Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Rambles

MissGoddess

*"I'm quite disappointed" is something I hear a lot of these days.*

Well, you just let that moustache fill in a little bit and shape it like a handlebar and I bet the girls will come running :P

*I've been meaning to tell you that you wrote one of the cutest things of the board recently.*

*I have such an amazing social life - when I'm asleep!*

*I smiled at that.*

My love life picks up quite a bit too as soon as my head hits my little satin pillow ;).

*Meanwhile, we've got Batman and X-Files on the way, and don't even pretend like you ain't gonna see 'em, Msty.*

You know I?ll be the first one in line!! Actually, I?ll probably wait a little while so the crowds thin out some. I used to love seeing movies the day they opened but now I just get annoyed with all the people. I prefer to see matinees b/c they are cheaper and generally less crowded.

Oh, before I forget, Clara wanted me to tell you congrats on 5,000 posts and that she bought a new outfit to commemorate the occasion. If you ask me though, she got ripped off as there doesn?t seem to be much there :P.

callhersavagescreencap.jpg

Great pic of Gary, April! Let?s hope Frank takes his advice :).

*bonjour, mon amie intrepide!*

Bonjour Mademoiselle mon amie caramel dure au buerre.

Intrepide? Moi? Well, tres bien, but I have to still work on my steely gaze. Being intrepid is nice but you have to have a steely gaze.

*is her hair ever down in the movie like that all curly? its so pretty like that. or is it up gibson style the whole time?*

Helen wears her hair both ways. There is a scene with Signor Carella where her hair is, uh, down. (of course) ;)

*no i dont have Netflix, my parents...*

Netflix and college don?t mix anyway, you?re better off. Instead of studying Helen of Troy you?d be watching Helen of Mirren, tsk tsk.

You know, I was going to ask you sometime how your grandma was doing because you said that she started you on classic movies when you were five years old (Can you guess where I read that?) and that you still watch movies with her. But yesterday I?m eavesdropping on you and ?Frankie? and what do I read but that you?re drinking all your grandma?s wine! Tsk, tsk ;) ...but I guess that means your grandma is doing okay, right? (Okay, okay, so you only took a sip.)

*vous spectacle gout magnifique!*

Mon dieu, Mademoiselle , that's some _creative_ French right there. Please don't ask me to scan it grammatically, I wouldn't know where to begin. But's it's _very cute_, I wouldn't change it for the world. :) And, bien oui, my taste ain't so bad...for a swashhead. Merci.

===

>Well, I hope you both can see it...but if you don't like it. I may have to ship out in a hurry

*is this a trick question?most anything with helen is great, especially being set in the 1800s. wow! i cant wait!*

Actually Where Angels Fear To Tread takes place ca. 1900-1910. And no, no, nothing tricky here. Helen is great. It's just after raving like a maniac on how much I love this film and recommending it ad nauseum, I only hope that *you* and *MissG* will like it...otherwise you may come after me with your sword.

===

>Oh, and BTW, when you see this, you will behold THE BIGGEST FUSSBUDGET IN THE HISTORY OF WORLD

*i gathered that from your info about it. heehee!*

The fussy is Judy Davis. We've been having fun around here with fussbudgets but, seriously, if the Academy were to award an honorary Oscar for Best Performance as a Fussbudget, Judy Davis would be one of the five nominees. She is very fine in this movie, though she may overdo it perhaps just a little, but she?s quite good (and fussy).

>ps...it's not Helen.

*phew! it was touch and go there for a second. heehee! or i would have had to get my long black gloves out and find my sword!*

Egad!!! No way, Je suis gentillehomme filibustier, and I would never have a sword fight with a girl! Besides, you've heard of that "hell hath no fury," saying, haven?t you? I may be intrepid, but I'm not _that_ intrepid.

==

>Thanks, I'll keep that in mind the next time somebody comes at me with a machete.

*you better! we cant have a cut up into little piece laffite! that would be utterly diasasterous! with whome would i practice me french, besides sweet april and frankie?*

Oh, I get it. You don't care if Laffite gets diced, it's just the French lessons you're worried about ;) But I don't blame you, les lecons francaises sont tres importantes. And you won't need anybody else besides "sweet April" and "Frankie." Tous les deux sont a merveilles! You will be in good hands.

