Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Rambles

MissGoddess

like to see him do Brando

I've never seen the Fugitive Kind, but will take your word on it because I think he would do GREAT with Brando....( I can picture him doing the classic "STELLA!! line for sure) Maybe he should open up a place on his site where he can take requests!

*Bonjour Mademoiselle mon amie caramel dure au buerre.*

bonjour mon amie pirate debonnaire, swashhead!

*Intrepide? Moi? Well, tres bien, but I have to still work on my steely gaze. Being intrepid is nice but you have to have a steely gaze.*

oh you have a steely gaze! you have been learning it from the frankfurter. heehee!

*Helen wears her hair both ways. There is a scene with Signor Carella where her hair is, uh, down. (of course)*

i cant wait to see Helen in this movie, i stil havent gotten it yet, but i will. i will. :)

i bet her acting is superb, no matter how small her role is.

*Netflix and college don?t mix anyway, you?re better off. Instead of studying Helen of Troy you?d be watching Helen of Mirren, tsk tsk.*

yes, but i dont spend all my time watching helen mirren.....honest! heehee! i share my time with gary and greer as well. ;)

*You know, I was going to ask you sometime how your grandma was doing because you said that she started you on classic movies when you were five years old (Can you guess where I read that?)*

where did you read that? i cant remember. grandmama is doing great! stuill working at organizing her whole library of movies. she is copying each movie onto disc and getting rid of her VHS tapes that some have bad quality anyway. and thrn she is colorfying them into categories and numbering each disc as she goes. everyone in the family thinks she is crazy, but im the only one that actually knows and understands what she is doing and how she thinks and works. heehee!

*and that you still watch movies with her. But yesterday I?m eavesdropping on you and ?Frankie? and what do I read but that you?re drinking all your grandma?s wine! Tsk, tsk ...but I guess that means your grandma is doing okay, right? (Okay, okay, so you only took a sip.)*

i didnt drink all my grandmama's wine....i drank a sip! grandmama is always giggling with me and they say that releases stress, so thats good and she's doing alright! ;) have you been dropping eaves on mre and frankie? shame on you shame on you! "its a shame that people like us dont jump right up and marry someone just to show the world a good example." ~dolly levi (hello, dolly!)

sorry, everytime i say "shame" i always think of that one phrase she says to walter matthau. so i just had to say it. heehee! i always say that to my parents too and they look at me like im a wierdo. of course! ;)

*Mon dieu, Mademoiselle , that's some creative French right there. Please don't ask me to scan it grammatically, I wouldn't know where to begin. But's it's very cute, I wouldn't change it for the world. And, bien oui, my taste ain't so bad...for a swashhead. Merci.*

yeah i know, sometimes i mix up the grammar,b/c it is a wee bit confusing to me, but im learning!

*Actually Where Angels Fear To Tread takes place ca. 1900-1910. And no, no, nothing tricky here. Helen is great. It's just after raving like a maniac on how much I love this film and recommending it ad nauseum, I only hope that you and MissG will like it...otherwise you may come after me with your sword.*

thats funny! okay so i was a bit off on the time period. holy joe! heehee!

as long as there isnt too much naughtiness being done by helen, im pretty surely ill love it. i already know april likes it, she just doesnt remember too much about it.

*The fussy is Judy Davis. We've been having fun around here with fussbudgets but, seriously, if the Academy were to award an honorary Oscar for Best Performance as a Fussbudget, Judy Davis would be one of the five nominees. She is very fine in this movie, though she may overdo it perhaps just a little, but she?s quite good (and fussy).*

i knew you would bring her up into your fussbudgets list! heehee! thats the only thing im not looking forward to in this movie. i dont wanna see some woman being overly fussy about everything...i want everything to be sappy and romantic and to have a gloriously happy ending, but i already know thats not gonna happen. heehee!

