that would be a major reason, but i also watch them for the sappiness....you know romance and drama, and KISSING and WEDDINGS. you know, the exquisite happy endings where they all live happily ever after forever and ever!

You're a monster! Nobody wants happy endings where everyone lives happily ever after forever and ever. You are the only one.

stop making fun of my Xanadu! that movie is a REAL piece of work!

It's "REAL"?

just because i happen to love all musicals and you dont, doesnt mean you need to be sniooty about my Xanadu! honestly! i thought you liked Olivia newton John anyway!

I love Olivia! And I can't help about being snooty. That's what happens to people after they watch Greer Garson movies. Nobody is as snooty as you. :P

Ashamedly, I like both videos.

Cinemaven writes:

>D'ya know who I think fits in this category as well, PAUL LYNDE

Frank writes:

>You are right about that

Just for the record, *MissG* has, in fact, included Paul Lynde in Send Me No Flowers in her list of fussbudgets. Just want our "Sweet April" (per Butterscotch) to receive credit where credit due. :)

_Bonsoir Monsieur Frank_:

*But I find it very rare that a "fussy-type" would become a lead, just as Jack Lemmon did. Woody Allen would be the biggest of the bunch, but that was his genius.*

Wow, Woody Allen...good one!

*You seem way too chatty to be "Ed."*

Of course you're right. All the stuff about being like Ed was tongue and cheek but I muffed it. I can be a cynic but in a normal sort of way, not like Ed Crane. But weirdly, I have a certain admiration for him. Not for what he eventually does etc., but for that Ed Crane demeanor.

*I love the nods Ed does. I think we all do those "feigning to be listening yet we are somehwere else" nods.*

I thought he was listening all right, but it was with this, "do you think I really care," thing going on, as if he was nearing the last straw about everything (and he was).

*Fussbudgets are primarily comic relief, and there ain't too much comedy relief in the classic films I enjoy the most.*

I think my idea of a fussbudget is more inclusive than yours. I think there is something inherently funny about them, hopefully anyway, but there are fussy roles that go beyond mere comic relief. For instance, Bette's campy portrayal of Mildred in Of Human Bondage is a pretty serious role but corresponds _to my idea_ anyway of a fussbudget though she is not meant to be funny. It's me, the viewer, who adds the humor though I may have to be able appreciate fussiness on a different and per a more inclusive definition. All by way of saying that I, for one, do not give up hope that there may a fussbudget or two (or even more) in those genres that you like, though they might not correspond to _your_ idea of fussbudgetry. Still, you have a good case when you say that those genres, Western, Noir, and Horror, have no real place for them. Of the three, the Western is the best chance. For instance, is there a movie, say, about a wagon train. And on this wagon train, there is a cook who is always fussing. That's sounds possible. Or how about Robert Taylor in Westward the Women. He was kind of fussy there at the beginning. Or is that a stretch?

Or a different question, why all the earnest discussion of fussbudgetry on my part? Because, it's like a game. It almost becomes an excercise in trivia. Fun.

:)

*When I saw the green border, I thought you had created it, Miss Green.*

i wish i had thought of it first, green goes perfectly with them together. SIGHS!

*I think that's the look of a psycho killer who is eyeing his next victim.*

youre kidding right? oh my goodness! anything i say doesnt make a difference with you.you could turn the sweetest most lovable story into the most frantic psychotic story there ever was. why do you choose my characters to try this new style with? honestly frankie darlin'!

*Well, if I'm to sit out in the cold all night, it might as well be for you and your puppy dog eyes. But you're not allowed to watch any Gary Cooper movies for a month. Deal? Great!*

who said anything about that being a deal? who makes a deal without the other person's permission? youre just a handful tonight. what do you do while im away,take lessons? heehee!

*I was saying, you must have picked up these bad tips from a snipstress.*

she isnt the snippy one around here, you are henry drummon/kenny boy!

*Ohhh, you don't remember.*

thats not fairi call a five minute penaltyon frankie for unfair justice! heehee! i just dont think you wanna explain it yourself.