===

>When I was kid there was pirate in a Peter Pan comic book who was singing:

>Oh the pirates life

>Is a wonderful life

>Ho, ho, ho,

*....and a pirate's life for me. la dee da!*

Please write me a pirate song. Then sing it to me. My sources tell me you like to sing (sneaky). I'll watch it on youtube and you will be discovered and then have your own show on cable.

*i dont thini many pirates nowdays watch the history channel much. heehee! they might get scared and run for their mommies. after all every pirate needs a mommy!*

They'll never admit it though.

*i dont think you have any more fun being tortured in a dark and damp cave by just anybody. no, the way to be tortured is by an honest pirate....after all, "its the honest ones you ought to look out for, because you never know when they will do something extremely.....stupid!" heehee!*

C?est pourquoi je suis stupide. Je suis gentillehomme pirate et je fais souvent les betises. Les autres pirates se moquent toujours de moi. Mais ce m?est egal car les pirates stupides comme moi n?aiment pas a torturer des autres. Mais, a vrai dire, il faut admettre que je n?aime pas les sacs appeles les i-love-lucy parce qu?ils sont enormement stupides aussi. Maintenant tu peux aller procurer tes gants longs et noirs and ton epee pour me tuer, mais je m?en fous parce que j?aime la vie dangereuse.

Your lecon de Francais is a bit long today so we're puttin' to the test how much you remember from high school French. So, ya better get crackin.' And you better not make to many mistakes, 'cause you see that gun I got there, don't ya? ;)

laffitelogo.jpg laffite

*Lafitte, MissGoddess...I am so sorry to have filched the name of PAUL LYNDE--H.F.I.C. (head-fussbudget-in-charge).*

_*Cinemaven*_ : You did no such ?filching.? You just need to get some interest in fussbudgets and start readin? those back posts. ;)

_*MissGoddess*_:

*?sorry this editor doesn't include accent marks! How barbaric.*

Voila, read this!

Je sais que le choix a ?t? difficile et que m?me pour les plus grands r?alisateurs le nombre a ?t? limit? ? deux. Or Stanley Kubrick n'a qu'un seul film dans le classement alors qu'il fait parti des plus grands avec Coppola et Spielberg. D'ailleurs il est m?me plus grand r?alisateur que les deux-l? et "Orange m?canique" et "Barry Lyndon" aurait largement m?rit? d'?tre cit?s.

So how did I do this? I cheated, that's how. I cut and past from TCM French. This is a comment made by a viewer. They apparently do not have an elaborate forum like we do here in the USA but they do have a commentary section. I clicked my way to box where I could write something but to my disappointment the French words I typed in there _did not_ have the accent marks. The above quote was an existing comment that, as we see, _does_ have the accent marks. I quickly realized that one must, of course, need a French keyboard. I so agree with you about how awful French text looks without accents. Worse than barbaric! Anyway, that text up there _does_ look nice, n'est-ce pas?

I think Word has recourse to French accent marks but there are so many wierd commands to deal with that it's simply not worth it. Mon dieu que la vie est dure. :0

_translation_

"I know that the choice was difficult and even for the best directors the number was limited to two. So Stanley Kubrick had one film in the category though he was up against the best with Coppola and Spielberg. Furthermore he is a better director that these two and his "Clockwork Orange" and "Barry Lyndon" should have certainly merited a selection."

Something like that... :D

Message was edited by: laffite

Hi, Jackie! -- Thank you for the congrats! You gave me Gloria in her sultry, pouty best, Marilyn singing "I Wanna Be Loved by You," and a Looney Tunes cartoon that really made me laugh, although, in my case, it would be dames keeling over versus swooning. You have spoiled me rotten! I knew I liked you for some reason. Thanks, doll!

And, you are right, I have not seen that great film noir, Brief Encounter. :D

Hey, Quiet Gal -- Now I know you are just giving him a hard time...so it pains me to do this...but will put on my "white hat" for a moment and come to the rescue...NOT ALL of those 5000 posts were rotten.

Thank you.

Maybe A LOT of them were

Say what?! Now who is sticking knives in who's back, Mrs. Black Hat?

but there has to be a little white hat hiding in there somewhere just for him.

I've buried it for safe keeping.