*Egad!!! No way, Je suis gentillehomme filibustier, and I would never have a sword fight with a girl! Besides, you've heard of that "hell hath no fury," saying, haven?t you? I may be intrepid, but I'm not that intrepid.*

you reminded me of William Powell in Life With Father when you uttered that first word. so you are saying you would never put up a fight with michelle yeoh if she was trying to kill you in a jackie chan movie? you wouldnt put up a fight with an angry woman pirate trying to commondeer your ship?

inigo:

"you seem like a descent fellow, i'd hate to kill you"

dread pirate robbins:

"you seem like a descent fellow, i'd hate to die."

:)

*Oh, I get it. You don't care if Laffite gets diced, it's just the French lessons you're worried about But I don't blame you, les lecons francaises sont tres importantes. And you won't need anybody else besides "sweet April" and "Frankie." Tous les deux sont a merveilles! You will be in good hands.*

dont be silly! you also are good for entertainment.....just kidding! goodness how could one be so mean? i could never do such a horrid thing......frankie no comments to that sentence please. :)

*Please write me a pirate song. Then sing it to me. My sources tell me you like to sing (sneaky). I'll watch it on youtube and you will be discovered and then have your own show on cable.*

you do like to drop them eaves dont you? heehee!

okay hear i go......(clears throat)

yo, yo, yo, it is a pirate's life for me

yo, yo, yo, and he hates to fight girls

yo, yo, yo, the swashhead is so debonaire with his swordfighting ways!

okay so that sounds a bit on the corny, side, but you left me no time silly!

*i dont thini many pirates nowdays watch the history channel much. heehee! they might get scared and run for their mommies. after all every pirate needs a mommy!*

*They'll never admit it though.*

i think this one just did. heehee! your secret is safe with me....and all of us who read this thread. ;)

*C?est pourquoi je suis stupide. Je suis gentillehomme pirate et je fais souvent les betises. Les autres pirates se moquent toujours de moi. Mais ce m?est egal car les pirates stupides comme moi n?aiment pas a torturer des autres. Mais, a vrai dire, il faut admettre que je n?aime pas les sacs appeles les i-love-lucy parce qu?ils sont enormement stupides aussi. Maintenant tu peux aller procurer tes gants longs et noirs and ton epee pour me tuer, mais je m?en fous parce que j?aime la vie dangereuse.*

boy when you mean a french lesson, you really mean a FRENCH lesson! heehee! okay, im still trying to read half way through. it takes me a while to fully somprehend a message that long. give me a minute. heehee!

*From sip to slurp. Why do you continue to listen to the Champoo Floozy?*

i never slurp! its not ladylike!

april isnt a champoo floozy! she is my sweet sister!

*april is right,*

*Who and never.*

now look frankie, jsut because you are jealous of april being right, doesnt mean you have to be mean about the situation.

*All of my posts are sweet and kind to the innocent girls, Guilty Girl.*

wait a moment please while i pick myself off the floor from giggling so much. ;)

*And what's that in Marilyn's hands? Channel my tush! That's booze! What has the Finishing School Girl done to you*

i never said it was Channel. so there! second of all, its only a glass full of "booze", and it is probably wine. its not like it is rum or something indecorous like that. marilyn would never do something like that. no of course not. heehee! now remember when you reply, that i am sweet and innocent! heehee!

*The next five thousand have to be about how much he loves Gary Cooper, Greer Garson and John Ford films.*

*Talk about trash! On second thought, let's not.*

lets not talk in such haste! let's think about this first....now all these fiolms have something in common....they are sappy, romantic, good hearted, heroic! why in the world whouldnt you want to watch them? holy joe!

Miss G, this sounds like something I would like to see someday. I am kind of a 'crimeshow

junkie"--but don't like too violent or too much of a "formula" where it all gets rapped up too quickly--I like a few twists and turns in the plot. And who could resist the BEAVE?? I noticed it's not on

TCM's schedule at this time...was it just on and I missed it or did you watch it elsewhere?

