Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Rambles

MissGoddess

Andy Griffith!!! What a guy! (Though I must admit I just prefer him in his folksey kind of roles--His show from the 60's is still one of my all time faves And Matlock was fun too.) He's been in a lot of movies too, and some of his characters are quite different from his TV roles...almost scary. I don't know if it's the story line of the movie so much as it is just the fact that I am used to seeing him act like such a great all around guy and then to see him turn so mean and awful...it's kind of like watching your sweet old Grandpa go "psycho" or something. :-)

Speaking of Monte Walsh--is this the same story that got remade into a made for TV with Tom Selleck? I'm not a huge Selleck fan, but if this is the one I think it is, the story was really good and as I recall, Selleck did ok. (I think it was a tnt or usa network thing--not exactly sure) I might be remembering the wrong movie...but that's what happens when you get old. Don't know if I will get to watch the Lee Marvin one tonight or not, but hope to try.

Message was edited by: rohanaka

If you mean Andy in *A Face in the Crowd* I agree. I don't like that movie but he's certainly

a good actor.

I think his folksy rendition of Shakespeare, especially Romeo and Juliet, is very funny. It

was a part of his stage routine and I think he even included it in one of the "Andy Griffith

Shows".

Yes, Kathy, it's the same *Monte Walsh* remade by Selleck.

I think his folksy rendition of Shakespeare, especially Romeo and Juliet, is very funny

"Romeo, Romeo wherefore art thou, Romeo?? I'm right here behind this pea bush!" (another family favorite!) :-) If I recall he also has one about football that it very funny too.

Did you ever see "No Time for Sergeants?" I think that may have been his big break, but not sure.

A Face in the Crowd just makes me shudder! And he also was in something I saw on TV--might have been a made for TV thing--where he played this horrible patriarchal bully--he more or less terrorized his whole family.He might have even been a murderer or some other sort of criminal... I don't remember too much about it because I saw it YEARS ago--but it just made me sick to see him play such an awful sort of guy

Give me that Mayberry crowd any day! :-)

Now, see, I am a big fan of "A Face in the Crowd". That "dark side of fame" thing is fascinating to me.....plus I think Andy is terrific in it.

He made a quirky movie last year called "Waitress", and he was super in it. In fact, I wished he'd been in it more. He played a crusty old man (surprise!) who came to the diner every day to eat pie.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> He made a quirky movie last year called "Waitress", and he was super in it. In fact, I wished he'd been in it more. He played a crusty old man (surprise!) who came to the diner every day to eat pie.

I've heard good things about *Waitress*, I may rent it.

I thought *Monte Walsh* was quite good and realized that I had seen it before, probably

as a kid on TV. It was the tubercular Jeanne Moreau that sparked my recollection.

Lee's hair made him look older than he would have otherwise---his face still looked the

same as it did in Liberty Valance, only his hair got old.

Aaaaaghh. My TV or cable station garbled up the first half hour of *Monte Walsh* ! First, the picture kept stopping and starting, then eventually all I got was a black screen and a message that said "no signal received".... Grrrrr. I gave up and watched my copy of *The Racket* instead. At least Jeffrey will be pleased that I finally saw it. I am quite disappointed because the beginning minute and a half of *Walsh* looked so promising. You are right about Marvin's hair, LOL! - when I tuned back in at the end he looked much younger (without the beard) and his face was smooth and tight looking. I missed *Bad Company* too, but only because I fell asleep.

I only got to see just the first little bit of this last night--but I think there must have been something going on (with the signal)because I had the same problem with our cable service out here. I changed the channel to get away from the black screen...and then we sort of started "surfing" and I finally fogot to go back to it. I think I fell asleep too--because all of a sudden it was like 20 minutes later and my husband and daughter were sitting on the couch reading and the weather channel was on...but nobody was watching it. (I'm going to call it a "power nap") :-)

Hi Jack--I decided to pop over here from the "Silent" thread--to tell you another bit about my daughter watching Chaplin--I did not want to distract from the Chaplin viewers...maybe you will read this sometime later on..

Earlier this evening when we started watching...we sort of missed the very beginning but came in just at the part where he is working on the assembly line...right before the food machine scene. My daughter said--"Mom--what is Robert Goulet doing with all those tools??" I started cracking up. (Not too many 5 yr olds know Robert Goulet by name) There was a commercial on tv a while back for some sort of snack food where it shows what happens when you get distracted by hunger at work....and they had Robert Goulet sneaking in and messing up everyone's offices.( I think they stopped playing it after his death--but their slogan was something like eat our snack and "keep Goulet away." My daughter used to stand in front of the tv and yell at him..."No Robert Goulet...you put that back!" when he'd climb across the ceiling and steal stuff.

I think she was 3 when it first came out, and now if she sees any man on TV with dark hair and a mustache...she automatically thinks its Robert Goulet. I think she was actually disappointed when I told her it was Charlie Chaplin. She went around the rest of the time calling him "the guy who looks like Robert Goulet." What can I say...weird runs in our family. :-)

Oh my gosh, you made me literally laugh out loud....Jf I had been drinking soda, my computer would have been covered... Your daughter is a scream.....I used to like that really bizarre commercial for some reason....

Earlier today, my daughter asked me if this was the same channel that played the fat one and the thin one..... I had to laugh because we watched "The Music Box" with Laurel and Hardy months ago and she has never forgotten. Chaplin must have reminded her of it, but she doesn't realize that I watch this station ALL THE TIME!

Ha haaaa!! kathy, that's the sweetest, funniest story about your daughter. Did she like

Charlie? I would think kids would love his movies, especially the short films. I watched

*A Woman of Paris,* the documentary and *Modern Times*. I adore him, always have

and always will be in awe of his heart as great as his talent. I missed recording *City Lights*

(but I got home in time to see the last ten minutes which ALWAYS reduce me to a puddle

of tears) as well as *The Kid* which may actually be my favorite. *The Gold Rush* was always

my favorite but now I'm leaning toward The Kid. I'm recording *Limelight* tonight, which I have

never seen. I just know it's going to depress me.

Did she like Charlie?

Yes--for the most part. She really loved the factory scenes--especially the part where he is eating (or trying to eat) the corn on the cob... and she also liked the roller skating scene. I haven't ever seen the other films you mentioned...(I have seen parts of The Kid, but not much--sorry I missed that one this morning) I did see most of City Lights earlier, and I've seen the one that's one now ( Dictator) a long time ago...now that the evening is winding down for everybody--will try to catch the end of it before I hit the hay. I wish I could set my VCR for the other you metioned coming on later....we got a new vcr/dvd thing...and the other night was the first time I tried to tape with it...I could not figure out how to get it set on the channel I wanted--(so now I have to go looking for whatever I did with the crummy instruction book) so won't likely get to tape it tonight...you'll have to tell me how you liked it.

Jack--your computer moniter sounds like mine....minus the soda though. :-)