(let's pull out the standard Mom Speech for a minute and see if we can encourage him to do better ) Now Scott...if you act rotten, everyone around is going to think your are rotten. And I know you are a nice person... Now YOU need to settle down and remember how nice you really are so eveyone else will know it too.

Everyone knows I'm rotten already. All my leaves have turned brown, so turning them won't do any good. Well, I guess I could look for the light-brown ones. :)

Ciao, ButtercotchGrace -- i'd say congratulations to you frankie, but you'd make fun of me some more, so ill just go sip my white zinfindel. heehee!

From sip to slurp. Why do you continue to listen to the Champoo Floozy?

april is right,

Who and never.

make surely your next five thousand posts are actually sweet and kind toward us innocent girlies. pretty please!

All of my posts are sweet and kind to the innocent girls, Guilty Girl. :P

And what's that in Marilyn's hands? Channel my tush! That's booze! What has the Finishing School Girl done to you?

Hiya, Liveliest Gal in Town -- I must confess, Frank I don't have a "fussbudget" list becuz I'm not drawn to those characters in films; Donald Meeks, the Franklin Pangborns etc.etc.etc. Lethal Ladies are more my speed.

Look who you're talking to, missy.

Howdy Coopsy's Clarita -- Oh, before I forget, Clara wanted me to tell you congrats on 5,000 posts and that she bought a new outfit to commemorate the occasion. If you ask me though, she got ripped off as there doesn?t seem to be much there :P .

Ripped off? Don't give me any ideas.

Tell Clara thanks for the congrats. ;) By the way, is that the Clara outfit you have or is there, uhh, another one? :P:)

"I'm quite disappointed" is something I hear a lot of these days.

Well, you just let that moustache fill in a little bit and shape it like a handlebar and I bet the girls will come running.

A handlebar moustache is all that it takes? I'm definitely finished if that's the case.

My love life picks up quite a bit too as soon as my head hits my little satin pillow ;) .

:D Boy, does it ever.

Meanwhile, we've got Batman and X-Files on the way, and don't even pretend like you ain't gonna see 'em, Msty.

You know I?ll be the first one in line!! Actually, I?ll probably wait a little while so the crowds thin out some. I used to love seeing movies the day they opened but now I just get annoyed with all the people. I prefer to see matinees b/c they are cheaper and generally less crowded.

I'm not a "first night or opening weekend" guy. I do not like watching movies in a full house. I like the 10:00 PM showings the best. I'll probably see Batman and the X-Files in their second week.

Bonjour, Miss G(ary) -- I see Davy Crockett is good at saying but not doing. Where's his smile?

He's not smiling because they have been 5,000 rude posts to his "girls".

Rude? You must have me confused with another guy.

He's got 5000 posts?? --my gosh, my golly.

Imagine, he found 5,000 trashy things to say! :P

That was easy to do with you around. :P

The next five thousand have to be about how much he loves Gary Cooper, Greer Garson and John Ford films. :D

Talk about trash! On second thought, let's not. :P:P

Everyone knows I'm rotten already. All my leaves have turned brown, so turning them won't do any good. Well, I guess I could look for the light-brown ones.

Now Frank...(again with the mom voice) I can't help you if you won't work with me!! :-)

_*The People vs. O'Hara*_

After having read about this movie and the troubles director *John Sturges* allegedly

had with *Spencer Tracy's* drinking during filming I finally got to see the man in

the role that mirrored himself so closely (after all, defense lawyers and actors have

very much in common ;) ). The performance was nothing less than I could expect from

Tracy---excellent---but the movie itself I felt did not make the most of his character.

The ending became predictable too soon in the story, slackening much of the tension

that had been carefully built.