Hi Ro---it did air a couple of weeks ago but a friendly TCM member sent me a dvd-r copy since I

missed it. I hope they show it again so you can see it, or if I ever figure out how to burn dvds

myself I can send it to you! :)

Burning a DVD just sound so awful!! :-) Again--another technophobic moment for me!! Very nice of you to offer--maybe I can find it on VHS or something at the library. Will look around--my list of things I want to see is growing every day.

He needs to try filming in a different room in his house-I think every thing I've seen has that same piano and stuff in the background....and let's get him some more costumes too!! We could become his agents....You choose his material, and I'll pick out the locations and wardrobe...I am seeing the dollar signs already. :-)

Bronxling---I know you like horror movies, have you ever seen *Revenge of the Zombies* with

John Carradine? I think I"ve seen it, a long time ago on TCM. Anyway, author Scott Eyman

wrote a funny piece about it (it's airing on a network I never even heard of, "MGM HD" ). Here

it is (he sounds like you the way he writes, maybe you are soul mates? Too bad he's married.):

Zombies and John Carradine in HD

By Scott Eyman | Monday, July 21, 2008, 10:17 AM

The cable channel MGM-HD usually runs second and third tier junk from the Orion and AIP libraries, but there?s a weird gem available this month that?s worth firing up the TiVo for. ?Revenge of the Zombies? is a 1943 Monogram cheapie, in which John Carradine - as usual, stuck in alimony hell - is breeding a race of zombies to join the war on the fascist side.

It has a certain deranged logic that Eli Roth should appreciate: zombies, after all, could serve as cheap cannon fodder who wouldn?t be dissuaded by nasty head wounds.

The film would be deserving of notice for the plot alone, but Carradine is surrounded by one of the most bizarre casts I?ve ever seen. His main minion is James Baskett, who a few years later would win an Oscar as Uncle Remus in Disney?s ?Song of the South.? (Baskett sports a hairdo identical to Don King?s!)

Then there?s the B western star Bob Steele as a southern sheriff, the 50s TV star Gale Storm as the ingenue, Mantan Moreland (pictured here) for archaic ?feets-do-your-duty? comic relief, and, speaking of archaic, Madame Sul-Te-Wan, whose career began with Griffith?s ?Birth of a Nation,? here playing the local sign woman.

And all of this in HD, which is unusual in and of itself, because Monogram was the second lowest rung on Poverty Row and original negative material is extremely rare. (Beneath Monogram was PRC, followed closely by oblivion.)

The picture itself is pretty standard Monogram - four or five crummy sets, actors who are mostly at sea, and a script that plays like it was thrown together waiting for an AA meeting to begin.

So you can imagine my surprise at the consciousness-raising snapper at the end, after John Carradine has been dragged under the swamp by his dead wife, the zombie queen.

Mantan Moreland is taking the pretty black domestic back to Harlem, where, he tells her, she?ll get a good job and they can get married.

?If I have a good job, I don?t have to get married,? she says.

I am woman, hear me roar - and at Monogram in 1943!

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/culture/entries/2008/07/21/zombies_in_hd.html?cxntfid=blogs_culture_club

I hope everyone is watching *Night Must Fall*, the performances are so brilliant, especially

Robert Montgomery! He's amazing!

This needs a dvd release. I can imagine Hitchcock directing this movie, the "charming

villain" and cat-and-mouse aspects are right up his alley.

*bonjour mon amie pirate debonnaire, swashhead!*

Bonjour, cherie, qui compose les chansons de pirates magnifiques

*oh you have a steely gaze! you have been learning it from the frankfurter. heehee!*

No, Big Frank no longer needs a steely gaze. The intimidation factor is superfluous when you already have swagger rights. The Cowboys are the cream of the NFC ;)

300px-Anonymous_portrait_of_Jean_La.jpg

No, here is my steely gaze picture, thanks to our own, the High and Exalted, The Goddess of the Prolific, 12,000 plus posts and counting, dispenser of wisdom on all matters cinematic, the inimitable *Miss Goddess*, who was nice enough to post the above picture recently of the doughty and redoubtable Capitaine Laffite in all his wondrous steely gazeness?or is he pouting?...