*Are you boozing again? More bad tips from the finishing school girl.*

hey you were the one who said we were the floozy sisters. and im not boozing! i never ecxessivly drink booze! im too young. i sip once in a while from my parents. i have their permission....didnt you see father goose? im french for crying out loud. heehee!

*Your pretend doll pleases herself by being a Manhattan blizzard at all times. "Chilly powers." I like that!*

well thats her strength. she has the gift and dont mock me on this. im havingfun here! heehee!

*So do you wear your long black gloves all the time now?*

only when around you dahlinkg....and sometimes laffite, but only when he's thrashing my purses. heehee!

*You're a monster! Nobody wants happy endings where everyone lives happily ever after forever and ever. You are the only one.*

see, im just never special am i? heehee!

*It's "REAL"?*

ofcourse! dont you ever see the 9 muses running around making people's dreams come true and glowing when they are getting ready to leave? i dunno, it sounds beautiful to me! sonny malone would believe me!

*I love Olivia! And I can't help about being snooty. That's what happens to people after they watch Greer Garson movies. Nobody is as snooty as you.*

after watching my inspirational greer garson movies, one feels elegant and strong, not snooty. whatever made you think greer was snooty?!

*Ashamedly, I like both videos*.

ha! i caught you! you actually like them. heehee! here's another ELO song. they sing it in the movie when sonny is searching for olivia. i think you would like it. ELO did most of the songs in that movie. i love it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RgZKuP0BKg0

one of the cutest parts of the movie is when they turn to cartoon and the song is just too romantic . it really is cute!

Just for the record, MissG has, in fact, included Paul Lynde in Send Me No Flowers in her list of fussbudgets. Just want our "Sweet April" (per Butterscotch) to receive credit where credit due.

Mon pirate prefere, vous-etes un vrai gentilhomme. Merci, mille fois.

Sorry this editor doesn't include accent marks! How barbaric. :)

Good morning, Coopsy Woopsy! -- So that's what you look like!! Frankly, (pun intended) I'm quite disappointed. I expected the moustache to be bushier. :P

"I'm quite disappointed" is something I hear a lot of these days. :)

I've been meaning to tell you that you wrote one of the cutest things of the board recently.

I have such an amazing social life - when I'm asleep ;) !

I smiled at that.

I liked the Coopka article you posted, as well. I thought it was also very cute and funny.

Meanwhile, we've got Batman and X-Files on the way, and don't even pretend like you ain't gonna see 'em, Msty.

I thought a Manhattan Blizzard sounded like a perfect drink for a hot and steamy day -- How do you make it MissG? Whiskey, vermouth, and ice cream?

Another great fussbudget- Joyce Carey from Brief Encounter (Sorry bout the picture quality. It's the only one I could find). I know you must have seen this one, Frank. It's YOUR kind of movie- very noir......

Photobucket

Now I know you are just giving him a hard time...so it pains me to do this...but will put on my "white hat" for a moment and come to the rescue...NOT ALL of those 5000 posts were rotten. Maybe A LOT of them were... but there has to be a little white hat hiding in there somewhere just for him. (let's pull out the standard Mom Speech for a minute and see if we can encourage him to do better ) Now Scott...if you act rotten, everyone around is going to think your are rotten. And I know you are a nice person... Now YOU need to settle down and remember how nice you really are so eveyone else will know it too. :-)

FRANK: Now where's that CineMaven "fussbudget" list. I know you've got some faves.

How's the Big Apple treating you this summer?"

Lafitte, MissGoddess...I am so sorry to have filched the name of PAUL LYNDE--H.F.I.C. (head-fussbudget-in-charge). I hadn't read the previous posts.

I must confess, Frank I don't have a "fussbudget" list becuz I'm not drawn to those characters in films; Donald Meeks, the Franklin Pangborns etc.etc.etc. Lethal Ladies are more my speed.

But I'll write down the name of one more fussbudget that you all may agree on. He was in "His Girl Friday" and I think a coupla "Little Rascals" episodes. The one...the only: BILLY GILBERT. double and triple takes and spewfing of breath. Gosh, he was a mess.

The Big Apple: hot, but not a sauna. Gotta run. I gotta think about why Jane Greer is the femme fatale of alll femme fatales. ;-)