Tracy's character is a former criminal defense lawyer whose highly successful

career became derailed due to his alcoholism. Apparently most of his cases

had been for clients accused of capital crimes, and having the responsiblity of

defending a person for their life became so much of an emotional burden for

the counsellor that he turned to the bottle. The movie opens with he and his

daughter seemingly happily living with all that turmoil behind them, he is

"dry" and building up a no-pressure civil defense practice and the daughter,

played sympathetically by the wonderful *Diana Lynn*, may finally be able to

move on with her own life after caring for her father for so long. Until the phone

rings and old friends plead with Tracy to defend their son (James Arness) who

has been arrested for murder. After that, you can figure out the rest and it becomes

merely a matter of sitting back and watching an incredible professional grapple

with a juicy part. And that's the shame of it! He's so good as the initially confident

defender about to prove to everyone he's still a winner whose confidence gradually

erodes as roadblocks and dead ends meet with his defense preparations. But the

scope he's given to show all this gets so severely curtailed by the plot that I

have to wonder if it simply became a matter of Tracy being unable to film all the

scenes so they just deleted them from the script? It's one of those cases

of a movie that had the potential to be something really great but just falls a little

flat. I guess not even having old pals like the wonderful *Pat O'Brien* and *Arthur*

*Shields* around did not help Tracy enough. But I don't really know all the circumstances,

and I don't want to make more of this issue than was the truth. It's just a shame

because he's that good in it.

I might as well mention *John Hodiak*, an actor I like, plays the ambitious younger

district attorney who Tracy is up against in the trial. I almost didn't recognize him

because his hair is lighter than usual (not flattering, he looks so striking with black

hair) and his performance is so wooden and rigid he brings absolutely nothing to

the character. He's never been one for much range but he usually is quite effective;

this is the worst I've seen him.

A word about the cinematography which is by John Alton---there are only

really two sequences where he gets to show off: the opening and ending. That

is where we are taken into very familiar Alton territory: gritty, dark and dank city

streets full of sinister shadows and miraculous lighting. There are also a few

scenes shot with Spencer Tracy somewhere along the wharfs in Brooklyn (?)

during the day that are beautifully done and which break up the interior scenes

somewhat.

I can recommend it for real fans of *Tracy* but if you are hoping for something

as tightly directed and ultimately satisfying as Lumet's The Verdict, you

may be disappointed.

Spencer Tracy, looking unbeatable

spence-1.jpg

*_Lilith_* (1964)

Did anyone see this movie, that aired after People Against O'Hara yesterday? TCM showed it once before but I didn't finish it the first time. I made the effort this time (stress on effort). There were moments, all too brief, where I found myself thinking this just might be the one movie in which I could tolerate Warren Beatty---but then the REST of the time I would stare at his shoe laces so there was no performance left to evaluate, just a shaggy head of hair. I don't know how director *Robert Rossen* allowed him to get away with that nonsense. It makes Marlon Brando's mumbling seem like Rex Harrison for clarity. Is this what they mean by "navel gazing" type of acting? Good grief!

So I'll move on to *Jean Seberg*, the blessedly clear and understated *Kim Hunter* and the story, about an occupational therapist-in-training (Beatty) who falls for one of his patients (Seberg). I think Jean was interesting, especially when she was tormenting either Beatty or acting up with that child (that scene bothered me but I admit she was frighteningly effective). I thought the relationship between Beatty and Kim Hunter, as his colleague, would develop from the merely professional into a more personal one but it didn't.

How many of these movies about mental illness were made in the sixties anyway? There seems to have been no end to them. A sign of the time? ;)

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> I agree about the ending of PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA, very predictable.

>

> I always like Diana Lynn.

>

> I too hardly recognized John Hodiak.

Here's how I like my Hodiak---not all buttoned up and prim like he was in O'Hara, but....

Dahling!

lifeboat-tallulah-bankhead-john-hod.jpg

Hey Jack Favell! I kinda hate to bust up this party abut Spencer Tracy et al with talk about the Coen's :-) but I thought this was a better spot to make the rest of my comments to you about Fargo than the quote thread. (So forgive me folks, for barging in here)

I think Fargo has a lot of excellent moments in it. I saw it at the theater when it first came out way back in the 90?s and thought it was a really great example of how deep a person can sink when he starts to crave a little money. (and also how many people get affected by one person?s selfishness....I tried to count the death toll one day and gave up at 8--might be off by one or two) But haven't seen it undedited since it first came out--I can only stand to watch now on regular TV because unedited it is way too violent and has too many F-words flying around-not to mention a few racy parts I ?d just as soon forget) But having said all that--it is also probably my favorite role for Frances McDormand. I was glad she won her Oscar. I still remember the acceptance speech she gave-and I don't think I can say that about too many others--but she was talking about how great it was as an actress to play such a character and have the opportunity to work in independent films.