*i bet her acting is superb, no matter how small her role is.*

You bet right. Both Helen and Helena are good in this movie. Do you like the latter (H. Bonham Carter)? She is so cool. They are good friends in the story.

*yes, but i dont spend all my time watching helen mirren.....honest! heehee! i share my time with gary and greer as well. ;)*

I like Gary Busey and Jane Greer too. Gee, what a coincidence. ;)

--

>You know, I was going to ask you sometime how your grandma was doing because you said that she started you on classic movies when you were five years old (Can you guess where I read that?)

*where did you read that? i cant remember.*

This time no dropping of the eaves. On another thread somewhere you posted a link for me to your GGR site and I read your bio there.

*grandmama is doing great! stuill working at organizing her whole library of movies. she is copying each movie onto disc and getting rid of her VHS tapes that some have bad quality anyway. and thrn she is colorfying them into categories and numbering each disc as she goes. everyone in the family thinks she is crazy, but im the only one that actually knows and understands what she is doing and how she thinks and works. heehee!*

Hooray for grandma and I'm glad she's doing well! I have always kept good records of all my tapes as well. She?s doing it right.

*;) have you been dropping eaves on mre and frankie? shame on you shame on you!*

I'm no good, I tell ya...just no good.

*"its a shame that people like us dont jump right up and marry someone just to show the world a good example." ~dolly levi (hello, dolly!)*

*sorry, everytime i say "shame" i always think of that one phrase she says to walter matthau. so i just had to say it. heehee!*

Well, it may be a good quote but I hope she didn?t do it. I mean what if they get a divorce?

==

>that's some creative French right there. Please don't ask me to scan it grammatically, I wouldn't know where to begin. But's it's very cute...

*yeah i know, sometimes i mix up the grammar,b/c it is a wee bit confusing to me, but im learning!*

Foreign languages are torture to learn, tres difficile. The only reason I know what I think I know is because I majored in it and have a degree. But I make lots and lots of mistakes because second languages are hard to learn. So don't let ole Laffite give you a bad time about your grammar, tu fait tres bien, and keep that French a-comin', okay? ...and don't worry about mishaps. We'll make up our own grammar if we have to ;)

*as long as there isnt too much naughtiness being done by helen,*

Pas du tout. You will approve of her in this movie.

*i want everything to be sappy and romantic and to have a gloriously happy ending, but i already know thats not gonna happen. heehee!*

Disclosure: Laffite chokes up at the end, and not only there, a few other spots too. We fearsome swashies don't like to admit to gettin' the chokies so just pretend I didn't say that, okay? ;)

--

>The fussy is Judy Davis.

*I knew you would bring her up into your fussbudgets list! heehee! thats the only thing im not looking forward to in this movie. i dont wanna see some woman being overly fussy about everything...*

Don?t worry. Her fussiness is part of the story and Judy does a good job. I think she?s funny at times. You?ll see.

==

>Egad!!! No way, Je suis gentillehomme filibustier, and I would never have a sword fight with a girl! Besides, you've heard of that "hell hath no fury," saying, haven t you? I may be intrepid, but I'm not that intrepid.

*you reminded me of William Powell in Life With Father when you uttered that first word.*

Egad!

*so you are saying you would never put up a fight with michelle yeoh if she was trying to kill you in a jackie chan movie? you wouldnt put up a fight with an angry woman pirate trying to commondeer your ship?*

If the woman pirate is good looking I might ask her to my cabin for a drink. If she wears a patch over one eye and looks good with a machete between her teeth, we'll recruit her. Although Laffite, swashhead extraordinaire, is feared far and wide as all get out, there is a chivalric element :) that most pirates don't have :( . So there is an aversion to killing members of the fair sex, even those with long black gloves and a sword ;) . As far as "michelle yeoh" is concerned, well, I don't think I would ever find myself in a "jackie chan movie." I don't even know michelle (does she wear a patch?) :D

*inigo:*

*"you seem like a descent fellow, i'd hate to kill you"*

*dread pirate robbins:*

*"you seem like a descent fellow, i'd hate to die."*

Good movie. Inigo is a great character and the epitome of swashy cool.

==

>Oh, I get it. You don't care if Laffite gets diced, it's just the French lessons you're worried about...

*dont be silly! you also are good for entertainment.....just kidding!*

I'm practicing soft shoe.

*goodness how could one be so mean? i could never do such a horrid thing...*

You mean slice up Laffite? I know that, you're nice. But you sound kind of scary when you talk about goin' and gettin' your long black gloves and your sword ;)

*okay hear i go......(clears throat)*

*yo, yo, yo, it is a pirate's life for me*

*yo, yo, yo, and he hates to fight girls*

*yo, yo, yo, the swashhead is so debonaire with his swordfighting ways!*

*okay so that sounds a bit on the corny, side, but you left me no time silly!*

This is really _cute_, ma chere amie. Merci milles fois for composing that little ditty. I like that "swashhead" line. I hope your muse will inspire and you will come up with another verse or two sometime. Tres charmant. I love that yo yo yo stuff 'cause Laffite is such a yo-yo. ;) Next time Laffite ascends to the highest yardarm to survey the high seas, he will sing to the winds. (Now, that's corny) ;)

*every pirate needs a mommy!*

They'll never admit it though.

*i think this one just did. heehee! your secret is safe with me....and all of us who read this thread.*

Okay, all of youse who's readin' this thread, what ButterScotchFunny just said is not true, okay? Laffite is capitaine of the high seas and maintains swashy cool like Inigo and doesn't need no mommy know how. So there? :D

*boy when you mean a french lesson, you really mean a FRENCH lesson! heehee! okay, im still trying to read half way through. it takes me a while to fully somprehend a message that long. give me a minute. heehee!*

Aww by gum, ma bonne amie, that wasn't fair to you. Let me know how yer doin' with that; you're right, that was too long. Monsieur Capitaine Laffite te demande pardon! :D

I cannot get over how romantic and glamorous this train interior is (from Leave Her

to Heaven). Talk about traveling in style!!!! Since fuel prices are so ghastly, maybe

we ought to think about going back to this---but hopefuly passengers will try to dress

the part like these two. ;)

LeaveHer2Heaven-Traininterior.jpg

Talk about traveling in style

Those were the days...I think it would have been fun to take a long journey on one of those trains like they were way back in the day. The furthest I ever went by train was from Kansas City to St, Louis and that was well over 25 years ago...I saw some nice scenery out the window off and on, but all in all, not a very glamourous trip. However it sure beat the bus ride I took going the same way a couple of years later. :-)

I used to have a coworker who used to work on a passenger train several years ago (I don't remember his exact job though--but he may have worked in the dining car) He brought in a photo album one day of pictures he took when he worked there. But as nice as they were, they still don't match up to the images you see in the older films of passenger trains and the way people used to travel.

Hi Kathy,

It did seem more glamorous somehow, at least for first class passengers. I don't

even think traveling in a plane first class feels or looks as glamorous as that

picture below. There is a certain romance attached to trains, as well.

Love that Scott review of REVENGE OF THE ZOMBIES! Yes, I love REVENGE and KING OF THE ZOMBIES; I'm the zombie girl, that's for sure!

Thanks so much! I get such pleasure out of these films than say, THE AFRICAN QUEEN, lol.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Robert Montgomery in NIGHT MUST FALL.

He gives a fantastic performance.

He should have won the Oscar over Tracy (CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS)

At least Bob had a very credible Welsh accent, whereas Spence, with the "leetle feesh..."

But of course CC has that sentimental appeal the Academy just fawns over, like KITTY FOYLE. (I'm still upset that GG didn't win for P&P)

Hahaha, a chipmunk mesmerized by a cobra! That's very accurate!