I also though William H. Macy and Steve Buscemi (not sure on my spelling) were terrific too.

But I think this movie would only have been so-so if it had not been for her. She was spot on with Marge's character. The way they mixed the stereotypes in with the story (yah sure...you betcha) are typical Coen Bros. And she works with it and also makes it work for her--(does that make sense?)

My favorite scenes are the ones she has with William H. Macy. I love when he tells her that all the vehicles are accounted for and she keeps after him about it. ? Are ya sure? 'Cause I mean, how do you know??

And then Macy?s character just gets all flustered ?Ma'am, I answered your question!? And then he says something like ? I?m cooperating here?

My husband is forever saying that to me when I ask him something. (I think I told you it seems like we are always quoting some kind of line from some movie around here.) Then I always answer him back...."just don?t flee the interview? :-)

I wonder how many bazillion pounds she gained making this film because she is eating something in just about every other scene!! But it is part of the charm that makes her character so great. And I love how she consoles her husband about his stamps by telling him that it's better he was only chosen for a 2 cent-er( or was it a 3 cent-er?) because people will get to use them more when the postal rates change. It's kind of like she's this sweet, lovable, great big pregnant woman who's a cross between Andy Griffith and Columbo. And somehow it all works to make a really terrific character.

Ok--enough rambling about Margie--thanks for letting me share! :-)

I just finished watching The Guilt of Janet Ames and what a terrific and unusual

lilttle movie it was. I admit I was boo hooing at the end, which was a completely unexpected

ending. And nobody told me about the PETER IBBETSON angle that is so central to

the story! I absolutely loved that.

I hope TCM airs it again, and if they ever do a "Rosalind Russell Box Set", they should

include this little gem.

One thing was sort of jarring, Sid Ceasar doing one of his manic routines. Amusing, but

unexpected and somehow out of place.

Oh Bronxgirl!! I am laughing so much right now, I may wake up the neighbors!! (and I have an acre wide yard around my house!) That guy was right on the money! (Do you think that was his REAL belly?? "I'm carrying kind of heavy load here!") :-) I would never have imagined anyone would have the time or inclination to do something like that!! Too funny.

"Sir...you have no call to get snippy with me!!" Ha! The neighbors may be calling the police on me at any moment! :-)!

Message was edited by: rohanaka

He really nailed Macy and Frances, didn't he, lol? So glad you enjoyed it!

This guy is good; check out his Lee J. Cobb from 12 ANGRY MEN in the Lookalikes Thread in Hot Topics that I posted, and he's done a lot of other stuff on YouTube. (including HARVEY, but he can't quite recreate the magic that is Jimmy Stewart)

Ok--this guy just has way too much time on his hands!! I found your post in lookalikes and watched the 12 Angry Men one...he did great! But then I kept fiddling around watching some of the others--never did come across Harvey. But he did a great job on Jurassic Park--he does a good Jeff Goldblum---but his Richard Attenborough was terrific! The best one I saw though was evidently one of his early ones...The Princess Bride. He was almost like Wallace Shawn's long lost son or something! He has him down pat! (He even looks like him with his facial expressions and such) I think the Fargo one was the best...but this one rates a close second. :-) What a funny guy! I finally had to stop watching because if I don't sign off of here, I may never get up for church in the morning! I'm an hour behind the time that posts on here, but 1 am is late enough for me!

Here's the Princess Bride one for anyone who cares--I am lousy at links--some day I will have to figure out how to do it. Hope it works.

Message was edited by: rohanaka

Sorry I had to write back during church, Ro, I just haven't been home for a couple days.

I love your take on "Fargo", and I agree that it would be nothing at all without McDormand's wonderful performance. But then, I am always a big fan of unassuming, offbeat detectives, like Columbo or Brenda Lee Johnson in The Closer. McDormand is one of those actresses that I never get tired of seeing, and her name in the credits is enough to make me watch a movie. Did you see Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day?

Steve Buscemi I always like, his way of bridging comedy and drama even within a scene is kind of amazing. Peter Stormare was truly frightening to me.

You aren't kidding about the amount of food McDormand put away in this movie- I love the scene at the buffet line- she just piles the most enormous amounts of food onto her plate!