This and HERE COMES MR. JORDAN, are my favorite Bob performances. I know he did some charming work in the early thirties, but I haven't seen a lot of those films.

I just finished watching *7 Sinners*, the first and maybe my favorite, of the three movies

John Wayne made with Marlene Dietrich. It's also the one in which their mutual attraction

is the most palpable (they had an on-off affair over three years). And who can blame her,

the "Navy" never looked better. Bronxie---if you haven't seen this one you must. It's a fun,

rollicking and wonderfully paced twist on Von Sternberg's *Morocco* by the underrated director,

Tay Garnett. Broderick Crawford lends his broad shoulders as Marlene's overprotective body

guard and Mischa Auer is on hand for his usual sly comic relief. Albert Dekkar is extremely

sympathetic as an alcoholic ship's doctor who meets and falls for Marlene en route of her

"travels". Anna Lee even has a limited part as the 'good girl', years before she and Wayne

would appear together in *Fort Apache*. Be warned, though, the ending is not what you might expect or hope for.

7Sinners20.jpg?t=1217204799

7Sinners23.jpg?t=1217204862

Hi Miss G! I just had to jump in here and post some thoughts about the film I watched last night. (I already made a post in the "Classic FX" thread too, but wanted to talk a little more about the film WINGS.

I stayed up way too late last night--..first I watched the last 35-40 minutes of the Westerner---wish I'd come in a little sooner, but got busy and couldn't get to it. I've seen it before a while back--but anyway-when it was over they announced that Wings was the next movie scheduled and I decided to check it out as I'd always wanted to see this film. You'd think I'd do a better job of checking the TCM schedule so stuff like this doesn't catch me by surprise--but oh well.)

Boy oh boy--what a wonderful film. I don't have a huge amount of experience watching silent film. But I did not miss the sound at all. The story was so exciting and the characters were so good....it was not really necessary that I heard their actually "voices" speaking lines. In fact-I thought compared to a some of the other silent's I've seen, the dialogue flows very naturally in this film. And in between the dialogue is the "narration" that was so descriptive and well written that to me it made it seem like I was getting the best of both worlds...a film and a novel all at the same time.

At first, I thought I had this story pegged and I knew how it was going to end--who would come home....who wouldn't...etc. I have to say-I was right about the "who" part but WAY off on the "how". The twists and turns in this story were a wonderful surprise. And the aerial fight scenes and the other effects were all extremely well done--especially considering when this movie was made.

The three main characters...Jack, David, and Mary were very well written and well developed. At first, I thought Jack would be my favorite...because the first thing you find out about David is that he's the richest guy in town--and that usually means he's a jerk...But--NOT SO! And I have to say he soon stole my heart. And it is so touching the way Mary pines for Jack and decides to go "over there" to do her part as well--or is it just so she can be closer to him?? Either possibility fits perfectly with her character to the point that I think she went for both reasons.

And the "incidental" characters in this story were terrific too. I thought El Brendel was hilarious --everytime he goes to take off his jacket to show his tattoo--people think he'd getting ready to duke it out instead...and young Mr. Cooper...what a pup! I wish his character had had a few more moments on screen. But the little you saw of him....you knew everything about who he was( at least you think so--until they found that picture of his mom later on) And I also thought David's parents were just heartbreaking. The scene where he is leaving to go off to war and his mother tells him to bring back the "little bear" to her....Oh--the kleenex box was too far for me to reach it in time--I had to use the corner of my shirt sleeve instead. :-)

Well..I could go on and on all day... but will just say that this is one of the best "war stories" I've ever seen. But mainly because the "story" wasn't the war....It was these three characters and how their lives changed and their friendships grew and developed at a result of the war. I hope I get a chance to see this film again sometime....next time I will try to set the VCR.

Thanks for letting me "ramble on!" :-)

Message was edited by: rohanaka

Hi Kathy! I enjoyed your thoughts on WINGS. I find it one of the most exciting silent

movies I've ever seen. I can feel director William Wellman's passion and commitment

to it. He personally made some of those outstanding aerial shots. Even before I became

a Gary Cooper fan, I had thought his appearance one of the most stunning "star making"

entrances I'd ever seen.

Gary Cooper

I agree--it was a great start for him...I just wished he'd had a little more time on screen....later on in the film when the "bubble" scene was going on all I could think was ..."You only had Gary Cooper on here for what...2 minutes??...and these bubbles have lasted almost half an hour!!" :-)

I hadn't seen Wings for a huge long time, and I too found it incredibly fun to watch. I loved loved loved "Buddy" Rogers- what a cutie and he had lots of natural boyish verve. He was a great match for Clara. The aerial shots were so exciting and realistic- I found myself flinching at some of the bullet ripping shots (typical Wellman to lure you in with cutesy banter, then show a pilot getting blown away...), but those slightly violent shots really added to the suspense when our boys got into the air.

Don't tell me I missed Bobby night!? It was the one evening I had promised myself to watch in the Rozfest. I am sooo disappointed. I really wanted to see Night Must Fall again after all these years.

It's amazing to me the number of really great movies Rosalind Russell was in. I hadn't really paid attention before to the sheer number of good movies she made, with super co-stars. I also missed Sister Kenny which was one of my mom's favorite movies. :(

Hey, Miss G- there is a Lee Marvin film on tonight that I have never heard of or seen called "Monte Walsh". I am curious- have you seen it? I know you are a Lee Marvin fan. Is it any good? "Bad Company" is on after and it is quite good but maybe not your cup of tea.....

Hey, Miss G- there is a Lee Marvin film on tonight that I have never heard of or seen called "Monte Walsh". I am curious- have you seen it? I know you are a Lee Marvin fan. Is it any good? "Bad Company" is on after and it is quite good but maybe not your cup of tea.....

Hi Jackie! I'm so sorry you missed "Bobby Night" but fortunately, TCM does air Night Must

Fall with some degree of frequency so keep checking the schedule.

*Monte Walsh* is one I've missed but I am determined to watch it tonight, the story

sounds right up my alley (very "Misfits" like):

"An aging cowboy faces changes in the West with the rise of civilization.

Cast: Lee Marvin, Jeanne Moreau, Jack Palance. Dir: William A. Fraker. C-99 mins"

"99 minutes" --- Directors still knew how to tell a story without making it a marathon. I can't

stand how looooooooooong movies today are. The badness just gets stretched out. If it's a

good movie I love for it to go on forever, but many of my favorites are under two hours (with one

NOTABLE exception :P ).

It would be a great idea to play Monte Walsh, The Misfits and Lonely Are the Brave in a

"theme" evening because they all touch on the same theme. I'm sure there are others, too.

Directors still knew how to tell a story without making it a marathon.

I was just thinking that same thing when I watched "Stagecoach" last night- a breezy 90 minutes! My daughter didn't even have time to complain that I was hogging the TV!

I'll try to watch Monte Walsh too. I got the TV last night, so I don't know how successful I'll be tonight.

It would be a great idea to play Monte Walsh, The Misfits and Lonely Are the Brave in a

"theme" evening because they all touch on the same theme

Great programming suggestion, Miss G! I can think of a couple- Ride the High Country and The Shootist. I think Electric Horseman fits the bill as well but it may just be dated at this point. I don't remember it much. But I think the ones you mention are the cream of the crop. I am still waiting to see the movie Hearts of the West again- It is about a young farmboy (Jeff Bridges) who becomes a B-movie cowboy during the early talkies... Andy Griffith plays an aging stuntman who teaches him the ropes, so to speak. It's another of those movies that I caught years ago on tv and liked, and as I recall, Griffith was just great as an aging cowboy whose career is slipping by.

I really like Andy Griffith. In his early days he seemed, to me, to take up somewhat where

Will Rogers left off. Somewhat.

My Mom loves *The Electric Horseman* so I sent her the dvd. I like the songs by Willie

Nelson.

*Monte Walsh*

download.asp?FileID=38153501