Macy is a really great actor- I like that even at the depth of his need for money, you can see the humanity in him.... this is the kind of desperation and denial that really rings true- if you ever lied to your parents and got caught, you can identify with him just a bit....his stubborn and deluded attempt to lie even in the face of overwhelming evidence reminds me a little of Richard Nixon....

It is definitely a story about good and evil, but also about how evil can come from the most simple places where you least expect it... I think this one appeals to both "black and white" and "grey" audiences.... :)

Message was edited by: JackFavell

I agree--that color line goes back and forth there maybe for a while in the gray area--You sort of feel sorry for Macy's character getting stuck working for his father in law and all--but I don't have too much compassion for him very for very long. He used his wife (without her knowledge or permission) to try and rip the old man off, he exposed her to danger that ultimately ends her life,(although I don't think he really intended for that to happen). And think about how he had a chance to do the right thing when sees how it's affecting Scotty--of course by then everything was out of hand and had gotten turned into a blood bath--but he didn't know it. He could have at least tried. To me, he was every inch a black hat guy. The only difference between him and the two "thugs" ( I agree Stomare was VERY scary) is they were just more honest about being bad guys.

PS--I LOVE the Closer! (She spends a lot of time eating too--but it never seems to affect her in the slightest! (though I guess she has been trying to cut back some since last season) Wouldn't it be great to see Brenda Lee and Marge as partners!! Margie could bring them in and Brenda Lee could get them to confess. And we could spend the whole time listening to them go back and forth saying "Ya Hon, you betcha" and "Thank Yeew!" :-)

I think there was one on there from Uncle Buck...but I did not stop to watch it. I was afraid to keep watching because I'd have been there all night. And I have never watched much of anything on You Tube--and now I'm afraid to go back because I might get hooked! :-) Some of his impressions are better than others. (His Tom Cruise and Nicholson still need work--at least on the one I saw from A Few Good Men) But I agree-he's got a future! At least he knows he's got TWO fans anyway! :-)

Ladies, please continue your Coehn conversation, I just wanted to get in

a few thoughts on a movie I saw before they flee my brain, as they usually

do. :)

*_Shadow on the Window_* (1957)

Directed by William Asher ("Bewitched") this was a neat little thriller starring

my new cutie Philip Carey, Betty Garrett and Jerry "The Beave" Mathers as

a little boy who witnesses a murder. Beaver is so cute, he's still really little

and even though he doesn't get to say much but just look scared, he's very

sweet and so "typically boy". Philip and Betty are his parents, separated,

and she's taken freelance secretarial work and its while on one of her assignments

the tragedy takes place. She brings Beaver with her to a man's house where

she's to do stenographic work and while the boy is outside playing three juvenile

thugs break in the house, kill the man and take his cash but are in a dilemma

what to do with the woman and how to get away (why they don't just take the

man's car or her car is not well explained---they think they'll get caught too quickly

in a stolen car :0 ). Meanwhile, the child saw them kill the man when he peeked

through the window and wanders off, unbeknownst to the others, and is picked up

by some truckdrivers walking about in a daze, unable to speak and explain what

happened. It's from there up to Philip Carey, who conveniently happens to be a

police detective, to find out what happened.

I managed to stay very interested, the pacing was fairly brisk and it was kind of cool

to see John Barrymore, Jr. (nice physique, wonder where he got that from) as one

of the punks. Not a perfect movie but I thought it benefited from a good cast and

I enjoyed it.

3beaver_window.jpg

and Jerry "The Beave" Mathers asa little boy who witnesses a murder. Beaver is so cute, he's still really little and even though he doesn't get to say much but just look scared, he's very

sweet and so "typically boy". He was such a cutie when he was little...I will end my comments about him there... :-)

Miss G, this sounds like something I would like to see someday. I am kind of a 'crimeshow junkie"--but don't like too violent or too much of a "formula" where it all gets rapped up too quickly--I like a few twists and turns in the plot. And who could resist the BEAVE?? I noticed it's not on TCM's schedule at this time...was it just on and I missed it or did you watch it elsewhere?

YouTube addiction is a magnificent obsession!

I wish Brandon would put up more re-enactments. I think he basically

has more hits than misses.

Wouldn't you like to see him do Brando AND Anna Magnani from

THE FUGITIVE KIND?

I bet he could pull Anna off, LOL